Beer Alert & Directory IV

Had a Boston lager last night. Very drinkable. Got character. Nice clean, bitter hoppy brew. Me likee.

OK I tried the Wailua “Wheat Ale Brewed with Passion Fruit”. Much better than I expected. Not sweet at all. I couldn’t drink very many at one time but once in a while sitting outside or at the beach one or two would go down fine.

Shit if I knew you liked Singha, I woulda saved my piss for a day and filled you milk carton of Singha. Homebrewed!

sandman, the pic with the Chang could be me at my wedding two months ago (how else you think they got me to get married in the first place), Chang’s got mojo[/quote]
Sure but tell me where to get Chang in Taipei. Obviously you’re not a golfer.[/quote]
Very Thai has it, and it’s Very Expensive, which is Very Un-Dude. BTW Very Thai’s down near the In and Out burger.

Shit if I knew you liked Singha, I woulda saved my piss for a day and filled you milk carton of Singha. Homebrewed!

sandman, the pic with the Chang could be me at my wedding two months ago (how else you think they got me to get married in the first place), Chang’s got mojo[/quote]
Sure but tell me where to get Chang in Taipei. Obviously you’re not a golfer.[/quote]
Very Thai has it, and it’s Very Expensive, which is Very Un-Dude. BTW Very Thai’s down near the In and Out burger.[/quote]

:notworthy:

RT Mart off Civil and Fuxing sells six packs for like nt$142.

RT Mart off Civil and Fuxing sells six packs for like nt$142.[/quote]
Gracias! You my friend are a genius. Chang is a drunk man’s bread and butter in Thailand, especially a cold one on the beach. Singha’s weak taste can’t cut it against a malty beer like Chang, plus Chang in Thailand is 6.4%!

Must find Chang!

The Hunt is On!

RT-Mart Card at the READY!

Quick question for you beer nuts :

IS a New Zealand Steinlager at 5.99/six pack a better deal or a German Warfsteiner six pack at 6.99 at Trader Joes.

I like the Warfsteiner, havent tried the Steinlager. Is it any good?

Ok found a review of the Steinlager:

australianfood.about.com/od/alco 
 nlager.htm

and the warsteiner

rateitall.com/i-27842-warsteiner.aspx

If you don’t mind a hint+ of canned corn, the Warsteiner premium varum ain’t a bad beer.

Thing about German lagers is the quality of the brew, even in mass-produced lagers like Warsteiner (last I knew this was the #1 selling beer in Germany). For example, you can drink a shitload of Warsteiner and next morning boom - a very mild, perhaps even no, hangover. If you’re going to spend the 4th drinking beer, then a buck per for that insurance is a helluva value.

Watch the glass in the bottles here in the US. Be careful, it’s really cheap (thin) glass. They’ll do fine in a cooler, but if come the summer you, like me, throw a bottle into the freezer ten minutes or so before cracking it open, don’t forget to fish a Warsteiner out because the frozen lager will cause the bottle to come apart in many, many pieces. If you’re camping, don’t leave 'em lying around because it’s possible to break one lying on its side just by stepping on it.

The dunkel Warsteiner is absolutely the best beer I’ve ever added to chili, just does a terrific job managing flavors. A great cooking beer.

Clueless on the Steinlager.

Danke !! Wil grab a six next time im down there. Iv kinda forgotten the taste. They say its the Budweiser of Germany.

Yeah but Steinlager is the Fosters of NZ. Warsteiner anyday, and their dunkel is fantastic. They serve it draught at Schwarzwald off of An He.

Yeah but Steinlager is the Fosters of NZ. Warsteiner anyday, and their dunkel is fantastic. They serve it draught at Schwarzwald off of An He.[/quote]

They also serve it at Wendel’s if I’m not mistaken.

Yes, the “Bud of Germany” might be correct in terms of ubiquity. Only it doesn’t have such an extremely bad rep I guess. If you are interested in a really bad rep German beer you could try the Eichbaum at Costco though :sick: Unfortunately (?) it seems that in TW you don’t get Paderborner Pilsner or any of the even shittier brews, so Eichbaum is probably as low as you can go when buying German beer
 And no, Blue Girl is not German.

The dark Warsteiner I didn’t see often in Germany, but at Wendel’s Oktoberfest I found it way better drinkable in 1l (mass) servings than the light variety. But that’s just me, who prefers the south German (sweeter, more watery) beers over the northern (stronger, more bitter) varieties. Yes, a very simplified view, that is.

