Beer Alert & Directory II

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]… but damn, not when there’s a range of untried Belgian beers at a cheaper price.

I left with just one sorry Cascade under my arm but with a basket full of new beers to try.[/quote]

Do tell us which beers you purchased and how you like them!

OK, how about a raise of hands for those who feel like beer and Thai food friday…

expressed interest-

Kenny ??
Sharky
Sharky’s spouse
x3m??
Amos???

At the last tasting are you up for dinner?
fee
Hexuan
MT
flipper
mark0938
Gavin

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO COME…??

I would like to make reservations so that we are assured of having a table… please let me know by tomorrow if you are interested…

Big group or small, I am going with or without you all…

Sharky

Sharky, will struggle at the moment. But in September my wife will zuo “ing” yea zi, that’s my best time.

Guangy, I was also tempted to buy another beer, but when I saw those Crownies mate!! Almost time for another trip too.

Sharky… just to put an end to any ambiguity re my status… I will definitely not be able to make it. Take a rain check?

You bet Tiger- See you next time :slight_smile:

Sorry Sharky,
I am just back from a too long vacation, and everything in the office is a mess that needs to be fixed right away. Next time (in a year or so :wink:…)

Hey gang, no problem, I will just have to drink myself silly then without you :-0

Sharky,

Sorry. But I won’t be able to make it. Family obligations on this day and all. Enjoy the great combination of spicy Thai food and cold malty beverages.

Also, please let me know if there are any other beer-related activites. I will do my best to make future activities.

Have fun!

Sharky, I’m interested in beer AND food, but can’t make it Friday. Any plans to have an event where the food is cooked using beer as one of the ingredients? I’m reading “The Good Beer Book” (Harper & Oliver) and one chapter is on matching beers to food and on dishes that include beer. Also, last time I was at Odeon Cafe, the manager told me that he was considering going to Canada to study cooking with beer (Odeon stocks some beers from Canada). Maybe he could whip up some dishes – the beer prices are pretty decent.

Beer and food…

Hey, that would be fun!

Beerbutt chicken is always a hit- but seriously, I know there are a number of dishes being cooked with beer used as an ingredient. SET IT UP MY FRIEND…the Shark will be there :slight_smile:

Okay, I’ll talk to the guy at Odeon. By the way, the Good Beer Book says that, in general, “Pizza and lager. Raw oysters on the half shell with porter. Chocolate with impreial stout. Spicy food with pale ale.” But nothing at all about stinky tofu or chicken butts.

Also a recipe there for Cajun chicken, which the books claims goes well with an amber lager or brown ale.

Yum.

Same as you this time HG, I went in to Breeze at lunch time today with the plan of buying another slab of Crownies, but ended up walking out with 18 CL and half a dozen mixed. I see the Carlton Colds are only $56. Pretty cheap, would have grabbed some of them if only I could drag myself away from Carlton’s best. Got a couple of African banana beers, dunno why, but the though of knocking them back was interesting. Cheers Amos.

I can confirm that Guinness and oysters make excellent companions. There is an annual festival in Ireland dedicated to this particular combination.

Also…

And…

And…

Bushy’s, on the Isle of Man also makes an oyster stout.

Ok,

Jolly has three beers on tap now- a Pale Ale, a Hefeweizen and a pilsner.

The best by far is the Pale Ale. I find it reminds me of the IPA from McMinemens in Portland, I felt it had a banana nose and very citrusy taste. Jeff thought he tasted apples.

The pils was pretty good, not very hoppy or skunky as I think a Pils tends to be. But very drinkable nonetheless.

The Weizen was all together a disappointment. Nothing to write home about for sure!

Food was very good. A bit spendy, and don’t bother with the Tom Ka Guy soup, we tried it once before and were un-impressed, again this time. Order more shrimp cakes which are excellent instead!

This should appeal to you beer drinkers - there is an “official” United States Beer Drinking Team. It is “the first and only team for passionate beer drinkers in the U. S. A.”

The site is at usbeerdrinkingteam.com

Check it out. Join up. Print out your official certificate. Earn BeerBuck$. Maybe you folks can start the Taiwan chapter.

FYI Beer afficionados. Carnegie’s has Hoegaarden Draught on tap. To date the only place on the island. It’s a Belgian White Beer and very very very easy to drink. Not terribly cheap but quality never is.

[quote=“sheepshagger”]FYI Beer afficionados. Carnegie’s has Hoegaarden Draught on tap. To date the only place on the island. It’s a Belgian White Beer and very very very easy to drink. Not terribly cheap but quality never is.[/quote]What is it with you and ho’s in a garden?

this might be old news. i dunno.

but apparently, China has overtaken US as the world’s largest producer of beer.

more Qingdao, more green and brown bottles of beer.

Just curious… does anyone outside of China or outside of an overseas Chinese restaurant actually drink Qingdao (Tsingtao)? That wonderful retro '50’s logo they have is so appealing: “It is so great an orient picture!” from the official site. Look at all the photos of the white people drinking their beer… HA!

:laughing: