Battle of the racist toothpastes

[quote=“AAF”]A new black toothpaste to make your teeth white
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/n … hpaste.jpg[/quote]

Sorry, unless that means something funny or offensive in Dutch or Afrikaans, I don’t think we can count it…

[quote=“Elegua”]I never understood White Man toothpaste. White men don’t have good teeth - just look at anyone from the UK.

I wonder why they don’t have Yellow Man toothpaste?[/quote]
Obviously, both “black man” and “white man” toothpaste are obviously racist against blacks.

Black man toothpaste exploits the image of the smiling African with bright teeth which contrasts with their skin. White man toothpaste is a white supremacist product, obviously claiming that toothpaste used by white people would be superior to those used by other racists.

Everyone should ban them both and just use “Chinky” toothpaste. Clearly the culturally superior toothpaste.

Obviously what is considered socially inappropriate changes with the times. Consider the below dolls that I photographed last week at my folks’ house. Note the big eyes, big lips, woman picking cotton, “uncle” playing the banjo. My mom has had them (in a box in storage) since she was a child, about 70 years ago. She also has some equally old stereotype indian (today one can’t even say indian) and chinese dolls. I’m sure when she got them she, like most people, simply considered them quaint, charming or funny “ethnic” dolls. If one sold such dolls today there’d be hell to pay.

Really? You can buy big-lipped pot-smokin’ rastafari ceramic dolls and their cigar-smoking, half-naked prostitute counterparts in any dollar store or souvenir shop from here to Mexico.

God, I hate P.C. issues!
What’s the big deal what its called? Its not quite the same as stringing people up from trees to choke to death and burning their families alive in their own houses is it?
Us British do have bad teeth when compared to the radioactively enhanced white ones of American movie stars. That’s a point, they could change the name to Hollywood toothpaste.
Its a laugh then that I once won first prize at a fancy dress show when I was a kid when my mum dressed me up as a Golly Wog. Robinsons only stopped putting them on their labels about 20 years ago I clearly remember and even then the world of the British simply couldn’t understand why, it was a cartoon for heavens sake, and as far as I know we had never even rode around on horseback too scared to take our white pointy hats off in front of the public, so why should we suffer the wrath of the P.C. plot?
As far as I’m concerned there should be a poster campaign showing great fat British fish and chip slobs tucking into half a kilo of lard and potatoes in front of every MacDonalds in order that young people get the gist of where they are heading in the near future. Or even better a picture of the American family that I saw all lined up on a Burger King reinforced bench, tucking into a famous mechanically reclaimed meat Whopper, they practically each had their own micro climate and I had to struggle simply to escape their accumulated gravity field.
There should also be more advertising campaigns showing how to dress as a business man. It seems Taiwan is in need of help in this area. They could have a before and after shot. On the left we have Mr Chen before his recent business trip to France here with his trousers pulled tightly around his nipples, held in place by a tacky gold belt buckle with his glue lacquered shoes and night market socks. And here we have Mr Chen on his return who has kindly removed his atire to have it replaced with a French fashion statement and now has several loose women by his side. There is no end to the positive and dramatic campaigns we could launch if we weren’t simply so damn P.C. about everything. I am told that the ‘N’ word is unmutterable in the more decent of white circles in America, but then does this explain why everyone purchases a CD from MdiddyD or Sloopdoggy, or Coldbeverage instead then, so instead of actually saying the ‘N’ word they can simply play it through their car’s entertainment system at 200 decibels for the world to hear instead? And of course for the world to realize how cool and hip they are.
Whats wrong with telling a culture of people that they have very nice teeth? Last time I checked it was not considered racism to pass on a compliment. Oh, but if you should criticize their driving habits, you might as well start giving out Opium to small children and pillaging their towns.

Spike Lee movie…Bamboozled

I ain’t sayin’ nuthin’…

Spike Lee Bamboozled…Google images results.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Obviously what is considered socially inappropriate changes with the times. Consider the below dolls that I photographed last week at my folks’ house. Note the big eyes, big lips, woman picking cotton, “uncle” playing the banjo. My mom has had them (in a box in storage) since she was a child, about 70 years ago. She also has some equally old stereotype Indian (today one can’t even say Indian) and Chinese dolls. I’m sure when she got them she, like most people, simply considered them quaint, charming or funny “ethnic” dolls. If one sold such dolls today there’d be hell to pay.

[/quote]

70 years ago? In some westernized countries, these images were shown just 20 years ago. When I was in Australia, in 1987, my very politically-correct parents (whom I love dearly) were shocked there were Pollywog cookies available in the supermarket. Although they tasted very good, the chocolate cookies were packaged in decorative wrapping showing pictures of pollywogs. What are pollywogs? The same ethnic dolls you are discussing above:

That reminds me of a character from the Japanese anime Dragon Ball Z, Mr. Popo:

Or Little Black Sambo, one of the most loved childrens books of all time, which has been banned in countless places through kneejerk accusations of insensitivity to African Americans, when it is not about africans at all, but actually concerns an Indian boy, who is not portrayed negatively but is depicted as a clever hero.

