BARF Diets

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is feeding their dogs a BARF diet. I have been feeding my dogs mostly raw chicken (necks, heads, backs), with weekly pulped up veggie mix and occassional whole fish. Some sites seem to think this is enough, while others advocate more supplements. My veggie mix usually contains yoghurt, garlic and apple cider vinegar).

I was hoping there were some BARF feeders here who could maybe share their feeding tips etc. By the way I have three Great Danes and a Beagle and they look great on what I feed them, just need to be sure.

There are different opinions on this, as you already know.

We feed our 2 girls BARF as well. They get beef in the morning (no bones) and chicken wings in the evening. I also feed them raw eggs, and occasional sardines. As for supplements, I sometimes supplement kelp, omega 3 fish oils, and enzymes. I sometimes give them yogurt too.

Its been a while since they have had garlic or apple cider vinegar.

Stray Dog is an expert in this matter! :rainbow:

We feed the dog a BARF diet too. It has noticeably helped his fur and arthritic knee. Wish we had done it sooner. And his poo isn’t as bad (unless someone feeds him human food at the dinner table).

We feed him the usual stuff: chicken parts, eggs, veggie mix, supplemented with some grain: rice or oatmeal, or yoghurt.

Steeeviboy wrote

[quote]We feed our 2 girls BARF as well. They get beef in the morning (no bones) and chicken wings in the evening. I also feed them raw eggs, and occasional sardines. As for supplements, I sometimes supplement kelp, omega 3 fish oils, and enzymes. I sometimes give them yogurt too.
[/quote]

Steeevieboy, just a couple of questions: Are the sardines straight from the tin, and where do you get Kelp…it is a seaweed I think :s

More on BARF diets in this post and the ones below;
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 587#150587](Me against Pedigree

And, for those unfamiliar with it, here is a site re the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet.

We do not feed the BARF diet exclusively… but it makes up the main portion of Dofu’s culinary delights.

Also, as a radical departure from BARF, I usually boil the stuff I feed to Dofu. Pig and chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, breasts, livers, etc… He also gets whatever cuts of beef, pork, chicken or lamb that I see, as well as beef tendons.

This morning he had a nice cheese and ham omelet with some potato thrown in for bulk. He loves potatos.

We never feed commercial dog food.

Tigerman, Boiling is cooking isn’t it? Sounds like he’s getting lots of meat and no bones!

I order kelp online. Will get the website up here later. Kelp comes in a dry powder. Just sprinkle it on the food is how I do it.

Sardines. I sometimes give them the oil and sometimes give them the actual sardines. They are the ones avail at Carrefor. They get the runs if they get too much of this, so I only give very little. Yes, they come in a tin.

Poo is the best indicator of how the diet is going. Hard is good. Soft is bad. Careful with hearts, gizzards, organs too much will give them SERIOUS runs.

Boiling is cooking. But, actually, Dofu gets lots of bones also. He loves them.

[quote=“Steeevieboy”]
Poo is the best indicator of how the diet is going. Hard is good. Soft is bad. [/quote]

Are you sure about this? I’ve heard the exact opposite. Loose stool is better on their digestive tract, easier to pass, etc…

[edit: apparently this is wrong, see below – this edit is just to avoid passing on misinformation…]

Dofu’s poop sometimes bounces off the ground.

Firm is better; the dog-food companies would love for you to think the opposite.

Firm stools help dogs express the anal glands and keep intestines clear of parasites.

I can kick my dogs’ stools into the gutter - it’s great! Bet you can’t do that!

I too can kick your dogs’ stools into the gutter…I just choose not to! :raspberry:

Okay here’s an honest question: When I was little I always wanted to give our dog leftover chicken scraps, and my parents would tell me “No!” :no-no: … that dogs had a tough time chicken bones, that they splintered more easily than other kinds of bones and got stuck in dogs’ throats.

Ever since then, I’ve never actually tried it, (who wants to be the first experiment and make the poor dog choke on a bone?) But now you’ve got me curious: Is this just an old wives’ tale?

Okay here’s an honest question: When I was little I always wanted to give our dog leftover chicken scraps, and my parents would tell me “No!” :no-no: … that dogs had a tough time chicken bones, that they splintered more easily than other kinds of bones and got stuck in dogs’ throats.

Ever since then, I’ve never actually tried it, (who wants to be the first experiment and make the poor dog choke on a bone?) But now you’ve got me curious: Is this just an old wives’ tale?[/quote]

I’ve heard the same thing – specific to chicken bones. But, I heard they can puncture a dogs stomach/intestines.

It’s COOKED chicken bones that will cause problems.
My dogs eat chicken wings raw.

Exactly right. Uncooked chicken bones are safe. :scooby:

[quote=“Steeevieboy”]It’s COOKED chicken bones that will cause problems.
My dogs eat chicken wings raw.[/quote]

Oh…okay – I missed that part. Good to know.

Cheers guys! :bulb:

My dog scarfed down cooked chicken bones all her life. Often she’d find a rotten chicken carcass, scarf it before I could catch her, wait 20 minutes, puke it back up and scarf it all over again.
And she’d splinter big bones into evil looking shards that she’d also just swallow whole.
Then next day she’d pass dogshit-flavoured powder.

Er… dogshit-smelling powder. That’s dogshit-SMELLING powder. :blush:

[quote=“sandman”]My dog scarfed down cooked chicken bones all her life. Often she’d find a rotten chicken carcass, scarf it before I could catch her, wait 20 minutes, puke it back up and scarf it all over again.
And she’d splinter big bones into evil looking shards that she’d also just swallow whole.
Then next day she’d pass dogshit-[smelling] powder.[/quote]

…while shaking like a dog shittin’ peach pits. (sorry, I always liked that saying)

Poor dogs, everybody’s always watching them take a crap, the odd contortions they gotta go through to get their colon in a straight line for…what? Why do they do that? They get over that embarrassment real quick, though. (if that’s what it is - I got my doubts - their ears back like that while looking so shamed, knees knocking together) :laughing:

Dogs’re funny.