Average World Gym price?

I was just looking at World Gym in Calgary and you can get a monthly membership for around NT$470. This is the basic tier though. It goes up from there.

That’s likely for the World Gym Express branches. In Taiwan they are around $588. Pretty bare bones gym setup, but not bad if that’s all one is looking for.

Cos that’s useful in Taiwan.

I wonder how much for a Taiwan wide membership?

I want access to all World Gyms in Taiwan because I get around.

Do you need to make asshole replies to everything?

I was responding to a comment another poster made comparing the price of World Gym in Taiwan to the price in Canada.

If you don’t think it’s relevant, then just ignore it.

It’s irrelevant and confusing for a Taiwan price thread. You don’t need to get so worked up either way.

1 Like

I previously paid $1188 (3 year contract) and $1288 (2 year contract) which covered all of north Taiwan branches (except the two Elite branches). I’d imagine covering all of Taiwan branches would be a bit more(?).

Any price updates for world gym? My current place is trying to charge me twice even though their advertising has a set price.

It also takes ages to sign up for WG as you have to listen to their long sales pitches.

3 Likes

Its the worst…i still feel trepidation when they go near me.

Did they learn these tactics from detectives wearing down suspects during interrogation or what.

3 Likes

Why do I need to speak to two representative before being given pricing? And then the whole time feeling I’m not getting standard price?

4 Likes

Cos its the good cop bad cop routine.
Its stupid.

3 Likes

My current gym, I signed up online and they take the money from my account every month with a direct debit. Also no contract, I can cancel at anytime.

Oh I went to WG a couple of months ago, and they told me that would be a few hundred dollars more a month if use Credit card, rather than debit card, because of ‘banking costs’

I guess they are somewhat covered if you cancel the Credit Card payment.

Just feels like a business model that no longer fits the times

4 Likes

After looking it seems world gym are giving first month free until June 15.
You can see it here.

But of course there’s no price guide. Would it be rude of me to just wear headphones and listen to music while they’re trying to do their sales pitch on me?

3 Likes

“how much are you paying at your current gym?”

Why don’t you just fuck off

1 Like

A new WG branch opened near my place, and they had special pricing of 599 a month. I jumped on it, and it’s been great for me.

3 Likes

Ok. So for shits and giggles I decided to randomly walk in to the world gym and ask about the 30 day free then zero sign up fee.

The girl was nice enough. She was new and a bit nervous to speak English. So I broke it up with Mandarin and things went nicely. I did the BMI test which came back at a reasonable 11 but my weight was down 5kg weighing in at 90kg.

Of course the place had more than I needed but so does every other place I’ve been to since I’ve been in Taiwan. I don’t need yoga. Not interested in the spinning bike class. Not joining any dance classes. Just want to do my thing with my headphones on and leave. Wouldn’t even use the spa or sauna.

The first price I was given was the elite membership price. Plus they wanted to charge me $2888 sign up fee. So I showed them their website deal. Lots of scratching of their heads. More haggling.

They came back to me with a special foreigner price on a 36 month contract. I’m like can you show me the different contract rates. I am I am they said. No. You’re just writing numbers on a blank piece of paper. Print out the contract rates and show them to me.

Nope.

So what about the 30 days free and then sign up?

We can give you 14 days free but only if you sign a 36 month contract.

But that’s not what the deal says. It clearly states to make an appointment, go through all this that I’ve just done, have the BMI test, and get 30 days free before signing up.

At this point the guy says “the other world gyms are too far for you to travel to.”

So I left. The guy could’ve been one of my students when I first came to Taiwan. Not sure if that means I’m really old or the kid was really young. Or if I’ve just been on this rock for way too long and have become too Taiwanese. And sure I’ve been here a while but he treated me like I was fresh off the boat.

If you’re wondering what the special foreigner price was it was about the regular price for membership that could be used at all 46 Taipei world gyms. Except I wouldn’t be allowed to use any other world gym. Just that one.

7 Likes

All the other gyms will just tell you the price and conditions before you join. I dont see the competitive advantage of World Gym.

1 Like

They employ nearly the whole gambit of car-salesman manipulative tactics. I’ve been through the process twice now. I told them: “I know what you’re doing, it’s not going to work on me. Let’s talk price.” However, they also take advantage of Chinese “manners” knowing that people don’t just walk away to make them loose face. My wife was shocked that I was that “直接” with them, and I said, “they’re wasting 3 hours of my precious time, and they know it.”

As fitness is becoming trendy among the millennials, there are many independent and small gyms with free weights popping up throughout Northern Taiwan (also in other cities and townships), with direct and competitive prices. It’s been no longer necessary to waste your time and money at World Gym since (in my estimation) 2018.

5 Likes

I had a similar experience in 2012 with world gym with them playing sleezy car salesman tactics so I personally just did a lot more mountain climbing instead. But yea there is a lot more gyms opening up that are independent as well as local community gyms.

I needed to take a shower after meeting with the salesguy at WG and I can’t imagine those tactics bring customers in

1 Like