Best Mexican Restaurant in Taiwan

It has to be “Pasadena” in Taitung. WOW!

Come on man! Give us more. What did you eat? What was on the menu? I’m guessing you were just passing through, but if you could include an address, that would be great as well.
The more non-Taipei restaurants featured here the better, but give us a bit more detail, please.

Sandy try this:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … t=pasadena
It is a great place!

Taidong is a bit out of my way… I was told that TAIPEI has no real good Mexican … only bad ones… (probably a matter of getting the right ingredients…) … oh yeah, and leave out the sugar…
I love Mexican food though…

La Cosina (sp?) just off Hsin Hseng has outstanding Mexican food.

La Casita

La Casita[/quote]

Yes … that was it. :blush:

Ta!

Still, whatever way you spell it or say it, the food is great. Strange little place though.

Pasadena, 74 Sz-Wei Rd, Sec 3, Taitung, 089235928… yummy!

Will try La Casita and report back…

La Casita[/quote]

Address or hints on how to get there?

Here’s a hint: Use the effin’ SEARCH function.

La Casita[/quote]

Address or hints on how to get there?[/quote]

Songjiang Rd, Lane 64, No. 7, 1F (near the Chang An E. Rd intersection)
Tel: 2531-9246

Thanks Tigerman.

Have you tried the e’fing search button? I learned 3 things about this restaurant:

1. It has mixed reviews (big, boring but still ok food)
  2. It moved around allot.
  3. No one put its address on the first page of 10 different threads on Mexican food.

Mexico-To-Go in Tainan is my greatest Mexican fix. Beef or Chicken is your choice for: nachos, tacos, burritos, quesedillas, and salads. They have soft drinks and Corona beer as well, but if you buy a drink from the tea place next door you can sit there if you want (they have some kind of agreement). Seats at most 6 people inside and 2 or maybe 3 outside–hence the name “to go”.

The owner is from Alabama and his partner is a local. He learned to make Mexican food there and even makes special salsa to put on whatever you want. He told me that it’s a sort-of secret recipe that he was not directly told, but learned by watching people make it in Alabama. It’s excellent.

He’s now in Nan-Tou (I guess) doing new business (paintball, I also guess) and since he’s been away with only his partner at the helm, the food has not degraded or become sweet in any way. I commend her highly for this. She can speak English with no problem and it is a great haunt for foreigners.

A “combo” is 2 tacos, 1 burrito, refried beans in a large muffin-wrapper, corn chips and drink of choice. $200. All of these things are available separately. The great thing is that no matter what you order, you’ll get a packet of the awesome salsa!

Finding it:
If you come out of the Tainan station (front exit), you’ll see a circle to your right (in front of the station) and right in front of you will be a barrage of taxi drivers. Take a left and walk underground. Go straight and then cross Chung-Shan Rd. Pass the bus stops and Sushi Express and then turn left onto Cheng-Kung Rd., passing the front of: Tainan Hotel, ChungHwa Telecom, HiLife and Mos Burger. Keep going to McDonald’s at Gong Yuan Rd. Keep going straight until you see a small road called Chung-Cheng Rd. (That’s “middle” and then “Cheng”, just like Cheng-Kung Rd.) which is within view of the next major road called Chung-Yi Rd. Look to your left and you’ll see a green, white, and red awning. That’s it! This trip might take you roughly 9 minutes, depending on how fast you walk, traffic, etc.

Open noon to 10pm, Monday to Saturday. When they say noon, they mean it–11:30am doesn’t count; they’ll tell you to come back at noon.

MexicoToGo:
Fax: 062228007
email: mexicotogo@mac.com

Any one in Taichung?

Just went again to “Pasadena” in Taitung. Wow, great burritos, and great taco’s, and great enchilladas… Went back for lunch again next day.

[quote=“wisher”]Any one in Taichung?[/quote]I just saw this post. “Red and Green” is quite good. Details here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 238#454238

And the worst imitation of Mexican food is hands down Amigo. There’s one off of Zhonghsiao E. Rd. I got roped into going there because a Taiwanese co-worker swore by it. I think the enchilada sauce included condensed milk, red food coloring, paprika, and/or sugar. :sick: Oh, and you get French fries with ranch powder on them with your food. Their tortilla soup would be good if you could taste it through all the effin’ hot pepper sauce that kills your tastebuds.

I saw they have a second installation on Ren’ai and Linsen Rds. Just further proof that there’s no acounting for tastes.

I highly recommend La Casita. It’s got fantastic food with generous portions and their little girl is getting better at speaking English from serving people in between doing her homework.

Hey. What about that place on Xin Shen Nan Rd? Was it called Tequila Sunrise? Is that still there? That place wasn’t bad. It was kind-of a goofy setup where you go upstairs when you go in, and then maybe downstairs again if you want to sit in the back. They had a pretty good menu and nothing I ordered was sweet.

I think the last time I ate there was 2 years ago. It was on Xin Sheng Nan, north of Roosevelt and just south of where that freeway thing goes over Xin Sheng Nan. It was on the west side of the road.

[quote=“coolingtower”]Hey. What about that place on Xinsheng Nan Rd? Was it called Tequila Sunrise? Is that still there? That place wasn’t bad. It was kind-of a goofy setup where you go upstairs when you go in, and then maybe downstairs again if you want to sit in the back. They had a pretty good menu and nothing I ordered was sweet.

I think the last time I ate there was 2 years ago. It was on Xinsheng Nan, north of Roosevelt and just south of where that freeway thing goes over Xinsheng Nan. It was on the west side of the road.[/quote]
Tequila Sunrise. I rate it as a bit lower than a shithole. Others’ mileage may vary. I worked in a Mexican restaurant for a couple of years and what that place serves just doesn’t even come close. Its often busy, though – its customers are mostly kiddies from Taida who don’t know any better.

Bottom line is that as long La Casita’s up and running, there’s really no reason to go anywhere else.

Ignore that man behind the curtain! This is an old issue that I have gotten into before with others on-line. I have been going to Tequila Sunrise for years, though infrequently because it is out of the way for me. The food, to me, is good, though certainly not authentic. I tend to stick to the same things on the menus of places I frequent and the things I like at Tequilla Sunrise have always pleased me. I have eaten authentic Mexican and I am very particular about food preparation.

Tequila Sunrise exhibited at the Gourmet Food show at Taipei 101 last year and I bought some of their samples and enjoyed them. Were they oustanding examples of culinary perfection? No, but good, enjoyable, fresh food and a far cry from what you would get from, say, Taco Bell. They opened a second outlet in Tienmu last year (#88 TienMu E. Rd.) which proves they are doing something right or they wouldn’t be successful. Using the vulgarity s***hole in reference to Tequila Sunrise is obviously biased hyperbole.

As far as La Casita, do a search and you will find my negatative comments and others who have issues with their food, service and atmosphere. Some quite recent.