Best FREE Software

There was a time when free software was crap. I am constantly amazed by not only the range of free stuff available now, but just how kick-ass it is.

Here’s a list of some of the stuff I think is fantastic, feel free to add:

Firefox
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Google Earth
Picasa
Limewire
Free codecs
iTunes
Excellent thread, Truant!

I use this for snappy screen shots:

MWSnap

Your list confuses free software in the sense of free beer and free software in the sense of software that advances our freedom. See gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

I’d add

Apache
Emacs
Postgresql

to your list.

[quote=“Truant”]There was a time when free software was crap. I am constantly amazed by not only the range of free stuff available now, but just how kick-ass it is.

Here’s a list of some of the stuff I think is fantastic, feel free to add:

Firefox
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Google Earth
Picasa
Limewire
Free codecs
iTunes
Skype[/quote]

This thread is not for cyber-philosophers and software rights activists. It’s for people who like freebies.

I thought it was obvious :unamused:

I thought it was clear we weren’t talking about free(dom) software, because the list has iTunes and Skype on it.

Free(beer) software I use every day:
Thunderbird

Opera (www.opera.com)

My web browser of choice and available on all major software platforms.

Blender - 3d modeling
Inkscape - Vector drawing
XAMPP - Personal test web Environment
CDeX - CD Ripper
Azeurus - BitTorrent Client
GIMP - Photo editor
GAIM - Multi-Protocol IM Client

yeah, uh, i’m a nerd

Photoshop…uh was I supposed to pay for that :wink: haha…the company already did…so in a sense its free to me.

Chou

Bittorrent
Winamp (echos)… it really whips the lawyer’s ass!

azureus
opera
mp3gain
spybot

Ethereal - a network sniffer
ttcp - a simple throughput tester.

Here are a few good links to some of the best free software on the web :

Priceless free software :
pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm

The 46 best ever freeware utilities :
techsupportalert.com/best_46 … lities.htm

Nowadays, if you’re a home user, there’s really no reason for you to buy software …

phpBB - obviously :wink:
Textpad (full functional free demo)
phpAdsNew - hard to believe, but it is completely free
WordPress

MediaWiki

Whaoo, Goose Egg. Those are some really great tools I really wasn’t aware of. Damn, those are useful.
So, that’s how you run forumosa, eh? :sunglasses:

Did you ever post anything more specific about the design of this forumosa website and how you run things? :slight_smile:

[quote=“fiLi”]Whaoo, Goose Egg. Those are some really great tools I really wasn’t aware of. Damn, those are useful.
So, that’s how you run forumosa, eh? :sunglasses:

Did you ever post anything more specific about the design of this forumosa website and how you run things? :slight_smile:[/quote]
I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic :blush: but in case you are serious, you may be interested to know that share experience on building a forum site[/b]". I only asked that if you used them to create your own Taiwan-based website, please let me know so we can link to it)

My posts with links to the pre-modded versions of this website are here:
[Share experience on building a forum site
[Share experience on building a forum site

Unfortunately, these pre-modded files are no longer available.
You wouldn’t want them anyway - phpBB has changed so much these days
(and is so much more secure)
If you do take on the challenge, this link should help: phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26108

No biggie - after all, I learned long ago that the software is not what makes Forumosa what it is :sunglasses:

• OpenOffice.org (complete office suit)
  • K Desktop Environment - including
    - Kaffeine (media player)
    - Kopete (IM Client)
    - Kmail (Email Client)
    - KOrganizer (Personal Information Managment)
    - KDevelop + gcc (Integrated Development Environment)
    and many more
  • Gimp
  • XBMC (Media Center for your XBox)

This is just a short list, more or less a snapshot of the software that I use almost daily, and is essential to my work and private time.

No particular order, here are a few worth checking out. All are freeware:

1. Rastorbator [makes giant posters of any photo] - homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

2. Mazaika [make large image out of many small images] - mazaika.tripod.com/

3. First Page [free, feature full html editor] - evrsoft.com/ (new/free version 2006 just came out).

4. Evernote [Cool Microsoft OneNote type app - like an organizer/diary/clipcollector] - evernote.com/en/

5. Microsoft Virtual CD [Turns HDD into CD] - softwarepatch.com/windows/xpvirtualcd.html

6. VLC [opensource/popular video player, plays almost all files] - videolan.org

7. Virtual Machine [run a pc inside a pc or linux in a win] - vmware.com/

8. Ubuntu Linux [linux for humans - haven’t used yet, so can only make a link] - ubuntulinux.org/

9. Virtual Network Computing [remote support software] - damagedintransit.com/2006/01/27/ … vnc-setup/ )

10. Steganography software [hide a message or photo in a photo] - wiretapped.net/indexes/steganography.html

11. Anti-virus: avast.com/eng/programs.html

12. CSS editor: bradsoft.com/topstyle/index.asp

there’s also

ClamWin (Open Source Virus Scanner)
Shareaza (open source p2p client, gnutella, e-donkey)
utorrent (freeware bittorent client, no installation needed, nice gui, only 100kb)

delete for now

I tried Ubuntu at both home and work on similar pcs but with different networking.

It worked very well.

Only trouble. I couldn’t figure out how to listen to streaming radio on the liveCD Version.

But otherwise it worked very well. first time I ever had a linux install without problems.

I’m considering switching…

Kenneth