Be Aware of Where or Who You Eat From

On New Year’s Eve, I went to this night spot where they were having a New Year’s Eve celebration. I ordered a little food there that evening, and then by the following day I started going to the toilet many times. By Saturday it wasn’t so bad but then Sunday, I woke up late and had me an omelet and everything was fine. But later that evening I didn’t want to use up my energy to cook, so I ate a vegetarian sandwich from Subway. By then it got worse. I was watching Fast and Furious 8 and almost every 30 minutes, I had to get up and go to the toilet. Then after I went to bed, I got up at 1 AM to go to the toilet, 2:45 AM, 5 AM, and 7 AM. Then after I got here to work this morning, I went 4 times, one of these times I had to go in the middle of my class.
My mother texted me and said that I should avoid eating solid foods until my system is cleaned out. All I had this morning was a drink of orange juice. I got some water so I could drink some because I have been passing a lot of liquid out of my system, and that can make me feel dehydrated. I can feel the dryness in my forehead.
It is most likely that I got diarrhea from the food I ate at this local bar and night club. There are a number of places in Taiwan where you can easily get sick from eating their foods because they do not maintain good cleanliness in their kitchens. In fact I would avoid all food vendors because bacteria gets into the foods very easily. But for places like clubs…never again would I eat food from them. I am also sure that there are a number of established restaurants that also have some bad sanitation in their kitchens. You eat their foods, and anytime someone will get diarrhea. If I was in the shoes of Chef Ramsey I would go behind the scenes of these clubs and restaurants to see what crap they have going on in their kitchens. Because I am not surprised (and correct me if I am wrong) that the food inspection standards in Taiwan is not very high in comparison to what you would see in a place like Toronto, Canada.
So if you are able to cook, do your own cooking, but if you eat out, be aware of where or who you eat from.
I don’t know if I should even eat any solid food for lunch today or not, or perhaps save it until supper this evening or breakfast tomorrow morning.

21 Likes

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

If it is bad, don’t ride it out on the toilet. Go to a doctor.

I had it really bad once. Throwing up everything I ingested and getting a fever. Went to a doctor, got a few pills and it was gone by the next day.

6 Likes

I am sorry this has happened to you, but I do not think eating here is more dangerous than any other developed place in the world. I have eaten at so many places here so far - from the most local, hole-in-the-wall places and night market stands, to international restaurant chains - without issue. Perhaps less issue honestly.

Anecdotally, I have had much worse gastrointestinal experiences from places such as Popeyes and Taco Bell back home.

Whenever you eat food, you run the risk of getting food poisoning…no matter where you are.

8 Likes

Totally thought this was a reply to the original post’s wall of text.

I mean, yeah, food poisoning. It happens, and can happen anywhere. Worst I’ve had was in Canada, probably from a sandwich I made myself. Take it easy for the first 12-24 hours; if it lasts beyond that, start thinking about a doctor. Definitely avoid anything like Immodium, because that’s going to keep whatever’s bad from getting out of your body.

Crackers and ginger ale. For me at least, drinks like Pocari Sweat work well to avoid dehydration, and if I’m feeling nausea they’re more palatable than water. If you’ve had this since New Year’s Day, dehydration may be becoming a concern.

6 Likes

What the :tent: does this have to do with Gordon Ramsey? He’s not in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Thank god for the little things in life.

4 Likes

Hey, don’t shit on Taco Bell. Er, bad choice of words.

3 Likes

Schedule one day a month out as diarrhea day.

4 Likes

At least one point in history there’s been a conversation with “Uh oh, I’ve got to run for the toilet” / “Ha ha, yes, a run for the border, get it?” / No, really, gotta run, got the runs. / “Yes, runs for the border!”

And that conversation has ended in murder, yet the jury refused to convict.

1 Like

but he was here, lol

1 Like

I once had food poisoning from 八方’s veggie dumplings which began right when I got on the night bus from Kaohsiung to Taibei. Six hours on my knees heaving into the bus toilet must have been a depressing sight. I still have their dumplings, occasionally.

4 Likes

Impressive. I didn’t use to mind cilantro; I got violently ill on something in Thailand that featured a lot of cilantro, and twenty years later, I’m finally starting to find the herb palatable again.

3 Likes

If any specific food product, or food from a specific restaurant gave you food poisoning, don’t ever eat that particular food product again, and don’t ever eat from that particular restaurant again. That’s what I learned.
This also happened to me back in Christmas 2017, I had a can of tomato soup with legumes and noodles, and then this same thing happened to me for 2 days until Christmas Eve 2017. That particular food product that gave me the diarrhea, I will never buy and eat again.

1 Like

Chef Gordon Ramsey would point out a lot of errors in kitchens that would point out the root causes and possibilities of food poisoning.

Anyone with training in kitchen hygiene and food preparation practices could do the same.

1 Like

I never had a fever, in fact the last I checked my temperature it was about 35.5 or 36.5. I also never had any nausea or vomiting. I have been through this before, I didn’t experience any nausea or vomiting, and I didn’t see a doctor over this either. I fought it naturally.

Did you enjoy the movie?

2 Likes

… or did it make you feel shitty?

2 Likes