Beer Alert & Directory II

[quote=“tigerman”]Major Alert!!!

Just went to Breeze supermarket…

They are loaded with good beers from Germany, New Zealand and Australia.

No time to name everything now…

mini kegs of Bitburger and two or three other pilsners NT$ 880.

I just bought 5 cases… two Australian and 3 German (they have Jever!)

Check it out… The guy said this may be a one-time import… depends on how it sells.

WooHoo![/quote]

What are NZ and Aussie beers like? Whats a good one to try?

[quote=“Kenny McCormick”][quote=“tigerman”]Major Alert!!!

Just went to Breeze supermarket…

They are loaded with good beers from Germany, New Zealand and Australia.

No time to name everything now…

mini kegs of Bitburger and two or three other pilsners NT$ 880.

I just bought 5 cases… two Australian and 3 German (they have Jever!)

Check it out… The guy said this may be a one-time import… depends on how it sells.

WooHoo![/quote]

What are NZ and Aussie beers like? Whats a good one to try?[/quote]

I bought two cases of the different Cascade beers they had (from Tasmania). Cascade is an excellent brewery.

I didn’t buy (only cuz I didn’t think I could fit more in the taxi) the NZ brew… I think its spelled Stienlager… maybe one of our Kiwi posters could comment… I’ve never tried it but have heard it is good.

Steinlager is along the lines of Heineken, but with added personality.
Like Heiny, Steiny’s quite a common pop in Canada.

My favorite Aussie brew is Broken Hill…a delectable pilsner. Really hard to find outside of Australia though. I found it in a pub/restaurant in Canada that carries 300 different beers from around the world (Fogg 'n Suds). Victoria Bitter is a good one too.

Whoa! Thank you Tigerman. Cascade, a very pleasant suprise . . . and Steinlager. Next thing someone will open a decent pie shop.

HG

To those attending tomorrow’s beer tasting:

The dog has today destroyed our telephone. We will try to get a new one before tomorrow.

In any event, I trust my directions were sufficiently clear.

Sharky, we’ll figure something out… but I’m pretty certain we’ll have a telephone before tomorrow.

Dofu the Destroyer! Damn dog.

Tigerman, any Boag’s Premium or Strongarm Bitter?

I got a case of James Boag’s Premium!

Didn’t see the Bitter, though. I was in such a hurry… it was lunchtime and I had to get back to the office and I was trying to figure out how to carry all the beer…

But, Oh boy… there’s a decent selection.

Boags! You’ve really made my day!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Boags! You’ve really made my day!

HG[/quote]

And Goddamn, its a Friday to boot!

Better get over there asap… while supplies last!

THEY GORT BOAG’S! THEY GOT BOAG’S! THEY GOT BOAG’S!

The wife says she will get a new telephone tonight.

Just arrived at the office for the evening shift after stopping off at Breeze. Now I’m getting dirty looks from the fossils for drinking on the job, but who cares?
The Steinlager is in a different league from Heinie. Clean and bright, citrusy and sharp, but still complex with a good strong hoppy bite. I could quite happily suck these down all night.
I’ll keep the Cascade and Boag’s for when I get home.
Amos, they don’t have VB but they have a Toohey’s of some kind, and a couple of different Crowns. As Tigerman said, lots of selection (and I didn’t even check out the shelves --just the cold shelf by the checkouts).

Now available at Breeze.

I once had the choice of flying Air NZ or Qantas and chose Air NZ because of the Steinlager.

By the way, Tigerman, how many of the Belgium beers do you drink in a sitting? I might sit down and drink half a dozen but will be well bladdered by the end of it. There’s a lot more than that for tomorrow. I’ve a feeling i’ll have to be poured into a taxi!

Well, it all depends… am I drinking witbeers at 5%abv or Trappist biers? Am I drinking Bush 12% abv? Or something lighter such as Kasteelbier at 11%abv or Piraat at 10.5%abv? … And what mood am I in mentally and what state am I in physically…

I’m a happy drunk… if I get feeling good I tend to keep going until I want to sleep… But in that state, my wife likes to torment me and make me sing songs before I am permitted to sleep… :wink:

But seriously, we’re not going to be having chugging contests… so I think we’ll be OK…

Tomorrow’s the big day. My first day of class in Beer 101. I was out of the country from last Saturday through Tuesday and hope I didn’t miss any last minute instructions. Anything I should bring now other than my bad self and some expenses money?

Well, here’s a toast in advance to new friends, new insights into beerology and that never-ending pursuit of the perfect glass of beer.

CROWN LAGER!!! WHEN DO THEY OPEN.

That’ll do just fine.

We have a new telephone.

Just got back from Breeze. Nice selection. Out of those Aussie beers they’ve got, Crown Lager has gotta be the pick of the bunch. They’re pretty much known as the premium Aussie beer, generally almost double the price of VB back home. Bought 18, couldn’t carry any more (shit, I should’ve bought a bloody slab), they’re in the freezer chillin now, oh yeah. I see they had Carlton cold there too, headache material that, although it is made by CUB, same brewers of both VB and Crown Lager, young boys beer. Those Tassie beers I don’t know much about. The Melbourne beer market is sturated by CUB (good thing) making VB easily the most sought after beer, and Crownies the special occasion one. Do yourselves a favour, and buy some crownies. Love this thread now. They better be still there next week too. Thanks Tigerman and Sandman.