Betel-Nut Beauties

Someone asked in another thread (and I can’t find it now) about a photo book of “betel-nut beauties”. You can find the book at Eslite Bookstore in the Photography department. The book is:

“A Moment of Beauty” by Chin-Pao Chen and is in English and Chinese.

I always tell my Taiwanese friends that in the US, the tourist brochures for Taiwan all have pictures and sections dedicated to Beetle Nut Beauties and the best places to go see them. They always get real defensive and say that there is more to Taiwan than that, and then they finally break down and say it is the cutlure. :stuck_out_tongue:

They never seem to believe that we don’t have such things back in the States… :shock:

And here’s Mr. Chen’s photographes online:
inter-asia.org/journal/corre … /01htm.htm

And for those of you who can read Chinese and care about the history/culture behind all this, this is a good essay:
mail.nhu.edu.tw/~society/e-j/17/17-04.htm

Pretty cool…

Yikes! I clicked on the link. Those girls are coyote ugly. :?

Thanks Schu and Blue. That’s what I’m after. I once asked at Eslite and they seemd incredulous that there should even be such a book. From those few online photos though, I think he’s failed to capture the ‘essence’ of binlang xishi. I don’t think they have to be very good-looking, but there is ‘a look’. I’ll check out the book in Eslite and see if it’s worth buying.

Brian

Since I am not in Taiwan, please do keep me posted on whether the book is worth the bucks. Just the mere existance of such “culture” is worth examining IMO. I have never thought of those girls twice except for their bodies and looks until I realized there is actually something more to the whole ecosystem and culture of this “business”. Fasinating…

I agree,

they don’t have to be drop-dead beautiful but what is this “a look / essence” you are talking about?
Looks like you’ve been analysing this more than me so I’d like to know your conclusion on the subject!

Personally, I just enjoy having a quick look at a girl who’s making effort to be sexy while I’m stuck in the traffic jam. It’s relaxing. :sunglasses:

Frederic

I think this is closer to what’s protrayed in the book:
syybay.com/big5/syy0photo/p1.htm

BTW, I think the price of the book is about $450NT.

ok, who has ever stopped and bought something or just stopped for a closer look?

Never have myself, I don’t have the nerve.

Here’s what you might see in real life. :shock: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

geocities.com/taiwan_selang/betel.htm

[color=red]
Don’t open if your boss is nearby!!!
[/color]

wowsers, she wasnt wearing no trousers! blueface, how did you find that one? wow!

Apple Daily had a story yesterday, pic too, of guy fucking a girl in a booth, then getting bopped on the head by her bf. ouch!

But this beaver shot is out of this world. Maybe it is.

I stop sometimes to buy an ice coffee or a coke. Some of these girls are really funny. Even if they don’t really speak english and I don’t speak chinese, I had a couple of laughts. :smiley:

The first time I came to Taiwan (2 years ago), it was possible to find girls dressed like the one on the picture. Just needed to ask one of those guys with red teeth. The first time I saw one like that I almost choked. :shock:
But then, people start to complain and the police was asked to make sure they were not too sluty.

Haaaaaaa… :blush:

Frederic

Nice pictures, Blueface!

Such a pity that none of the betel-nut beauties in Hsintien are as daring as that – at least not when I’ve ever seen them.

But I get the impression that they’re not too friendly towards foreigners. I often walk past a clutch of them on my way to and from the MRT station, and sometimes try to catch their eyes and exchange smiles, hoping they might be inclined to give me the come-on or engage in a little friendly banter. Unfortunately, all I tend to get in response is a “What the f… are you gorping at, foreigner. You’re not one of us, so toddle along and don’t go dreaming we’d let you try to get pally with us” kind of look.

omni, and boss hogg, here’s how to do it. Well, on second thought, with sandman stalking my every thought and boss already readying my mind, do what you like. Just don’t get caught … out.

Stalking 101

Sounds more like grooming to me. There’s some mighty strange individuals out there!

Here’s more of what I consider to be classic binlang xishi style:

http://www.mycen.com.my/inbox/betelnut.html

Brian

Thanks, Sir Don – you’ve perked me up no end with that.

A couple more then. I had the brilliant idea of typing the Chinese ‘bin lang’ into the Google image search function. Someone should start a webpage to collect these by the way.

zaobao.com/grapevine/images/twgirl161002.jpg

image2.sina.com.cn/dy/s/2002-10- … 163128.JPG

forums.chinatimes.com.tw/ctw/1280/photo/c1.jpg

huaxia.com/images4/6.jpg

club.pchome.com.tw/club/s/h/shot … g/logo.gif

Brian