Belles, whistles, and eyes in the corner

Nope. Don’t like it. Irritating, distracting, cheesy. Now I’ve noticed it I keep seeing it and it bugs the hell out of me. Yuk!

I’m talking about the ‘turning page’ thingy in the top RHS with the ad for online dating behind it.

Is anyone else having trouble with that “dogear” link to Forumosa Friends? I’m finding it VERY irritating indeed. It seems to seize everything up in that corner of the page – specifically “view new posts” – plus, you have to wait until the whole thing has loaded and you often have to mouse over it and open the damn thing before it will let you begin typing.
What a pain in the arse.

Yes, I actually liked the eye until I saw it was for forumosa friends, which I hate. I hate those horrible pictures! What kind of photographer would take such bad pictures? But that’s just personal preference…it does interfere with my typing sometimes, too. Then, like you said, I just quickly open the eyeflap and the typing can continue.

Right. I don’t give a rat’s ass about the photos or whatever, but I really fucking object to HAVING to look at the crappy ad before I can get on what what I want to do. It’s very offensive indeed, IMO.
If I want to look at your shitty ad, I’ll do so, but kindly take your goddamn foot out of my door before I break your goddamn nose.

Actually, I find it slightly arousing, since I type in the buff and now have some lady peering down at my member, flopped over the keys.

What’s up with the picture of the two chickies? Are they language exchange partners? :howyoudoin:

That’s no lady peering down at your member. That’s the dude from Clockwork Orange. And what’s your member doing all the way up there…?

Aaaaaiiii!!!

All the way over there? I’ve got my laptop resting on my ankles so my member doesn’t chafe too badly on the display screen.

[quote=“sandman”]Is anyone else having trouble with that “dogear” link to Forumosa Friends? I’m finding it VERY irritating indeed. It seems to seize everything up in that corner of the page – specifically “view new posts” – plus, you have to wait until the whole thing has loaded and you often have to mouse over it and open the damn thing before it will let you begin typing
What a pain in the arse.[/quote]

[quote=“twonavels”]Yes, I actually liked the eye until I saw it was for forumosa friends, which I hate. I hate those horrible pictures! What kind of photographer would take such bad pictures? But that’s just personal preference…it does interfere with my typing sometimes, too. Then, like you said, I just quickly open the eyeflap and the typing can continue.[/quote].

[quote=“Loretta”]Nope. Don’t like it. Irritating, distracting, cheesy. Now I’ve noticed it I keep seeing it and it bugs the hell out of me. Yuk!

I’m talking about the ‘turning page’ thingy in the top RHS with the ad for online dating behind it.[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback - keep it comin’ :slight_smile:

Will look into the technical glitches you are having

What a pain! I’m using Firefox without the plugin I need to view that corner bit. So all I get is a big blank tab that covers up some of the the useful links in the corner; a bar at the top of every page saying “additional plugins are needed…”; and a huge kind of popup that obscures nearly the whole screen for a moment every time I open a new page.

Sorry, Goose Egg, but minus ten points for usability there. You must have been taking a leaf out of the Taiwanese “Flash for everything and unusability for anyone with a basic browser” school of web design.

You said you’ll “have a look into the technical glitches”… well, how about disabling this “feature” until you can figure out how do whatever advertising you need to do and still keep the site pleasant to use? What was wrong with the advert down at the bottom, anyway? Isn’t it counterproductive to have ads that annoy people?

Screenshots here:

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. So, if you did install the plugin, then this problem would go away? I’m not suggesting that you do it, just clarifying that there is solution on your end should you choose to take it

I did see the blank square problem in one of my Firefox browsers, so I know what you are talking about. I’ve already sent a note for advice from the authors of the corner and am hopeful they will come back with a solution

Another fix would be to add some code that recognizes browsers that do not have Flash plugged in, and then deliver a different corner. Will look into this solution as well

[quote=“joesax”]Sorry, Goose Egg, but minus ten points for usability there. You must have been taking a leaf out of the Taiwanese “Flash for everything and unusability for anyone with a basic browser” school of web design.

You said you’ll “have a look into the technical glitches”… well, how about disabling this “feature” until you can figure out how do whatever advertising you need to do and still keep the site useful? What was wrong with the advert down at the bottom, anyway? Isn’t it counterproductive to have ads that annoy people?[/quote]
You’re right - I have always been a big fan of Flash :wink: Then, again, more and more the capability is built into browsers these days. So I’m less concerned about the problem than in the past

Incidentally, “Is it counterproductive to have ads that annoy people?” - not from my experience, but the objective of the corner is not to annoy people. It is to make Forumosa Friends more accessible. I’m guessing you don’t spend an awful lot of time seeing that corner to begin with.

