Awesome Things About Living in Taiwan

I try to dial it back a little when I’m in the States.

1 Like

I think Taipei is a great city. It has everything you need, is convenient to get around, lots of food options, activities, convenient airport transfer, safe, clean. I think its one of the best second tier cities in the world as a package. I love Taipei. Also access to mountains and nature from the city is fantastic

4 Likes

And Taipei main station.

I usually think I speak too negative about Taiwan. Maybe I’m wrong.

Compared to most people here, you’re a ray of sunshine.

3 Likes

Just from today:

The HSR. Affordable. Clean. On time. Two hours to do an interview in the middle of nowhere deep South. Less than 2 hours to head back to Taipei, same day, same efficiency.

Taxis everywhere. Can get them by app. Anywhere. Clean, comfortable. Do you want water? Kleenex? Is the temperature OK? This way or that way?

3 Likes

You’re moving south?

Nope. Just took a day trip for an interview, meaning I interviewed someone for our publication. Took great pics.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/daily-photos-2019/175914/508

1 Like

I think the ability to make a decent life for yourself and your family, even if you’re not rolling in the dough. Not possible in many other places in Asia and I think even many cities now in the US. And I guess related to this, you can eat out at a pretty nice restaurant without having to feel too much financial pain. Lobster and steak in a couple of weeks, for example, is what we’re planning to celebrate a certain milestone, and we didn’t hesitate for a second about whether it would be wise, etc. to be so extravagant. I think I would think twice in, say, LA.

9 Likes

Please give this person the Forumosa prize of the year for the most sensible post of the year. Couldn’t agree more!!! Am astounded by the “value-oriented” behavior by so many folks

3 Likes

Sure it is, with the right people.

I hear I hear you. I don’t know what I was thinking or saying. Losing it here.

1 Like

Ha ha maybe time to log off then. The usual suspects will still be here when you get back.

1 Like

Culturally I think Taipei is very meh especially when it comes music and sports (teams) and pubs. The weather is the pits too. The houses look like shite and are really cruddy. Shit I Posted in the wrong thread but there’s only so many times people can repeat value, transport and safety and mountains outside of Taipei :grin:. OK I do like the Riverside paths a lot , but the design of the walls and roads and the sewage smell of the river makes it far from awesome.
The noise levels are ridiculous in some roads. Taipei needs more work to be awesome.

I’m not a big fan of Taipei it’s just a decent place to live and work mostly (history just a 100 years old, most just fifty years old areas ), I’m generally a fan of Taiwan.

3 Likes

Brian playing it close to the line here with a mix of Taiwan is great / sucks post. But ain’t that just life. The sweet with the sour

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a good post but they can chop it out since I agree it’s not the topic .:grin:

It’s OK I played it dangerously close to offside my self.

Boooo booooo

2 Likes

Location is another big plus to living in Taiwan. Cheap, convenient flights to all over Asia, and not too bad flying times to North America, Europe and Australia.

5 Likes

100% agree. It’s nice having Japan and Thailand relatively close. Winter vacation is coming, and I like thinking about where I could go.

2 Likes