Your taste in beers seems fairly similar to mine, what do you think of the Gordon Biersch beers and the beers at Jolly? You got any other recommendations for “secret” places serving lesser-known beers?

Haha, sorry, I am nothing of a beer expert. I didn’t even like beer before moving to Bavaria at the age of
 uhm twentysomething
 and before I moved to Taiwan I was more into wine than beer as well :blush:

Jolly I am afraid I have never heard of. Gordon Biersch I don’t frequent much, but I really like the Maibock. The other beers are OK, but I didn’t have them often and don’t really remember much. I think the wheat beer / weissbier there was quite good, though. Reminds me of the Portland / Oregon area (micro)breweries - good memories. Although their names like “Volksweizen” sound pretty weird for ze Germans.

Secret places? Well, there closest to that would for sure be the “Prost” Bar in Danshui, featuring (apart from a nice view) some phenomenal Belgian beers like Kwak and Piraat. I guess the best beer for me in Taiwan is serverd at for example Oma Ursel or the Artist Village: König Ludwig Dunkel. Unfortunately my favorite beers, bavarian “Helles” like Augustiner Edelstoff or even the Gems like Andechser Spezial-Hell from the holy mountain (OK, make that a hill) don’t seem to be available in Taiwan. The light (color not carbs) beer at the Paulaner Biergarten near Guandu MRT comes close, and so does the HB / HofbrĂ€u Original served near Danshui in the Smoky Inn / Alpine Cottage. But rumor has that the latter very recently lost their beer contract, so that won’t be much of an option any more

But to be honest, I am pretty much OK with the TTL stuff: classic Taiwan brown bottle beer, and maybe once in a while a “draft”, “mine” and “strong dark”. So much for my outing :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll have to try Jolly, a fine brewpub. I know two locations: one is diagonally opposite Hooters, on the diagonal street behind the Nanjing E. Road MRT station; the other is in Neihu, on Minquan E. Road between Kangning Road Sec. 3 and the Minquan Tunnel.

St Pauli girl is my usual German beer of choice.

Funny, I had to Google that - Never seen that in Germany. Well, it’s only sold in the US - like Blue Nun wine I guess :smiley:

Funny, I had to Google that - Never seen that in Germany. Well, it’s only sold in the US - like Blue Nun wine I guess :smiley:[/quote]

Yes basically made by BECK’s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Pauli_Girl

and part of the huge beer group INBEV that also owns Budweiser, Lowenbrau (great beer) , Stella Artois, etc etc

Alexander Keith’s
Antarctica
Aqua Fratelli Vita
Astika Fine Quality Lager
Baisha
BagBier
Bass
Belle-Vue
Boddingtons
Bohemia
Boomerang
Bud Light (U.S.)
Bud Light (Canada)
Caracu
Castlemaine XXXX
Chernigivske
Diebels
Diekirch
Dimix
Dommelsch
Double Deer
Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Hell
Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel
Franziskaner Weissbier Kristallklar
Gilde Ratskeller
GuaranĂĄ Antarctica
GuaranĂĄ Brahma
Haake-Beck
Harbin
HasserÔder
Hertog Jan
Hoegaarden Citrons
Hougaerdse Das
Jinling
Jinlongquan
Julius
Jupiler
KK
Klinskoye
Kokanee
La BĂ©casse
Labatt Blue
Labatt Blue Light
Labatt Family
Labatt Ice
Labatt Sterling
Lakeport Pilsener
Liber
LöwenbrÀu
LöwenbrÀu Oktoberfestbier
LöwenbrÀu Original
Marathon
Michelob Lager
Mousel
Murphy’s
Oranjeboom
Paceña
Permskoye Gubernskoye
Piedboeuf
Phoenix
Quilmes Cristal
Red Shilliang
Rifey
Rogan
Safir
Santai
Sedrin
Sibirskaya Korona
Skol
Spaten Original Munich Beer
St. Pauli Girl
Sukita
Tolstiak
Vieux Temps
Yali
Yantar
Zizhulin
Zhujiang

All I got is piss-warm Chango.

That’s my brand!!!

hey Chris, how does Jolly compare to Pyramid Ale House? I think they are not allowed to brew in TAipei city so the brewery itself is elsewhere or something?