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. So, if you did install the plugin, then this problem would go away? I’m not suggesting that you do it, just clarifying that there is solution on your end should you choose to take it[/quote]Yes, if I installed Flash manually, the new ad would no doubt go down to the medium levels of annoyance that everyone else is experiencing.

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“joesax”]Sorry, Goose Egg, but minus ten points for usability there. You must have been taking a leaf out of the Taiwanese “Flash for everything and unusability for anyone with a basic browser” school of web design.

You said you’ll “have a look into the technical glitches”… well, how about disabling this “feature” until you can figure out how do whatever advertising you need to do and still keep the site useful? What was wrong with the advert down at the bottom, anyway? Isn’t it counterproductive to have ads that annoy people?[/quote]
You’re right - I have always been a big fan of Flash :wink: Then, again, more and more the capability is built into browsers these days. So I’m less concerned about the problem than in the past[/quote]More and more people these days are concerned with things degrading gracefully. Anyway, this is a fresh install of the latest version of Firefox.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Incidentally, “Is it counterproductive to have ads that annoy people?” - not from my experience, but the objective of the corner is not to annoy people. It is to make Forumosa Friends more accessible. I’m guessing you don’t spend an awful lot of time seeing that corner to begin with.[/quote]I always used to notice the Forumosa Friends ad whenever I scrolled down past a post, which was fairly often. Surely if the concern were accessibility only, you’d include a text link at the top?

And as regards a graphical ad with photos, the sidebar was where it used to be and at least it was a bit less annoying there.

As for annoying people in order to get them to buy stuff, I seem to remember reading about research that showed it didn’t work. But I might be wrong.

[quote=“joesax”]Surely if the concern were accessibility only, you’d include a text link at the top?

And as regards a graphical ad with photos, the sidebar was where it used to be and at least it was a bit less annoying there.[/quote]
You are right, accessibility is not the ONLY concern - a simple text link (as we had in the past) doesn’t stand out. My point was that using this type of ad was not meant to annoy (although it clearly does annoy some people), but to make the Forumosa Friends service more accessible. In a way, it makes the service more accessible because it reminds people that it is there, the way that other instances of Forumosa Friends also further remind people

Which sidebar were you referring to - the one in the viewforum pages?

Panic over. I installed the
[color=#FF0000]Adblock Plus[/color]
plugin for Firefox and it did its usual sterling work. No boxes, no distracting wobbling eyes (I did get Flash and try it out for a little while before I remembered
). Just nice usable Forumosa back again.

Just so you remember, folks, that was
. Available at your local Firefox Add-Ons.
:wink:

Yes, I meant the sidebar on the main forum index page, though I realise that doesn’t get as many views.

Don’t like it. Its just another geegaw that slows down page loading and in this case is providing an irritating distraction. It just adds to all of the crap that has to load.
Keep the pages clean and fast.

my $NT.02.

Sorry I’m a bit late in posting – I’ve been busy painting an icon of Joesax in the Russian Orthodox style and then of course I had to do the accompanying rituals to deify it.
Thanks Joesax! That’s a great add-on. No silly eye, no silly shiny happy date-sated office drones staring out at me. My life is complete.

I think it’s brilliant.

Before I’d go to Forumosa, read some basically batshit arguments about stuff I don’t care about. Now my trip to forumosa has drama. I open the page and see a goddamn eye looking at me. Holy shit! Is it a high tech ghost out of some Japanese horror movie? Am I going mad? I mouseover and the page peels to reveal the ad. Best use of flash ever!

I remember some demo on the Atari ST that did a page flip. This ad is like that combined with The Ring. I honestly think it’s the best content on this site at the moment. If people complain about it, ban them. I’d still come here even with no posters so long as you keep The Eye. It’s like ceiling cat.

No probs, Sandy. There’s also something called RIP (Remove It Permanently), but that’s a bit drastic I think.

[quote=“sandman”]Sorry I’m a bit late in posting – I’ve been busy painting an icon of Joesax in the Russian Orthodox style and then of course I had to do the accompanying rituals to deify it.[/quote]Hope you weren’t stingy with the gold leaf.

When I mouseover, it goes away completely. Perfect!