Beer Outrage! (Tsingtao TV Ad)

Not at beer itself but at T-something beer. I’m not sure what crack these folks are smoking, but their commercials are just not right. Last night I was watching TV when it came on. It has 3 pregnant girls in bikini tops with their big bellies showing all holding a beer advertising the beer. Now I have nothing against girls showing some skin, but having PREGNANT girls advertising beer is just wrong, hasn’t it been proven that it can harm the baby? Seriously, someone needs to be shot over that idiot mistake. Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong?

Dear Frost -
How do you think wifebeaterwearingbinlangchewingblueflipflopwearing wideopenkneedscooterridingbluetruckdrivingwhisbeedrinking Taiwanses are made?

FAS my good man…FAS.

Lovely beer…semi-lovely comercial.

yours in beverage,
TC :beer:

No man, you’re not the first. It was mentioned in the local ads thread too. That ad is fucked up, and if anyone tried that shit back home the company’d be belly-up in no time flat.

And it’s made even worse by the fact Tsingtao is a terrible beer.

Are the women in the ad just holding the beer, not drinking it?

Do they say anything in the ad? (For instance: “Tsingdao Beer would like to remind our patrons to carefully read all warning labels on our products, and to always remember drink responsibly. So it’s fine to hold a friend’s beer for them if they ask you too --like were doing. But remember not to take sip, or your new baby could end up being born with 4 heads. Cheers! :beer:”)

Pregnant? I thought they just had a bad case of pigeo dou! Doh!

The only warning I could spot was “Don’t drink and drive”. Either that or “Don’t drink if you are a minor”, I can’t remember which.

And sure, they’re not drinking it, but it’s the association of the two that’s pushing it.

What’s next? Children selling cigarettes? Oh wait, that already happens.

Actually, the commercial is trying to put across the idea “made in Taiwan” as in this beer came from Taiwan’s womb.

It is actually illegal to smoke while pregnant in Taiwan (or to sell cigarettes to a pregnant woman). I wonder if the same is true for drinking while pregnant?

Where did you get this info from?

Where did you get this info from?[/quote]
I remember seeing it in the TT/ChinaPost a while ago …
no-smoking.org/march05/03-15-05-3.html

[quote]According to a draft revision of the “Tobacco Hazards Act,” women will face a maximum fine of 10,000 Taiwan dollars (325 US) for smoking during pregnancy.

But the fines will be waived if pregnant smokers attend courses to help them quit the habit.

“More women are smoking now and we hope the law will help promote anti-smoking awareness,” Yu said, adding that the number of female smokers in Taiwan was estimated at 500,000 in 2004.

Under the Children’s Welfare Law retailers face fines of up to 50,000 dollars for selling cigarettes to pregnant women and laws expanding the penalties to pregnant women will soon be submitted to parliament for approval.
[/quote]

Where did you get this info from?[/quote]

Yes, I find that interesting as well. Would be curious to know more about that law. I assume it is legal for a pregant woman to live with a smoker, and expose her baby to carcinogens that way?

Why waste the beer if they’re already pregnant?

Well, funny you should mention the passive smoker thing. They just announced they were doubling the tax on ciggies, partly because of this:

Aren’t I the expert on smoking legislation eh? :laughing: Never touch the things myself …

I had considered making my joke caption something like: “Bearing in mind the many unintended consequences that may result from drinking too many beers, Tsingtao Beer reminds our customers to enjoy our beverages in moderation.”

Then I changed it, thinking that perhaps it was beyond the bounds of good taste. I kindof figured that sooner or later Richardm would find this thread, and the stigma of being the first to comment on the “Warning: Beer may cause pregnancy” angle would be eliminated. :smiley:

we went to a restaurant that’s a bit of a beer hall with some friends while the wife was preggers … she tried to order a beer for me as i was yapping, and the lady asked her who it was for, and mentioned that she shouldn’t be drinking.

i overheard it, and was duly impressed. :notworthy:

[quote=“xtrain_01”]we went to a restaurant that’s a bit of a beer hall with some friends while the wife was preggers … she tried to order a beer for me as I was yapping, and the lady asked her who it was for, and mentioned that she shouldn’t be drinking.

i overheard it, and was duly impressed. :notworthy:[/quote]

Well said. With all the bad news and stories about scams and so on I’ve been reading today, little things like this are nice to hear.

David: Thanks for the links. Interesting.

I spotted that too, but it doesn’t lessen the dumbass level of associating beer and pregnancy in a fashion other than the beer goggles effect.

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“xtrain_01”]we went to a restaurant that’s a bit of a beer hall with some friends while the wife was preggers … she tried to order a beer for me as I was yapping, and the lady asked her who it was for, and mentioned that she shouldn’t be drinking.

i overheard it, and was duly impressed. :notworthy:[/quote]

Well said. With all the bad news and stories about scams and so on I’ve been reading today, little things like this are nice to hear.

David: Thanks for the links. Interesting.[/quote]

I like it when waiters give me lifestyle tips.

When my wife was in the club we went to Starbucks in Banqiao and the cheeky cow working there was most unwilling to serve her a cup of coffee!

Coffee and tea consumption by pregnant women is unacceptable here! Isn’t that odd, when all manner of genuinely dangerous behaviours (kids without helmets etc) are quite the norm.

Also there’s nothing wrong with the odd beer when you’re pregnant. That’s the official line in the UK anyway. Obviously smoking is a complete no-no.

Ah, that’s because the child in the womb might be the proverbial “prodigal son”. When the kid’s out and they realize what a brat they’ve seeded, motorcycle helmets be damned. :laughing: