B12 prescription?

Oh no, this was same day for a common medicine. One store - NT$420, adjacent store - NT$199 (the Shanghai place, NT$160). Only one isolated example of course, but it seemed pretty random. Same with nicotine gum - the price varies between NT$870 and over NT$1300, with some of those near TMUH among the most expensive. It seemed weird that they weren’t more competitive.

I’m guessing it’s because most people buy with NHI, so they don’t think all that much about it. I’ve even negotiated the price down before.

Can you buy OTC medicines with NHI? I thought NHI only applied to things you’d been prescribed?

Some stuff can be OTC and prescribed in Taiwan.

But this is just when you have a prescription from a doctor and are getting a pharmacy to fill it, yeah?

Which would just be covered by NHI.

Yeah, that’s my point, but…I’m confused. What are we talking about? :sweat_smile:

Yeh, I dunno either.

If you have a clear clinical reason, such as blood levels below 200ng/L, to inject B12 you should be able to get it prescribed.

If you have a less clear clinical reason, such as blood levels in the low-normal 250-350ng/L, range, or symptoms, to inject B12 you should still be able to get it prescribed.

If you don’t have a any clinical reason to inject B12, one wonders why you want to do it, but if you shop around the doctors you might still be able to get it prescribed.

I had a clear clinical reason to get B12 injections, so I got it prescribed, but now my blood levels are very high and I’ve stopped getting the injections, and am just taking a high dose orally.

1 Like

Ended up finding them here. $15NT per ampule. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Common for athletes before athletics competition.

1 Like

Yup, I used to do that the night before.It became like a ritual, no.idea if it actually helped. Anyway it is cheap and it helped psychologically.

Do they let you buy just two amps or do you need to buy the box?