• South, Kenting?
  • Central Taiwan?
  • North Taiwan?
  • Eastcoast?
  • Near the beach, seaside?
  • Taidong?
  • Mountains, riverside?

0 voters

If I would stay in Taiwan, circumstances allowing, than I’m playing with the idea of opening and running a B&B …

Is that a crazy thought?

I know I posted already many times that I was planning on doing something but they all got shot down due to circumstances …

It’s about time that I start doing something again, B&B, eatery, bakery, restaurant, pub … eventually as manager not as owner.

But for now let’s stick to the B&B idea, I would like it to be something special … western breakfast, eventually supper served (western) … and the whole place decorated in Mediterranean or Adobe style … or exotic decors a little more higher priced …

What do you think, would it be feasible in Taiwan?

Catering to who(whom)?

Taiwanese appear to have a distinct aversion to vacationing on the island. And is the ‘foreigner’ market large enough to support such an endeavor?

That said it sounds like a grand idea. Location within a 3 hour drive of a large population center. Offer of a shuttle from the nearest HSR or train depot.

What will your guests do once there?
Again…who would be your target clientel?

How about opening a Belgian restaurant? :smiley:

Green Island or Orchid Island?

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]If I would stay in Taiwan, circumstances allowing, than I’m playing with the idea of opening and running a B&B …

Is that a crazy thought?

I know I posted already many times that I was planning on doing something but they all got shot down due to circumstances …

It’s about time that I start doing something again, B&B, eatery, bakery, restaurant, pub … eventually as manager not as owner.

But for now let’s stick to the B&B idea, I would like it to be something special … western breakfast, eventually supper served (western) … and the whole place decorated in Mediterranean or Adobe style … or exotic decors a little more higher priced …

What do you think, would it be feasible in Taiwan?[/quote]
Send a PM to Chung. He has tons of info on this kind of thing and seems to keep a finger on the pulse. He has posted many times about some really nice places here very similar to what you envisage in terms of exotic architecture and decor and correspondingly higher prices.
But I agree that you need another draw, such as scenery, walks, activities, etc. The shuttle service is also essential.

And don’t forget Bobl. He had one.

If you open something distinctive and in an attractive location, with good sightseeing and walks nearby, I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to make a go of it. It’s an idea I’ve toyed with for years, and it looks like a pretty good proposition if you select the right location.

I’d probably go for somewhere in Ilan, since it’s so easily accessible from Taipei now, has plenty to offer all kinds of visitors, and tourism is taking off there in a big way. I’d want it to be close to a good stream where I could swim and river trace. Then I’d offer river-tracing trips in the summer as one of the attractions. I’d also want it to be in as undeveloped and tranquil a setting as possible.

Taiwanese seem willing to pay almost as much for decent B&B accommodation as for rooms in upmarket hotels, and the good B&B places that I’ve stayed in or checked out apparently get plenty of customers on weekends and during holidays.

If you had some kind of special selling point - such as being the only Belgian-run place in Taiwan, and offering top-notch Belgian cuisine - I’m sure you’d be able to get a few good write-ups in the local media and attract plenty of people looking to try something different. And if you could give them a good enough experience, I’m sure they’d spread the word and return themselves.

My friends just stayed in one in Pinxi, and though the restaurant/cafe area was beautiful and clean, the bedrooms were less than desirable -really dirty, with exposed garbage on premises. While the owner claimed that for that price (1500 nts) you should not expect the Regent Formosa, the dirtyiness of the place turns off both furriners and locals. Now, a place with a bit more love and care would definetively get packed, as the area ahs lots of atractive places to visit.

Pinxi and other turistic areas on the railroad routes have a constants flow of visitors, and on special celebratiosn they are truly amazing in terms of how many people they can fit in a small place. A joint agreement with the turism board for getting discounts to govt. employees or seniors would guarantee a flow of traffic during the off-seasons. Hiking tours, byke tours etc. are being organized to promote exercise, you may even get a Giant Tour sponsorship for a tie-in.

Back home, there is this guy who has a small chocolate plantation. People stay in what used to be the workers barracks back at the beggining of last century, make their own chocolate by hand, or sample different hand-made treats (chocolate covered pinnapple bits). So, for your case I am thinking a cooking lesson weekend, in a big kitchen, as a catch. Then you serve them the real stuff.

