Bars

Planning on heading back to Taiwan for the first time since 2019 - any current recommendations for decent bars where I can sit (preferably at an actual bar) and lounge around by myself for a bit? Looking for recommendations in the DanShui/Chuwei areas, as well as in Taipei (I usually stay at the Sheraton or the W). Good beer selection preferable, if not, a good whiskey selection.

So many bars in Taipei especially cocktail bars these days but pub style not so many. Quite a few hidden speakeasies. Craft beer places all around.

Sogo Zhongxiao area probably 30 or more, Anhe Road area probably 40 or more. Smaller concentrations all around.

Danshui, not so much.

Really depends on desired style, clientele, desire to mingle or not, location.

1 Like

I just need a place to sit at a bar and relax with a beer. I’ve had plenty of great drinks in Taipei, but so many places are primarily set up for good sized groups, and if they have a bar, it’s like 4’ long. I want to be around people without being with people sometimes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can belly up to the bar here. It’s big enough for what you’re looking for I think

5 Likes

cool, looks promising.

any other suggestions (from anyone)?

Brass Monkey, On Tap, Teabar, James Joyce, Parklife, Adlon (old Carnegie’s), Maji any of a few pubs, Hooters Xinyi, Gordon Biersch, Aye, Two Three Comedy Club, Redpoint, Green Door, My Place, My Other Place, Ximen Beer Bar, most craft houses… Should get you started in central Taipei. All have a bar to belly up.

6 Likes

It’s been one hot minute since I’ve been to brass monkey, but don’t they have a bar with like 5 seats and a mediocre beer selection?

I tried to hit up on tap a couple times last trip, but they were closed for some reason.

Gordon Biersch and Hooters…c’mon now. :wink:

Haven’t been to the others, thanks, will look them up.

I recall liking Revolver, but maybe being a weeeee bit old (by a couple.decades) for the target audience,.late on a weekend night. :wink:

Anyone have thoughts on 23 public? I’ve heard they have a good beer selection. There was a place on Nanjing W Rd that had a great selection of Belgium beers, but they either closed down or I just think I remember where it was (and it always felt like I was bothering the guys there (and they had no bar, just crappy little tables)).

I’m just throwing places out there for consideration.

Revolver has a varied age group but mostly a certain age group.

They’re a ton of craft bars including a couple chains of craft bars if that’s more to your interest.

2 Likes

@tango42 A great list to get you started.

23 public is a good spot and they also have their music room in Maji.

Parklife has a nice beer selection

1 Like

Mikkeller perhaps? Although that’s Danish not Belgian.

1 Like

no, that wasn’t it. They had this wall of bottled beers:

@Poundsand That place was called BeerAmmo, it closed down and isn’t there anymore

1 Like

That’s it! Bummer to hear that they closed. :frowning:

I like places like this too. Just yesterday I ran across this review which was posted 3 days ago:

Beer Rush Taproom
No. 40號, Lane 51, Section 1, Da’an Rd, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106

“A very comfortable place where you can hang out by yourself”

Haven’t tried it yet but planning to.

4 Likes

Wow, this is what the old 45 turned into? Had no idea. Haven’t been there for eons.

I would recommend
Learn Bar
Redpoint Taproom
Taihu Da An
Zhangmen at Huashan 1914 Creative Park
and 23 public
All have a chill atmosphere and bar counters to sit at although some are not that big. If I had to choose one, I would go with Learn Bar.

2 Likes

I’ve been there a couple of times and I’m not a fan.

This is good. I really like their fried chicken.

1 Like

Off the top of my head:
The Public House
Intention
Bar Weekend
The Primrose
B Line by A Train
Indulge
Ron (Xinyi or Shilin)

I haven’t been to Indulge as it’s really difficult to get a reservation. None of these are near Tamsui except the one in Shilin.

1 Like

if you need a reservation, for a bar … (words fail me)

4 Likes

You need a reservation for most bars.