Beijing's Olympic Fakery

Original Title: Olympic fireworks faked for TV?

Mark Stone, Sky News reporter
Parts of the spectacular Beijing Olympics opening ceremony were faked, it has emerged.
Super-imposed footprint fireworks: Pictures BBC

[urlhttp://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Beijing-Olympics-Opening-Ceremony-Faked-Firework-Footprints-Added-For-TV/Article/200808215075291?lpos=World%2BNews_2&lid=ARTICLE_15075291_Beijing%2BOlympics%2BOpening%2BCeremony%2BFaked%253A%2BFirework%2BFootprints%2BAdded%2BFor%2BTV]Click here[/url].

What the three billion people watching at home saw (Pics: BBC)

The global television audience of more than three billion people watched in amazement as a series of giant footprints outlined in fireworks proceeded through the night sky from Tiananmen Square to the Bird’s Nest stadium - except they were watching a computer animation.

Even the giant television screens within the stadium itself broadcast the fake images.

Stunned viewers thought they were watching the string of fireworks filmed from above by a helicopter.

But in reality they were watching a 3D graphics sequence that took almost a year to produce.

It even included a ‘camera shake’ to mimic the effect of filming from a helicopter.

The dupe was revealed by China’s Beijing Times. Speaking to the paper, the man responsible for the animation said he was pleased with the result.

“Seeing how it worked out, it was still a bit too bright compared to the actual fireworks,” Gao Xiaolong told the newspaper.

“But most of the audience thought it was filmed live - so that was mission accomplished.”

The designers even added some haziness to simulate the polluted Beijing skyline.

Broadcasters around the world had no choice but to show the footage because it all came from one feed provided by Beijing Olympic Broadcasting - the organisation responsible for filming the games.

The ceremony has also been strongly criticised by architect Ai Weiwei, who helped design the Bird’s Nest stadium.

Writing on his blog, Mr Ai described the ceremony as “a recycling of the rubbish of fake classical culture tradition; a sacrilegious visual garbage dump and an insult to the spirit of liberty; low class sound play that’s just noise pollution”.

He was directly critical of China’s ruling communist party, characterising the ceremony as “a showcase of the reincarnation of the Marxist imperialism; the ultimate paragon of an all embracing culture of fascist totalitarianism; an encyclopaedia that encompasses total defeat in intellectual spirit.”

Mr Ai helped design the stadium alongside Swiss architect firm, Herzog and de Meuron.

But since then, he has become an outspoken blogger against the Olympics and the Chinese regime. Unusually, he has not been censored by the authorities.

Organiser said that the footprint fireworks were there for real, but thought it unsafe to try to film them - so they recreated them instead.

That’s the article. Anyway, I have seen this story from a few different news outlets, I must say that some of them seem to be struggling with what angle to put on this. Some say that the footprints actually happened, and that China only faked them digitally after deciding that to film them happening was too dangerous. I have only seen a few papers report it as though China faked the whole thing and there is suspicion they never really took place.
It makes me think about how important face is to Asians, and how maybe we don’t give it enough importance.
If this happened in a European country, we would all get angry at someone accusing them of fabricating a story for the news outlets.
But China, we’ll believe anything. Do you think China really faked a part of the opening ceremony that was broadcast on tv? I’m considering it. Oooh, that mysterious China!

Please edit your link using the following code:

[url=http://example.com/reallylongurl]Shorter Link[/url]

so it doesn’t stretch everyone’s screens. The result will look like this: Shorter Link. Thanks!

Boo hoo! They said we’d get fireworks on the screen but all we got was computer animations that we THOUGHT were fireworks!"

Big fucking deal!

Here’s some fireworks. Real ones, courtesy of Vlad.

Fake movies, fake clean air, fake fireworks …

At least they’re consistent. :smiley:

It’s China… what do you expect? and of course, they’re even PROUD of it.

“anyway, they’re really good fakes, sir. It’s the face that matters, not the substance.”

fake ‘freedom’

China set me free- they kicked me out.

[quote=“Taffy”]Please edit your link using the following code:

[url=http://example.com/reallylongurl]Shorter Link[/url]

so it doesn’t stretch everyone’s screens. The result will look like this: Shorter Link. Thanks![/quote]

I think you might have to put quotes around the address. Or actually… maybe not. I see that the original link is bad in other ways now.

Not necessary, my fine Oirish chum! The OP’s problem results from an unclosed opening square bracket, and a lack of text between the tags.

EDIT: Bah! Bit of crafty editing there, Iris. Right you are.

No, the quotes are needed for the “Quote” function when adding a username, but are not needed in the URL function.

Really?

HG

Yes there are very few white folks left in Shanghai these days and no new business visas until after the games. =-(

Its Ok though I have a shiny new job in HK which is of course closer to Forumosaland

The singing was faked too, having a more photogenic girl miming to another’s singing.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Yes there are very few white folks left in Shanghai these days and no new business visas until after the games. =-(

Its Ok though I have a shiny new job in HK which is of course closer to Forumosaland[/quote]

Yeah I remember when we met in Shanghai by chance at that yuppies bar that overloks the river… people could not believe I have a 5 year multiple residence. Us bastards from across the strait lol… Was so funny we met like that again hahahahaha

It’s funny bumming around Shanghai and meeting all those illegally employed immigrants from western countries :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oh! The hilarity!

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]The singing was faked too, having a more photogenic girl miming to another’s singing.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm[/quote]

What a bunch of copycats! The Germans already did that in 1988 with Rob & Fab. Using more photogenic people to lip sync is so 20 years ago!

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]The singing was faked too, having a more photogenic girl miming to another’s singing.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm[/quote]

What a bunch of copycats! The Germans already did that in 1988 with Rob & Fab. Using more photogenic people to lip sync is so 20 years ago![/quote]

But that was for a Grammy. But “The audience will understand that it’s in the national interest (read: WE DID IT FOR FACE),” Chen said in a video of the interview posted online Sunday night. :laughing:

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable and convincing argument to me.

PS: Boney M was doing it wayyyyyyyy earlier than Milli Vanilli, also thanks to German ingenuity.

But…but…but it’s a kid, for crying out loud! This is not Miss Universe! It’s a kid!

guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/au … 008.china1

I guess leave it up to a Movie director and this is what you get. The quest for perfection leaving behind ethics.

Was this right? Was it wrong? What do you think?

In the world of movies , its all an illusion anyway. Movies are dubbed in many languages. John Wayne never spoke Japanese in any of his movies for example.

I think the girl whos voice was used was cute enough. So what she has crooked teeth, shes 7 for petes sake.

Fake fireworks, now a faked key singer ( I guess they never figured out that the little girl will catch that much attention) and yellow shirted cheerleaders to fill in as audiences when there are few real spectators?

Actually this last one isnt bad I think. They cheer both sides in a game at least.