If I were to open a bed and breakfast. I’d go for a place within 30 minutes of Taipei where the clientele is slightly more sophisticated. I’d target a farm house and do it up to the nines. It would be a mixture of modern Western and traditional Chinese chic. I would have wooden combustion stoves for heat in the winter time and as part of the attraction. I would have it fully catered, outside decking, massage and spa therapy, and close to some easy walking trails. I would have a Western menu only with romantic food and champagne. I would try to cater to the romantic weekend crowd and rich women.

I wish someone would open an English country pub in a nice setting here. There are lots of teahouse/restaurant places here in really beautiful places, but I get bored of the whole teahouse thing.

BP, if you wanted to do that, I’m sure you’d find no shortage of Englishmen here willing to give advice on decor, menu, etc. for the price of a few pints!

Having tried that route a few years ago, I would say it would be tough to do in Taidong.
I spent a lot of time and effort, and $, to remodel our place and the customers totally thrashed it.

They bring in their little cooksets and BBQ right in the room. Hot pots aren’t too bad, but the fuckers with the woks stir frying and getting that hot oil all over the new ceiling tiles and wallpaper was a bit much. And the smell. Almost impossible to get it out.

We now run as a hostel, mid scale. Business is very seasonal and up and down.

Most Taiwanese could care less for western food, and would rather walk across the street to 7-11 and get some dry noodles.

With the economy going to shit, everybody and their brothers are putting up min shu signs.
Competion is fierce, and customers are really tight with thier money now.

Western style things have not caught on down this way.
I don’t know if you could bring enough furriners down this way to make it worth your while.
My experience said no.
However, time may bring changes to the market, so in the future it may be better.
Hard to say.

Hey bobl, the link to your hostel doesn’t seem to be working.
I’m interested in looking at it.

[quote=“bobl”]
However, time may bring changes to the market, so in the future it may be better.
Hard to say.[/quote]

When you will have loads of mainland Chinese tourists around the place. Regarding B&B and the like, that is where a market might be

But this clientèle may not be too sophisticated, so maybe create a wide open space where they can BBQ and hot pot themselves to their delight, and then just make sure you have a basic concrete room with a blanket on the ground as sleeping quarters.

If Taiwanese and Chinese want more sophistication they go other countries. It seems there is little potential here for a tourist industry beyond what is wanted here. An increase in numbers, but not a change in preference or expectations

I’m not seeing what you guys are seeing. There are some really nice places under the title of “minsu”. Places where cooking in the rooms definitely wouldn’t go down well.

Even in Taidong.

Check out the photos on these sites:
minsu.com.tw/
taiwanminsu.com.tw/
minsu.taiwanking.com/
tw.myblog.yahoo.com/taiwanminsu/
bb-taiwan.com/
twhotel.com.tw/

People are willing to spend a bit, too. A lot of these places cost 2000 or more a night.

That third link. Should somebody tell them? NAAAAAH! :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]That third link. Should somebody tell them? NAAAAAH! :laughing:[/quote] :laughing: Didn’t notice that.

A whole new meaning to “activity holiday.”

:astonished: Maybe it’s run by katooeys!

I’m interested in going there

[quote=“joesax”]I’m not seeing what you guys are seeing. There are some really nice places under the title of “minsu”. Places where cooking in the rooms definitely wouldn’t go down well.

Even in Taidong.

Check out the photos on these sites:
minsu.com.tw/
taiwanminsu.com.tw/
minsu.taiwanking.com/
tw.myblog.yahoo.com/taiwanminsu/
bb-Taiwan.com/
twhotel.com.tw/

People are willing to spend a bit, too. A lot of these places cost 2000 or more a night.[/quote]

Yes, there are lots of places, but the websites won’t show occupancy and if it’s viable to run as a business.
I believe that was the OP’s intent.
My wife and I are surviving business wise, but we don’t have to pay a mortgage or rent the building. We were lucky enough to have inherited it.
My FIL bought those properties years ago dirt cheap.
Could a startup make it here. I don’t know.
In my opinion it would be rough.
If we had to pay the mortgage, I don’t think it would be worthwhile.

Josefus, fixed the link, thanks for the heads up.