Beat up as a child and you just don't care?

OK so as a child you faced the occasional corporal punishment ordeal. Mom told you to go to bed and you just said WTF I’m watching ‘The Box’. So she flips out, quite reasonably, and gives you something to go on with. It’s all good sport. You go to bed, she enjoys, “The Box”. Where’s the harm, really?

I can’t say because, aside from maybe a small handful of spankings, I wouldn’t say I was beat up as a child.

But, and I’m not trying to be argumentative at all, if you just don’t care, why is it still an issue?

I agree and I don’t see the issue. At boarding school I was caned a couple of times once that drew blood and hurt. However I was a boy so could not cry and had to take it (in fact it increased one’s status among the other boys, the more severe the beating you took without crying the higher your status). I was regulary hit over the head by the maths teacher and metalwork teacher with knuckle sandwiches (English folks know what they are). The English teacher slapped me in the face when I told her to “fuck off” lol. Dad used the belt for smoking or swearing. I am over 40 now and it has not affected me at all apart from sometimes when some teenage boy says something cheeky to me on the MRT or whereever and I feel like doing the knuckle sandwhich lol I sometimes think secretly “i’d like to have seen you do that in my school boy” but then remember we teach them with “love” these days. Prefects and older boys were encouraged to have plebs. A pleb’s job was to do all his housework. Being a pleb was no fun but when you got to be an older boy you could have a pleb too! Yeah Rugby, boxing, fencing and regular beatings by teachers or gangs of older boys was a damn good education they were training us for the Empire you know but I guess it slipped their minds that the sun had already set.

After some family tragedies I had to go to normal comprehensive for the rest of my education and there were no beatings or plebs or anything of that nature damn it was so boring. They were so weak those so called hard nuts of the comprehensive one punch on the nose and they would give up!

I used to get whacked with a belt (dad) and a wooden spoon (mom). That was just the way they did things in those days. Dad was a good guy; mom is great. No harm done at all.

The dickhead neighbor down the street, my best friend’s father and a church elder, harassed me endlessly about every little thing but never laid a finger on me. He did far more damage than my parents ever did.

My mom and her siblings were regularly thrashed by my grandmom for their pranks, especially my uncle who did really stupid things like shaving his head off (in the 70s in India it WAS weird), they all talk about it as if they were discussing enjoyable Christmases and I go WHAT??? She took a broom, locked the balcony and spanked you till you were blue and you are laughing about it?? And they still find it rib tickling!!

I think it is the ‘WHY’ you are spanked that messes up kids. You did sth. really wrong and got punished, you accept it, but when parents (or teachers) lash out just because they are drunk, angry, depressed or just coz they can, that messes up the children.

Sounds like my childhood, to a T. Our metal work teacher used a cricket bat on our rear ends though. My accounting teacher, in her early 100’s or thereabouts, knocked me flying off my chair when I wasn’t paying attention - she had a lot of power for a centurian. Our primary school headmaster had a glass cabinet with canes of varying thickness and length - each was colour coded, methinks he was a bit sadistic.

As for cheeky kids on public transport, I don’t get that much, but if it happens I take them down a peg or two verbally - works every time.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I can’t say because, aside from maybe a small handful of spankings, I wouldn’t say I was beat up as a child.

But, and I’m not trying to be argumentative at all, if you just don’t care, why is it still an issue?[/quote]

Corporal punishment is one of the issues of our times, isn’t it? So I care on a sociological level. That’s just basic reading skills.

Ok, well I wasn’t beat up as a child and I’m thankful for that. I believe corporal punishment is wrong and harmful, so I choose not to inflict it on my [strike]wife[/strike] child. I recognize that others will say (have said) they know it’s not harmful cuz it didn’t hurt them, but I believe they’re mistaken. No sense in arguing about it, though, as neither they nor I will change our views.

But they’re wrong and I’m right. :raspberry:

It would be pretty damn weird here, too, today. Plus, its gotta HURT! :laughing:

:roflmao: :roflmao: ahhh shaving the hair off his head.

Shaving his head off?! Good catch sandman.

I used to get the jug cord and you wouldn’t want get hit with the plug or the little bakelite connector thingy. I think that was the point where you really did know all about it and had something to really go on with.

Why is it wrong, though? It can’t be wrong. That doesn’t make sense or fit the facts.

Why is it wrong, though? It can’t be wrong. That doesn’t make sense or fit the facts.[/quote]
Makes perfect sense to me.

