Beer Alert & Directory V - Roaring 20s edition

It’s the way they’re :tent:in’ with people, not just making everything more expensive but also substituting perfectly fine, simple and cheap basic food with stupid artificial alternatives that are even better for mass production. Then, when you ask for a bread that IS bread, they take you to the corner where you can find it and say “oh, you want the really good one!”, and show you a mediocre, super expensive piece of bread. Same with everything else. The cheapest, the most basic of the foods now has become a luxury item marketed at those who want a “healthy lifestyle”. FFS, I just want to eat those things that helped the poor to stay away from starvation since hundred of years ago!

And that’s why I made yogurt at home last night :smiley:

5 Likes

Epic rant.

I make my own yoghurt too. I’ve also got a load of brewing stuff stuck in the cupboard, so that’s my next project.

Tell me it’s not true!

Yeah, it’s true. Even the “upmarket” stuff is the same old shit in more expensive packaging.

It’s one of my favourite subjects for ranting.

I rarely eat bread, but occasionally I’ll bake a proper loaf. It’s dead easy, very cheap, and you can get a good result even using a basic Taiwan-style oven. If you don’t already, I suggest giving it a try.

I used to, thanks to a forumosan who lent me a bread making machine and then I also used my oven for some time, but haven’t done it in a while. It’s on my list. My problem is that the counter in the kitchen is SMALL. Also even flour is kinda pricey here…

1 Like

Well, that looks refreshing. Gotta love Taiwan, frozen liquor and cocktails available 24 hours a day at convenience stores.

4 Likes

Oy vey… does that have actual alcohol content or is it just taste?

1 Like

Doesn’t it say 3.5%? Or is that… Fruit juice content?

Alcohol!

1 Like

Saw two 7-11s in Taoyuan that have beer on tap right next to cashier.

Haven’t yet seen in Taipei area.

3 Likes

I dare anybody to start another thread complaining about Taiwan’s backwardness. Truly, this land is a beacon of civilisation which lesser nations should strive to emulate.

7 Likes

That was a thing a year or two ago, all over Taiwan - including penghu, and even Taipei. I remember posting a map here on the flob showing which 711 carried what brand…

Edit: ah here Beer Alert & Directory IV - #1254 by olm

Link not working any more, though.

1 Like

What’s a good local beer to try first? In Thailand I drank Singha and quite liked it, almost tattooed the logo on the accompanying belly…

1 Like

Singha? Well, gold medal Taiwan beer then.

For “good” beers of course it depends on your taste. Some people like TTL’s (national brewery) 28 days. Other prefer the smaller breweries like Buckskin (semi-large), taihu, red Point, Jim and dad’s, …

1 Like

Well that depends a lot on what sort of beer you are into. Generally speaking I like Taihu, 55th Street Craft Brewery and Redpoint.

I’ve never met an alcohol I didn’t like after a couple sips, but generally I go for easy drinking lagers when the weather is over 10C. If you don’t know Singha, Heineken is the international beer I have when the alternative is Bud (which I only drink when it is the only option).

Gold Medal was a quick recommendation, Taihu should be easy to remember. That’s good enough to start (I have a COVID test coming up and I can probably get the taxi driver to grab me some cold ones on the way back to prison)

Yes, then you will have a field day with the very cheap Taiwan Beer, which can be found everywhere.

1 Like

Yeah probably so but I guess I just missed it until recently

Nobody seems to have mentioned it, but Carrefour has a few cheap-ish abbey ales at the moment, ~NT$70-90. Got myself some St Bernardus and Westmalle.

2 Likes

Whoa, I really like this one. It’s very different. It’s an IPA from New Zealand infused with Earl Grey tea. Unlike some other IPAs with various fruits and spice infusions, this actually tastes strongly of Earl Grey while still tasting quite good as a beer. I’ll have another cuppa, thanks.

4 Likes