Battle of the racist toothpastes

黑人 (Black man toothpaste)

VS.

White man toothpaste

*Personally I prefer to choose a toothpaste brand which does not racially divide based on perception of tooth quality. Colgate all the way.

I’m a whitey myself, but lately I’ve been using ‘Salty’ toothpaste. Maybe it has something to do with brushing away all the salty language I use nowadays.

I still remember the time before Darlie changed its name.

I have been recommending Salty Mouthwash to the wife for some time now…

Personally I’m suspicious of all the toothpastes here that I don’t know for no good reason. I wait until Wellcome or Watsons run sales and then stock up on Colgate or something similarly “safe” - probably not any safer but the Darlie package just gives me the creeps.

getcustoms.com/2004GTC/Articles/ … 05-22.html

Human differences aren’t the only differences
Sometimes the main problem isn’t with the personnel but with their products. The US corporation Colgate-Palmolive found this out in 1985 when it bought out the Hong Kong-based Hawley and Hazel Chemical Company. Like Colgate, Hawley and Hazel produced toothpaste. One of Hawley & Hazel’s products had as much as 70% of the market share in some Asian countries. Unfortunately, that product was a toothpaste named “Darkie.” Not only was the product name problematical, but the package featured a smiling image of a man in a black face and a top hat, resembling the singer Al Jolson.

When marketed to Asians, this image generated no protests. Asians weren’t offended by the image since the association was with brilliant smiles. The product had been marketed since the 1920s and Colgate didn’t want to risk losing sales by adjusting the name or image. Nor did Colgate intend to expand the marketing of Darkie toothpaste outside Asia.

However, while a Hong Kong company was relatively immune from pressure from US minority groups, Colgate wasn’t. Within two years, Colgate found itself under such pressure from US-based groups that it announced it would change the name and logo.

Colgate handled the change well. The company changed the image to a racially-ambiguous smiling character in a top hat and tuxedo, and it changed the name of the product from “Darkie” to “Darlie” toothpaste. The change was done gradually, over the span of a year, which gave customers time to adjust. Finally, Colgate-Palmolive picked up all the redesign and repackaging costs, and even agreed to reimburse Hawley and Hazel for any lost sales.

Interestingly, the only changes were those that Westerners could easily understand. The Chinese logo of Darlie toothpaste remained the same: Chinese characters that read “Black Man Tooth Paste.”

There are thousands of intercultural difficulties due to mergers and acquisitions across all industries. Whether you are a high growth, high acquisition firm, or are considering a single international merger, management should be aware that they face long-term maneuvering across cross-cultural minefields.

Excerpted from OAG Frequent Flyer, May 22, 2002

© Copyright 1990–2007, Getting Through Customs. All rights reserved.
This data, or parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any form without permission from Getting Through Customs.
Getting Through Customs offers seminars, online reference tools, best-selling books, and culturally correct gifts for the business traveller.
For more information visit our website
Contact Information: Voice - (610) 725-1040 FAX - (800) 529-8167 E-mail - TerriMorrison@GetCus

EDIT: in SHORT. todays DARLIE is made by COLGATE

Brushing your teeth is for girls.

Real men chew sticks.

err… where do I find those sticks Tom?

Darlies is owned by Colgate after all, hm?

Reminds me of when a Taiwanese friend asked me if Jason’s was a well known American brand that came over from the States - at the time I didn’t know, but when I looked carefully at the signs behind the cashier it turns out Jason’s is owned by Wellcome. Probably just a scheme to exploit the higher end of the market and get more money for the same darn stuff they sell at any Wellcome.

The image may have changed, but the theme remains the same.

And I still think it smells like beetle nut juice.

err… where do I find those sticks Tom?[/quote]

http://www.janchipchase.com/blog/archives/2006/04/clean_teeth.html

MUSWAK is what you want.

It’s a well kept secret of Tom’s that he very very rarely brushes his teeth. Brushing teeth with sugar and fluoride is not a good thing, in his eyes. And twice a day seems like total madness. Flossing is good. Chewing is good. Toothpaste is not. Brushing is not. Twice a day seems like damage.

So now you know why Tom’s breath smells. And his teeth are slighty yellow.

I thought that was a UK thing…

Does the newer Darlie still foam uncontrollably like Darkie used to in the 1980s?

I showed my wife this thread, I couldnt stop laughing at what she said…

Me: “Honey take a look at this.” “I never knew there was racist toothpaste in Taiwan.”

Wife: “Whats that?” Looks at pictures in 1st post.

Wife: “Oh yeah, I like black man better, I don’t like white man. White man smells strange.”

Me: :astonished:

[quote=“Quarters”]I showed my wife this thread, I couldnt stop laughing at what she said…

Me: “Honey take a look at this.” “I never knew there was racist toothpaste in Taiwan.”

Wife: “Whats that?” Looks at pictures in 1st post.

Wife: “Oh yeah, I like black man better, I don’t like white man. White man smells strange.”

Me: Shocked! [/quote]

And if you are a white man, did you take the hint and go take a shower?

Fortunately, there aren’t any black people who can read Chinese, or else Colgate might have gotten themselves another earful.

I think you’re all missing the big picture here… ALL TOOTHPASTES ARE WHITE or mostly white with some green… how come there are no Black toothpastes, huh??? so ALL THE WORLD’S TOOTHPASTES ARE RACIST!!! :fume: :fume: :fume:

There are also red and blue toothpastes. And I remember using a black colored toothpaste when I was xiao hai zi back in the 1980s. I think it was a Halloween novelty or one of those demonstration toothpastes dentists use.

And in the interests of ebony and ivory harmony, where can I buy ‘Whiteman’ toothpaste to put on a Darlie toothbrush? Or a ‘Whiteman’ toothbrush that I can put Darlie on?

There are also red and blue toothpastes. And I remember using a black colored toothpaste when I was xiao hai zi back in the 1980s. I think it was a Halloween novelty or one of those demonstration toothpastes dentists use.

And in the interests of ebony and ivory harmony, where can I buy ‘Whiteman’ toothpaste to put on a Darlie toothbrush? Or a ‘Whiteman’ toothbrush that I can put Darlie on?[/quote]

i rather liked DARKIE toothpaste. Is Darlie exactly the same taste? Wouldnt mind having one here in the usa.

I also liked Kolynos toothpaste in Taiwan. Heard Colgate bought them out too (including in South America). Is Kolynos toothpaste still available in taiwan? IT had a very strong flavor but was great.

Seriously, a black halloween toothpaste?

Cool. :sunglasses: