Best places to live if you work in Taipei but want to go home to peace and quiet?

It’s actually IN Taipei city. Minsheng neighbourhood. 民生社區

The one near Minquan Road? If that’s right why is it so good?

Correct, it’s a relatively leafy quiet neighborhood for Taipei.

3 Likes

Number one for me; fewer barking dogs. My new place has zero barking dogs. My old place around 17.

3 Likes

Tree lined streets, wide sidewalks, lots of public parks.

Takeshi’s Turn Left, Turn Right was filmed there. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

And coffee shops. Except . . . no elevators. All the buildings are 40 plus years old walkups. Oh, and no MRT.

Edit: I recall @Mother_Theresa lived there, if he’s still on these boards.

2 Likes

That’s the bad thing about it

Someone posted a Taiwanese blog article the other day on Facebook that said Minsheng shequ was the nicest neighborhood in Taipei because of its walkability and many cafés. I have a colleague who lives there. I can’t imagine it’s cheap though.

2 Likes

Its not bad for sure . It’s nothing spectacularly nice either. You still have scooters whizzing about.

If you want to be in Taipei city on a bus route but not near much in the way of conveniences, you may want to look into housing in Neishuangxi (内雙溪), Zhishan Rd Sec. 3 (至善路).
The back roads up to Yangmingshan such as Shamao Rd (紗帽路) are also out of the way but some are on minibus routes. Affordability and availability may be an issue though.

1 Like

Neihu has lots of good areas

The MRT isn’t too far away depending where you live.

I’d probably say Wenshan, Neihu or Xindian

But me personally, I loved the convenience and close proximity to nightlife so stayed in Xinyi.

My wife and I are of a very similar mindset to the OP, and we are leaning heavily towards the new developments in Danshui, aka Danhai (which I think was mentioned by another poster above). It has beautiful ocean views, bike paths, easy access to the North coast, and all within an hour or so of central Taipei. It also has relatively cheap rent for (more) modern and newer apartments (some of them have ovens!!). I guess it depends on what you want: deep in the mountains or near the Ocean?

1 Like

Thanks for the responses, chaps! Some really good suggestions here that I’m going to take seriously, although a number of the seemingly best suggestions which are very isolated while not being too far from the city are too pricey. When I lived in Taiwan in the past, I was young and new, so I wanted to stay right in the heart of Taipei to be near the nightlife and excitement, but I think doing that took its toll on my mental and, indeed, physical health. It seems like there are actually a lot of options for those of us who want peace and quiet after all.

2 Likes

What about Yingge or even Sanxia? Close to nature, way less expensive than Taipei, and still not too far away by train.