Why is it wrong? Because a parent should be able to raise a child well and a teacher should be able to teach a child well without beating the kid. If they have to resort to beatings it’s because the parent or teacher failed. I’m not saying one who resorts to beating the kids is a bad person; just that they lacked the patience, ingenuity, intelligence, insight, communication skills or whatever to perform in a better manner. Sure kids can be deeply frustrating at times, but one should be able to establish order and discipline through spoken words alone (including rewards and non-physical punishments as appropriate).

My wife doesn’t beat our daughter but she does get frustrated as hell, and get wound up into a crazy psychoness from time to time, due to my daughter being slow to respond to her instructions or other minor issues, and I’m sorry to see that because I have no trouble whatsoever with my girl. Never. Sure she’s sometimes a little slow to respond, but I never get angry or frustrated or crazy about it all and I honestly don’t see why my wife thinks there’s a problem, as I never do.

And, if she ever does something bad, like last night when she shot a toy gun (with no bullet) at my face, I simply calmly, firmly, seriously tell her that’s wrong and you should never do that, and SHE LISTENS to me, SHE UNDERSTANDS, SHE OBEYS. If she didn’t, if she did the bad thing again, I would tell her again even more firmly and might say no desert tonight or no playing outside or something like that, and I’m certain she would get the lesson. She DOES get the lesson, because that’s how I’m raising her: with words instead of beatings, and you know what, it works.

As I said, I don’t believe parents who beat their kids are necessarily bad. I just believe they unfortunately don’t know how to do better.

:popcorn:

I used to prefer the slap or the tawse ANY day of the week to detention when I was a kid. The tawsers got respect, the ones who gave detentions or lines were despised and reviled, the feeling at the time being that who but a nasty monster would abuse a kid so cruelly.

I used to prefer the slap or the tawse ANY day of the week to detention when I was a kid. The tawsers got respect, the ones who gave detentions or lines were despised and reviled, the feeling at the time being that who but a nasty monster would abuse a kid so cruelly.[/quote]

yeah me too at school I would have chosen a beating anyday of the week rather than a discussion on why I did this or that and do I feel bad about it. “Oi teacher are you finished yet cause all my mates are waiting outside and we got that little shit from class two to beat up and they are getting impatient”. "yeah yeah I feel terrible about pissing off the roof now can I go pleaseeeee "?

:roflmao:

I’d take the gym shoe anyday unlesss it was a hot female teacher that was going to touch my arm and look deeply into my eyes :discodance: “yes miss please can you tell me more about how I can make my bad behaviour become good”. :smiley:

“the tawse”???

Wiki is your friend: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawse

I used to prefer the slap or the tawse ANY day of the week to detention when I was a kid. The tawsers got respect, the ones who gave detentions or lines were despised and reviled, the feeling at the time being that who but a nasty monster would abuse a kid so cruelly.[/quote]
Do you think you can ever slap your boy in the face??? Do you think you can ever pick up a cane and make slash marks on his bums, and that every time he sits on it, it hurts and humiliates?? I see so many kids getting shoved by their parents, or a whack on the head, do you think if the Mrs. did that, you could stand it?? Me thinks, not. Hitting a child is wrong, and then again there is difference between a slap on the wrist and a slap on the face although both shame the child.

Wiki is your friend: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawse[/quote]

They stopped using these almost 30 years ago in schools, but I’m sure many of them are still used at home. It looks like it would hurt pretty good. :laughing:

I cannot see how avoiding corporal punishment because you have some belief system helps your child. Violence is everywhere. Learning how to live with it, deal with it, take it, and administer it is integral to becoming a mature adult, avoiding it seems like silliness.

Why is that bad? After all surely that is the point of a toy gun. Wouldn’t you just be confusing her?

What do you mean everywhere??? ANd how much is too much?? Who draws the line??? ANd can we get back to whipping our employees? or is that slavery?? how about prisoners getting some lashings?? What about adulterers getting the tawse as they call it…not to mention, a good beating to the wife and I am sure then celebrities are allowed to kick cameras and cameramen (personally I like that one)…what about teachers?? I don’t want any teacher, twisting my kids ear and giving them the ‘gym boot’. It is not a belief system…get angry with your child, yell at them, give them a slap on the wrist, see their faces and you know you’ve done wrong. And when should the corporal punishments start??? I call it beatings but well euphemisms make good conversation…what age do they begin?? Am I allowed to hit a 2 year old in the face for spraying food on me? I have personally seen a father hitting his 6 month old on the hand rather sharply to dissuade him from thumb sucking (a natural act).

Personally, why should my kid learn to live with violence coz its everywhere?? I don’t teach them to deal with starvation, sexual abuse, unclean homes, nude images, four lettered words, poverty, neglect, just coz they’re rampant.