Begpackers around the world

lol. That’s advanced

2 Likes

Thailand has too much competition from begging smack addicts. But at least you can get legal weed there. I reckon Thailand will get flooded with weed tourists as soon as the pandemic dies away or people are done with it.

Now I’m curious.

Social experiment: Hang out Ximending as a foreigner beggar. Document The Experience interfacing with people that donate and random people on the street and the shop owners and the police and the midnight prostitutes and hordes of gay men running around.

Do gay men hit on foreigner beggars that’s a whole other social experiment.

Now I know I’m off on WildTangent but it’s raining and I’m bored

1 Like

Like a vice documentary.

This came out of left field … I really like the “hordes” image.

1 Like

I’m guessing because Ximending was mentioned. And yeah, the number of begpackers in that area was annoying and it’s likely the reason why this gay guy didn’t hang out there much.

2 Likes

Recently was in Ximending there was a dreadlocked woman sitting in the middle of the street with 2 young children, trying to pawn off some overpriced trinkets/begging. It was hot the children were young with heavy pedestrian traffic. Enlightened individual for sure.

Oh no! They’re back!

The begpackers annoy me no end. I thought covid had seen them off

1 Like

This dude is begpacking in Tainan Wusheng Night Market.
apparently stands around blocking the road for over an hour,
a lot of Taiwanese are annoyed by a westerner wanting them to fund his travel.
He even uses Simplified Chinese (China) on his signs.
( I think this person has been doing this for a few years in Taiwan, there are older pictures of him from 2020 as well.)

and Chaiyi… he must be making enough for the train I guess…

2 Likes

What an absolute bottom feeder.

5 Likes

I guess it’s a viable strategy?

Yea good luck using simplified Chinese… Taiwanese, especially down south is not going to like that.

3 Likes

Isn’t the monk essentially doing the same thing?

1 Like

Definitely good looking enough to get an older woman to look after him. Just avoid the orange juice.

Surely the old pics are getting reposted if he was doing it in 2020??

3 Likes

Yep… Same guy… Cant be a very good business model becuase he has only traveled from Taipei to Tainan in 3 years…

4 Likes

He might have lost face (Pun intended).

It’s an interesting argument. Is the monk doing it for his own pocket or the temple? The donation pocket that was handed around church when I was a kid was to support the church building , give to the poor (Although we ourselves we hardly rich) etc. And our preacher lived very humbly.
I think that’s different . As it is giving to charity.
I don’t think the monks keep that money but they donate to the temple they live at. That would make it a bit different.
Not sure though.
What do you think ?

1 Like

Got to support the poor starving kid. Donate your leftover stinky tofu or half a bag of betelnut

1 Like

Neither one makes a compelling enough argument to convince me to give them money. Talk to the :raised_hand:

The homeless crackheads at the bypass exit get a bit of money from me if I’m in the inner lane. Not much. Not enough for crack, I guess. :idunno:

1 Like

There are licensed monks that collect for the temples and charity’s, then you have the ConMonks who just dress up and pocket the money, the licence scheme was brought in to combat this and the police will check the licence (some still do it but getting less).

Then you have the talentless MonKeys who just stand around with signs and think the world owes them a living.

2 Likes