[quote]Helen Bannerman was born Brodie Cowan Watson, at Edinburgh, Scotland in 1863, the daughter of a Scottish minister. She married a surgeon serving in the British Army of India and spent thirty years of her life there. In 1898 she published the first and most famous of her books, The Story of Little Black Sambo, which she had written to amuse her two little girls.

Little Black Sambo’s publication in 1899 earned Bannerman recognition as an innovator in picture books. At that time her bright, unrefined illustrations, suspenseful narrative, and rhythmic, repetitive sentences were considered unique. The small size of the book, also a new feature, made it easy for children to hold in their hands. . .

The story relates the jungle adventures of the title character. In a fantasy setting that mixes elements of Africa and India, the hero, wearing bright clothes, encounters four tigers. As each tiger threatens to devour him, Sambo ingeniously offers each one a piece of his clothing instead.

The tigers are pleased with their new finery, but argue over who is the grandest tiger in the jungle. As the tigers scuffle, Sambo retrieves his clothing and escapes. The tigers chase each other around a tree, spinning so fast that they melt away and become a pool of butter.

At this point Sambo’s father, Black Jumbo, passes by and collects the butter, which is used to make pancakes by Sambo’s mother, Black Mumbo. The family sits down to eat, and the particularly hungry Sambo finishes 169 tiger-colored pancakes.

Still in print after almost one hundred years, Little Black Sambo has delighted children for generations, achieving a long-lasting popularity not matched by Bannerman’s other work.

Critics have praised the book as entertaining and humorous. . .

Critics have also observed that Bannerman presents one of the first black heroes in children’s literature. Little Black Sambo was initially regarded as a book that positively portrayed black characters, especially in comparison to the more negative books of the time that depicted blacks as simple and uncivilized. As racial consciousness grew in America and Great Britain in the mid-twentieth century, however, Little Black Sambo became an object of harsh criticism and heated debate. Charging that Bannerman presents a patronizing view of blacks, some educators recommended that the book be removed from library shelves; others defended the book as a harmless product of a bygone era.

Complicating this issue were the various American. versions of Little Black Sambo that were published in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. Since neither Bannerman nor Richards retained the copyright, the story often appeared with illustrations other than the author’s own, pictures that are generally considered stereotypical in their portrayal of blacks in jungle or plantation settingsBannerman’s own illustrations, however, also came under fire. Some critic found the caricatures of blacks in Little Black Sambo and Bannerman’s other works demeaning. In 1947 a critic asserted that “the original illustrations use all the usual stereotypes found in malicious cartoons of Negroes… the thick lips, the rolling eyes, the bony knees, the fuzzy hair.”

The names that Bannerman used for her characters also drew reproach. Some critics charged that the names of Sambo’s parents, Mumbo and Jumbo, make the characters seem like objects of ridicule.

In a letter written to the London Times in 1972. Bannerman’s son, Robert said “My mother would not have published the book had she dreamt for a moment that even one small boy would have been made unhappy thereby”[/quote]

pancakeparlour.com/Highlight … erman.html

Here is the entire original book. And the original cover.

Here are a couple of versions by others.

A beautiful recent version, which few schools, parents or libraries will dare purchase.

And a fan of the book.

. . . who had this to say:

[quote]As child I really enjoyed the story. I would ask my mother to read me Little Black Sambo almost every night before bed. It was only after I was older did I realize the racial tones in the story.

The orignial story is set in India and Sambo is a Indian boy and his family is Indian as seen in the drawings of his family in the early editiions of the story. In addition there are no tigers in Africa. Later editions of the story mainly U.S. editions did Sambo become African. This is another example of America’s use of anything to ridicule and promote white supremacy.

And now the book Little Black Sambo is banned because it is viewed an example of white supremacy and ridicule. It is political correctness bordering on censorship. The main example of this is the fact that all copies of Little Black Sambo in the University of Michigan Libraries are housed in Special Collections and do not circulate[/quote]
flickr.com/photos/hatchergraduat … 113979751/

Sambo isn’t so little anymore…

Now I hate you people for a having a serious conversation about racial relations in the light hearted and dead for many months toothpaste thread. Go start a new serious thread elsewhere in Forumosa while I save up money to go back to Hong Kong and continue my quest for Chinky toothpaste so my more PC friends can ask me if I hate myself while I brush my teeth. :fume:

I don’t care what anyone says, the new Darlie Apple-Mint Toothpaste is friggin’ delicious.

The text on this tube reads:
“This product contains LUDERHOW and CG Fluorides which could effect[sic] the teeth and possibly cause spots, gingivitis or periodontosis.”

Most of your toothpastes are poisonous. Not only do they contain fluoride, but most also contain Triclosan which turns into chloroform when mixed with the chlorinated water in your mouth. Mixed in water in the presence of sunlight, Triclosan turns into dioxin.

It’s rare, however, to have it admitted out in the open and advertised on the product label itself. I can only surmise that it was a language problem that caused them to inadvertantly issue the warning. The Chinese version on the other side does not contain the warning.

A close-up of the label can be seen here thewildeast.net/applications/wordpress/?p=28 just click on the pick.

You can get natural organic toothpastes at Jason’s and small health food stores. More expensive but why would use paint stripper and drain cleaner in your mouth?

unimaginable

it is true that excessive amunts of fluoride, or overuse of toothpaste, can lead to locl white spots developing on teeth, due to local overfluoridation. excessive brushing can also led to gum inflammation (gingivitis) and ‘around the tooth inflammation’ (periodontosis). scary sounding words, aren’t they?

everything is a poison in the right amounts, charlie. absolutely everything. fluoride in the low amounts used in toothpaste and correctly applied is not poisonous, especially if you don’t swallow it…

triclosan is poisonous to bacteria, which is why it is put into some toothpastes (not as many as you think, but cetainly som of the larger brands). you might think then that it is automatically also poisonous to humans, but the main target of triclosan, an enzyme involved in bacterial enrgy metabolism, is not present in non-bacteria, so it is essentially non-toxic at these doses: which is why it is used. there are some minor effects on other targets in animals, though these are very low potency and need much more than the amount one can find in toothpaste.

triclosan certainly can react with chlorine in water to release chloroform, though the amount of chloroform generated in a tooth cleaning operation is far less than the amount of chloroform found in most town water samples anyway (from chlorine reacting with other compounds in the weater) . the generation of chloroform in tap water from chlorine reacting with organic compounds in the water is not a big issue, is common, and is not occuring at a rate that is at all threatening to you or your health.

the generation of dioxin, as you put it, from UV reacting with triclosan, is doubly misleading and you should be careful when you make such blanket claims. first, while there is indeed a low-rate reaction with UV to create dioxin-family molecules from triclosan, the event requires UV light, and you have to ask yourself: how much UV light do you have in your mouth? this could admittedly be a problem with the triclosan present in hand wash, soap, or even bonded to fibres in antibacterial clothing, until you then also understand that dioxins and furans are a huge family of compounds, and most of them are of very low toxicity compared to the nasty ones that alarmists like to go on about (which i am NOT defending). So, the second fault you have made is lumping all of the possible dioxins formed under your scare-banner.

read here for more info,
Rule, K.L., Ebbett, V.R., Vikesland, P.J. (2005). Formation of chloroform and chlorinated organics by free-chlorine-mediated oxidation of triclosan. Environ. Sci. Technol., 39(9), 3176-3185.
and here:
ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/ … cleid=1375

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]
You can get natural organic toothpastes at Jason’s and small health food stores. More expensive but why would use paint stripper and drain cleaner in your mouth?[/quote]

well, some people like the unusual taste combination. :lick:

oh, and which ingredients are the paint strippers and drain cleaners anyway? how do you know that the same kinds of ‘bad’ molecules are not present in the so-called ‘organic’ toothpastes? i bet you ingest thousands of molecules of the most deadly poisons into your system every meal, and breathe them in with every breath.

It seems somebody translated it back into Chinese because I got mailed this (about two taiwanese toothpaste brands) warning today at work, along with 3 other product warnings related to melamine contamination. What’s a guy to do these days, eat fruit and veg, the horror!

[quote=“Anubis”]I mentioned this issue to my wife and Taiwanese friends a couple of evenings ago.

Predictably, they were completely unaware that anybody might find the name offensive / racist in any way.

Their reaction, "It’s just toothpaste! :loco: "[/quote]

My thoughts, exactly… :idunno:

[quote=“tommy525”]hey nobody wrote who the heck makes “white man” toothpaste? and how does it compare.

and if you are white would you use that over black man toothpaste if those were your only two options? And would you use blackman toothpaste even tho you are white if you preferred the flavor more? or would you feel strange? And ditto for black people[/quote]

I see this is one of those threads that we have dug up again. Darkie, Darlie, 白人… Who cares?

Personally, I’ve been using Whitemen (Guardian of Tooth) since I first saw it. At first I thought it was an interesting novelty and something I could blog about to my folks back home ( bismarckintainan.blogspot.com/20 … paste.html ), but after using it, I found it was pretty good stuff.
I like the taste and after brushing my teeth with the stuff I find my breath is freasher and my teeth feel cleaner than using other stuff found locally.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Sure enough.

[/quote]
Lol…The wife and I both had a good laugh at this one. Priceless.

[quote=“MaGwaiFan”][quote=“AAF”]A new black toothpaste to make your teeth white
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/n … hpaste.jpg[/quote]

Sorry, unless that means something funny or offensive in Dutch or Afrikaans, I don’t think we can count it…[/quote]

Nothing extraordinary. Just means “Rotten Teeth Toothpaste” in Afrikaans. :unamused:
Bit stupid as it’s pasted onto a Marmite bottle (Vegemite sandwich spread).

An old thread, but it seems more relevant than ever. There is also news that Colgate/Hawley Hazel is thinking of changing the Darlie toothpaste branding yet again as of now (June 2020). How many of you use Darlie, and do you think its racist?

Guess where I am at this very moment…

Whiteman Toothpaste Tourism Factor

1 Like