Beijing's Olympic Fakery

[quote=“Icon”]Taking my own country as a base for this, I wonder how many relatives in the CCP Politburo the “prettier” girl has.[/quote] That would make a good article…Can you find out?

Of course the biggest fake – and the one that should be the least surprise – is the environment for improved human rights in China supposedly brought by the Olympics. I think this story sums it up quite well:

[quote]Like scores of other aggrieved citizens in China’s capital, Zhang Wei was stunned last month to learn that the Chinese government would allow demonstrators to air their complaints during the Olympics at specially designated protest zones around the city. All they had to do was fill out a form at their local police station.

In an authoritarian country that bans almost all forms of public protest, the newfound openness seemed too good to be true. And it was.

Ms. Zhang, a Beijing resident who has been seeking redress for what she claims was the illegal demolition of her house, applied for a protest permit in early August and began planning her public demonstration. On Aug. 6, police officers came to her home — not to deliver the requisite license but to take her into custody. She is now serving a monthlong sentence for “disturbing social order,” according to her family…[/quote]

From Specter of Arrest Deters Demonstrators in China, New York Times, August 13, 2008

The article has other such stories.

Just in case anyone had forgotten what happened after the call a few decades ago to “let a hundred flowers bloom.”

Don’t get me wrong, that’s bloody awful, but it’s sort of funny too.

You’re right to protest is assured, just get the requisite form filled. However, filling the form is disturbing the peace and we may slap you in gaol for a month. You can sill have a demo, though, you just need that form stamped. Sign here.

It smells of a classical Russian education.

HG

Dancer paralyzed during Olympic practice

[quote]BEIJING — After downplaying the incident, Beijing’s Olympic organizers acknowledged Thursday that a dancer was paralyzed after a platform collapsed during rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony.

Liu Yan, 26, fell July 27 as she was rehearsing a sequence called “Silk Road,” in which she was supposed to dance on a painting with swirling scarves around her. The sequence was supposed to last two minutes; Liu is now expected to be paralyzed from the waist down for life.[/quote]

Yea, that’s a sad story, nama. Poor girl. Apparently she was a really great dancer and is now paralyzed from the waist down and suffering from immense shock and grief over her fate. But that’s only somewhat “fake”. More of a cover-up. But here’s a good fake:

[quote]‘Ethnic minority’ children at Olympics ceremony were fake
AFP - August 15, 2008, 7:52 pm

Children from China’s dominant Han population represented Tibetan and other ethnic groups in a key part of the Olympics opening ceremony, an official said in comments published Friday. . .

Fifty-six children carried out the Chinese flag in a moment meant to showcase national harmony during Friday’s ceremony at the Bird’s Nest stadium. Organisers had claimed one was from each official ethnic group in China.

But they were in actual fact all from the Han group, which makes up more than 90 percent of China’s population. . .[/quote]
link

Come on folks… it’s “Made In China”! :stuck_out_tongue:

The Technology Institiue in Shanghai (conveniently across the canal from my house) also houses under it one of the largest fake markets in China.

Ironic, N’est pas?

What can you expect from a country that painted grass green, planted fake flowers and trees each and every time the IOC visited Beijing.