Beer Alert & Directory IV

I ran in to it on Monday when we went to a Ginger Duck hot-pot place in Taoyuan … Luhju … saw the posters, had to have it and try … still two waiting in the fridge, because ‘buy three get one free’ … 100NT$ a pop … makes 70 something NT$/bottle with the free one … :discodance:

I ran in to it on Monday when we went to a Ginger Duck hot-pot place in Taoyuan … Luhju … saw the posters, had to have it and try … still two waiting in the fridge, because ‘buy three get one free’ … 100NT$ a pop … makes 70 something NT$/bottle with the free one … :discodance:[/quote]
Costs $NT59 a bottle at my local store.

just bought a dozen newcastle brown ale for on sale price of 12.99 (plus 60 cents bottle fee) or about 36nt / bottle :slight_smile:

good stuff. how much are they over there?

Can you buy broon ale in Taiwan??? Well, I’ll be drinking it in a month’s time in the bigg market!

Zha now i know where the (in)famous forumosan poster “broonale” got his name !!

I notice that Carrefour is advertising Toohey’s ‘New’, and ‘Gold’ beers in 375ml bottles for 45nt each. Sounds a suspiciously reasonable price for an import.
Are these fairly fine quaffs? I’m not very familiar with Aussie bevvies.

I can vouch for the Tooheys Old (dark) as quality. New and Gold, no idea. Price is fantastic if they’re any good.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I notice that Carrefour is advertising Toohey’s ‘New’, and ‘Gold’ beers in 375ml bottles for 45nt each. Sounds a suspiciously reasonable price for an import.
Are these fairly fine quaffs? I’m not very familiar with Aussie bevvies.[/quote]

Toohey’s New is a pale lager. Think most big brewery lagers and that’s what you will find with Toohey’s. It’s about 4.5% ABV, iirc.

Never heard of the Gold, but a quick look at wikipedia says that it’s a light beer at 3%ABV.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooheys_Brewery

Carrefour has it in it’s flyer this week: Buy a six get a six (cans) for nt$218. That’s pretty good value, though I’ve never tasted the stuff.

I drank quite a bit of various Toohey’s products while spending a year in Australia many moons ago. I’ll probably end up picking some up at Carrefour for a trip down memory lane.
Thanks for the heads up!

Just did a lunch 7-11 run and saw they’ve got Boddingtons Draft cans, Erdinger Weissbier cans (never saw that before), each for 88 NT, and the Kona brand is back with their Longboard lager (personally not a fan) and a “new” Wheat Ale with Passion Fruit (??? trying it tonight), both for 59 NT a bottle.

The summer beer festival is back! I luvs it just for the Boddingtons! :lick:

I went in to one 7-11 close to home today, and they didn’t have any of these beers! I think I’ll run down to the other one now and see if they do (forgot about it earlier).

Just got back. They had Boddington’s, Pub Ale, that was it. NT79 a can. No signs about any beer sales. Phooey.

[quote=“500CBFan”]I went in to one 7-11 close to home today, and they didn’t have any of these beers! I think I’ll run down to the other one now and see if they do (forgot about it earlier).

Just got back. They had Boddington’s, Pub Ale, that was it. NT79 a can. No signs about any beer sales. Phooey.[/quote]

I think it depends where you live. I work in Taipei city, but live out in Hsin Dien, and the selection of beers in the 7-11 in taipei city are much better. i noticed they got some new kirin beers.

I’m in Danshui, and last year they had the Konas, so I figured they would. I’ll keep checking, tons of 7-11s here, someone is bound to have them.

Konas are back? I hope they have the blue label…

Sorry if this has already been posted but I though I’d share it anyway…

http://www.mybeer.com.tw/

The have a huge selection of imported stuff. I bought a case of Augustijn Blond (Belgian) for 1700… pretty good drinking!

When did it begin last year? Perhaps it’s only officially to begin on July 1st, but last year, they were pretty much available everywhere for a few months…

Edit: Their website just says that the two Kona Beers, Sam Adams and Bodington’s are available in select stores as new products. No info of a summer festival…Find 'em where you can, I guess.

When did it begin last year? Perhaps it’s only officially to begin on July 1st, but last year, they were pretty much available everywhere for a few months…

Edit: Their website just says that the two Kona Beers, Sam Adams and Bodington’s are available in select stores as new products. No info of a summer festival…Find 'em where you can, I guess.[/quote]
They don’t seem to have the blue one from last year that was excellent (can’t remember the name), they have the less tasty lager called Longboard, and a wheat ale with passionfruit Wailua. Now before you say it - I said it too before I tried it - it’s not a lambic or superfruity or even sweet at all. I’m in mid-imbibe right now and it’s got a nice passionfruit aroma too it without any actual sweetness to ruin the beeriness. If you’ve had Magic Hat No 9, it’s something like that. Not excellent (No 9 is excellent), but a refreshing change, and I’ll probably grab a few more of these to enjoy before they run out.

[quote=“teggs”]Sorry if this has already been posted but I though I’d share it anyway…

http://www.mybeer.com.tw/

The have a huge selection of imported stuff. I bought a case of Augustijn Blond (Belgian) for 1700… pretty good drinking![/quote]
Well this explains where Cafe Bastille off Shi Da gets those 70-100 Belgian Beers at a given time from… Thanks!

I strongly recommend the Straffe Hendrik (which apparently means Stiffy Henry in Flemish) and the Brugge Tripel, and will back up my recommendation with a purchase shortly!