Awesome Things About Living in Taiwan

I’m surprised to hear you say that. You seem to be in your element

I was trying to think of something out of the many things bouncing around in my thoughts, and @Dr_Milker milk already said it, but I will have to speak up again for the medical care

Coming from NYC where (at the time at least) you always watched your back, I also love walking around anywhere anytime looking at the buildings or whatever

2 Likes

The US is a big place. Customer service was shite in NYC, and was great virtually every other place I’ve lived.

1 Like

Boooo down with this thread boooo boooo :-1:

We like negativity and complaining. Boooo down with the positivity boooo hsssss boooo
:-1:

7 Likes

public transport, not owning a car and avoiding road rage has brought so much peace of mind to me

I love the mountains here. I spent two days this weekend just driving and hiking around Yangming Shan with some out of town guests. Just beautiful. And knowing that it’s not nearly as beautiful as other places here fills me with excitement for future adventures.

5 Likes

This has generally been my experience in the places I’ve lived in the U.S. People are friendly, and service is usually good. I was surprised by all the bad attitudes in Singapore the first time I went. It was almost as bad as Hong Kong. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

One of the biggest advantages of Taiwan compared to any other country is that we get daily news delivered by the K-Man.
Any country without the K-Man = literal shithole

9 Likes

Agree, it’s very accessible for a major city, to me.

2 Likes

Something I like about Taipei in particular is the general blasé, don’t-give-a-fuck attitude of most people. Nobody is going to get in your business, and you can be as eccentric as you like without attracting a crowd.

16 Likes

Something that’s real in Taiwan.

Just letting you all know up front I’m not taking part in this love fest. Carry on without me

4 Likes
  1. Taiwanese breakfast (I’m talking about those “soy milk” type places. I love that stuff.
  2. When it gets hot in the spring and the girls start wearing the SHORT shorts. Makes me crazy.
  3. Temple festivals. No, most of them aren’t good for the environment. Most of them are loud and chaotic. But in the right mood they’re great.
  4. The pork sausages made with the rice wine. I can inhale those.
  5. Sitting in front of convenience stores in an obvious state of intoxication. Can’t do that back home.
  6. Walking through Jade Mountain National Park.
  7. Taipei, Taichung, Tainan or Kaohsiung at night. On a weekend. With money in my pocket.
  8. Not having to constantly worry about who has a gun and why.
  9. Reliable public transportation.
  10. Not having homeless camps in every direction.
8 Likes

image whatevs man…

5 Likes

Only at Longshan Temple.

1 Like

This is true. It’s getting really bad.

1 Like

After a visit to Singapore I kissed the ground in Taiwan on my return. Korea and Hong Kong as well. Many of the service people in Singapore, Seoul and KH were so surly and rude. Like they are doing you a favor when you go to buy things from them.

I didn’t have change at the Singapore mrt so I was trying to figure out how to get change at the machine to enter the mrt. A mrt employee comes over, sees I’m a tourist, asks what I want and when I said I needed change she went on a 5 minute rant about how I should have brought exact change and she is doing me a big favor by making change as it isn’t her job etc… and food shops just grunting and throwing food at me.

Taiwanese service is generally over and above my expectations at all times. Even when they are in a bad mood they still put on a happy face.

14 Likes

Can’t be anything like Seattle.

That’s true. Canada is somewhat better but realized it was also shitte after visiting Japan. That was a whole different level of wow

3 Likes

Your list needs some work. Not very convincing. Sitting outside 7 11 drunk? Fun?

2 Likes

The only problem is if you go home. You look like a weirdo then :slight_smile:

2 Likes