Axis & Allies, or Allies & Axis

American Exceptionalism on Taiwan. How do you Taiwanese feel about this? Are you guys doing enough kissing of the behinds of the American saviours you owe everything to?

We Taiwanese fought the Yankees in South Pacific jungles as part of the Axis force. As one in the losing side, I had to admit that it’s the American, who defeated us, not the Chinese.

We Taiwanese fought the Yankees in South Pacific jungles as part of the Axis force. As one in the losing side, I had to admit that it’s the American, who defeated us, not the Chinese.[/quote]

Well, I kowtow to no one.

Taipei Air Raid by the American Air Force, not the Chinese AF. My point, neither Chiang nor Mao’s contribution was significant for the Allied to win the WWII. China was more like the victim than the hero that rescued the victim. But of course the victim deserved some credit for doing whatever he can to resist the aggression.

Who, exactly, is this new guard you speak of?

Political analysts all blast the DPP for totally failing to raise a younger generation of politicians that grasp today’s politics. The show is still being run by Su Tseng-chang, Frank Hsieh, Yu Shyi-kun (however he spells his name), Chen Chu… The same people who have been in charge of the party since the beginning. The real crisis will come when they go up against younger rising KMT stars like Sean Lien, who seems to be pretty popular.[/quote]

It was from an article that Shelly Rigger wrote that I can no longer find. She talks about the old guard DPP and their fanatical hatred for anything Chinese and how they continue to keep power for themselves while not allowing the younger generation (around 40 and below) from taking much power. The younger generation, she said, doesn’t have the same fanatical hatred for anything Chinese like the old guard and understand that they must have a relationship with China; how that would play out, nobody knows because they’re still waiting for their time in the spotlight. It was quite the interesting article that I wish I could find.[/quote]

I just found an article of hers entitled “Taiwan’s Rising Rationalism: Generations, Politics, and ‘Taiwanese Nationalism.’” I only glanced at it, so I’m not sure whether it’s the article you refer to. The article I found is located here: eastwestcenter.org/sites/def … /PS026.pdf