Beijing's first Bike Only Expressway

Except it’s not a road, but you’re right, have at it and get that KOM.

2 Likes

Not with the prospect of you and other bike path police out there tackling me from behind a bush while I pass by. No way.

I liked it simply because I appreciate anything that lightens mood in this thread. Serenity now, serenity now.

Glad to hear you’ll be safe out there! Have a good one friend, Godspeed.

2 Likes

I notice they call it an expressway so 15 km/h is a joke. On a road bike you freewheel faster than 15 km/h. Expressway is meaningful because it means you can’t stop on the way. By far the biggest problem on our bikeways here is idiots stopping to take selfies and not exiting the way.

People run faster than 15 km/h, how are they expecting people to abide by that?

Even the 25 km/h speed limit is ridiculous, and if they are enforced expect lots of complaints because you really don’t have any way of knowing how fast you’re biking… So to ticket someone for going one over is just plain capricious.

You aren’t coming across well here, sound suspiciously entitled .

2 Likes

This guy likes Taipei’s trails.
https://youtu.be/LV2JJ8aJ51w

Strava leadership boards for taipei bike paths?
Yeah I think I’m with @squall1 on this one.
Sorry @marasan still love your posts though!

2 Likes

Ideally they would actually be somewhere away from the motorways, so cyclists could breathe slightly less polluted air. :2cents:

No, no not me. I’m a crappy cyclist. Crappy on the mountains, crappy on the flats (maybe a little less crappy, though, when hills are not involved). Just pointing to how there are much better targets of bike path police ire than this not so young cyclist who rides about once a month now.

Long day yesterday. Not getting stuff done at work like I need to before the long weekend. Then I get on this board for a respite, and well, you saw above what happened.

The absolutely fabulous news? I got a pr on my 1,000m swim yesterday after work! So stoked as all the form changes and intervals came into place. Over 50 and still improving on my swims. I think all the frustration yesterday helped.

2 Likes

Good for you man.

1 Like

We already have that. It’s called the riverside parks. Which technically can be considered “express” if it’s not crowded like commuting in the morning, but not so much in the evening.

I used to commute from Song Shan to Danshui and with no wind variable factored in, morning commute is 50 minutes, but evening commute is always over an hour.

1 Like

i’m sure the govt already thinks this is a convenient commuting biking lane or something…

time?

I used to go on a swim forum and one thing I noticed was that nobody mentioned times. I’m not sure why that was. I came in at 16:49. Good for an amateur but not so good, I think, for a ex-competitive swimmer. This is without flip turns. A ex-competitive swimmer I work with thinks I can get it down to under 16 if I master flip turns. I do want to master flip turns but don’t know if I can get the time down like he imagines.

IMG_20190604_183426~2

IMG_20190604_183709~2

1 Like

pretty good
i always thought us amateurs at 2mins/100m is great, i.e. 3000m in an hour. at 50 years of age and sub-2mins per 100m, that’s very very good indeed

Thanks. I did many, many intervals to get that. 12x100m 1’42" @ 2’, for example. A slight rest between, and a pace at my goal pace (of 17 min for 1000m).

And this was in a 25m pool. I’m about a minute slower in a 50m pool.

with all the swimming I’ve done in community center or university pools during public open swim hours, anybody doing 3000m in an hour are like in the top 5% or less. I’m sure the others in your lane have taken notice

1 Like

What they need to be building are arterial / riverside shaded bike lanes, using simple natural materials like treated bamboo. Would cost a small proportion of the total road budget.

Get folks on the bikes, but out of the sun.