Better Christians?

[Edited by moderator: the following posts were split from the topic How can I be a better person? ]

Tigerman,

I didn’t mean to imply that you implied that you are perfect. I have to start using that wink button. :wink:

The “nobody” remark - low. Would have thought a mod. would be above that, nobody is perfect :wink:

I think Taiwan has a higher “slip backwards” rate than other countries.

Taiwan is losing more Christians than most any other place on the planet. FACT.

Don’t have a bible handy. You have an internet connection right?

Your goals and values are fine and noble. Again, I judge you not.

You didn’t ask what I meant by better, you said “Better? What the hell are you talking about?”. I could read that a few ways.[/url]

Hey Tigerman, you need to do the research. This guy has it all figured out, and like Ke di er, he’s fond of Corinthians.
And he doesn’t just create his works for grown-ups (hee hee!) Try this one out on your boy. Never does any harm to start 'em young.

[quote]Taiwan is losing more Christians than most any other place on the planet. FACT.
[/quote]
Links please.

[quote=“Ke di er”]Tigerman,

I didn’t mean to imply that you implied that you are perfect. I have to start using that wink button. :wink:[/quote]

Either that or be more precise in your writing.

You asked a question. I answered it. What’s “low” about that? You are apparently a Christian… as such, I again see nothing about my reply that you should feel was “low”… you are not the one who will be doing any judging, are you?

[quote=“Ke di er”]I think Taiwan has a higher “slip backwards” rate than other countries.

Taiwan is losing more Christians than most any other place on the planet. FACT.[/quote]

Are you equating “Christianity” with “better”? I’m not suggesting that you are… I simply want to understand you.

Nonetheless, I’ll sleep better knowing that you think my goals and values are fine and noble.

Really? How?

In any event, you have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

“Better”? What the hell are you talking about?

So, yes, I did ask you what you meant by “better”.

I think Taiwan has a higher “self-improvement” rate than other countries.

Taiwan is losing more Christians than most any other place on the planet. FACT.

[quote=“tigerman”]

In any event, you have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

“Better”? What the hell are you talking about?[/quote]

Well, maybe this could have been phrased differently, perhaps without the “hell” (that Taipei Times style is catching on).

Ke di er wrote:

“I think Taiwan has a higher “slip backwards” rate than other countries. . . Taiwan is losing more Christians than most any other place on the planet. . . I judge you not.”

And we’ve got another thread going about Christians wondering why no one likes them? Jeez, get a clue dude. If you want to believe in that hocus pocus mumbo jumbo, that’s fine, no one’s gonna bother you. But when you join a group of total strangers and announce that Taiwan’s slipping backwards cuz people don’t worship jesus, you’re begging to be flamed.

I’ve got some questions for you Ke: Why is that Christians are so often so damned judgmental? Why is that Christians so often feel they are superior to the rest of humanity? Why is it that so many Christians can quote from the Bible but haven’t a clue how to live by its standards? Are you familiar with Matthew 7:1? “Judge not, lest ye be judged.”

If it really is true that Taiwan is losing Christians, some people might see that as a sign of progress, of the triumph of science over superstition, logic over blind faith, reasoning over rituals. Why don’t you work on the speck in your own eye before you going around sticking needles in the eyes of camels?

[quote=“tigerman”]In any event, [Ke di er] have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

Wouldn’t have changed the meaning.

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“tigerman”]In any event, [Ke di er] have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

Wouldn’t have changed the meaning.[/quote]

Never said it would have.

[quote=“tigerman”]In any event, [Ke di er] have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

I can phrase just about anything differently… the only thing that matters is the meaning… and that is what Ke di er was implying was ambiguous.

[quote=“sandman”]Hey Tigerman, you need to do the research. This guy has it all figured out, and like Ke di er, he’s fond of Corinthians.
And he doesn’t just create his works for grown-ups (hee hee!) Try this one out on your boy. Never does any harm to start 'em young.[/quote]

Wow, I can see you’re going to be lots of fun at the next happy hour :wink:

[quote=“tigerman”][quote=“tigerman”]In any event, [Ke di er] have misquoted me. Here’s what I asked:

I can phrase just about anything differently… the only thing that matters is the meaning… and that is what Ke di er was implying was ambiguous.[/quote]

I dunno, if someone is a Christian, I wouldn’t use words that they might find blasphemous, unless I were looking to provoke them.

Ole Preacher Ke wasn’t complaining about blasphemy. He was complaining about ambiguity. Tigerman’s question wasn’t ambiguous in the least.

And Ke? I know I’ve become a better person since I’ve been here. Why, before I arrived in Taiwan I could barely hold 8 pints without puking into my trouser cuffs. Now I can carry on bevvying till the sun comes up and STILL have room for a vindaloo with extra poppadoms. Sel-improvement just doesn’t get much better than that.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]But when you join a group of total strangers and announce that Taiwan’s slipping backwards cuz people don’t worship jesus, you’re begging to be flamed.

That’s right, Ke, if you had been around for a while and started posting stuff like “Taiwan’s slipping back because these Chinese don’t give a crap about each other” or “Taiwan’s economy is screwed because Chinese don’t understand the first thing about marketing or quality” or “What is it with Chinese, can’t they get on the MRT without bumping into each other,” then you’d probably be getting guanxi right now. You see, you can attribute “falling back” to inherent racial traits, just not to a decline in the number of Christians. It’s all based on the science, logic and reasoning that MT is talking about (MT, I’m not in any way, shape or form saying that you make such statements, simply that they are made and often go by without any comment).

One last thing, Ke, it seems to me that it’s a lot tougher coming out as a Christian than as a gay on forumosa.com. You might want to see the threads re: gays on how to better market your religion. Suggesting that we are all biologically Christian may be the way to go.

If I were Ke, and I were offended by Tigerman using the word “hell”, then I wouldn’t say anything either, because if he’s going to throw it at a Christian in the first place, it could well encourage him to use it again and again and again. You, you, you… big duh!

You’re not. So stop putting words into his mouth.

[quote]One last thing, Ke, it seems to me that it’s a lot tougher coming out as a Christian than as a gay on forumosa.com. You might want to see the threads re: gays on how to better market your religion. Suggesting that we are all biologically Christian may be the way to go.
[/quote]

Perhaps. Certainly if any of the people posting on the gay thread made the ridiculous implication that Taiwan is slipping backward due to a lack of gays, they would be met with howls of derision at least equal to those reserved for Ke and his cock-a-mamie theories, that’s for sure.

You’re not. So stop putting words into his mouth.[/quote]

Oh, boo hoo. Take it as a general point: It’s generally on the safe side not to use “hell” (i.e. What the hell are you talking about) with Christians. If you don’t care, I don’t care if you don’t care, so there.

“Better”? What the Hell are you talking about?[/quote]

Hakka,

I swear quite a bit. Its a “bad” habit of mine. I do not regard the word “Hell” as being particularly offensive… and in any event, I am under no obligation to treat Ke di er as if his vulnerability is egg-shell fragile. I’m not exactly throwing him to the lions, am I?

I was raised Roman Catholic and still maintain very close ties with many priests and brothers. Some of them swear like drunk cowboys. Hell, some of them drink like drunk cowboys… anyway… If Ke di er considers the word “Hell” offensive, then he’s in for a very rough life. Especially if he’s going to initiate discussions regarding how we might all “better” ourselves.

Talk about being “provocative”!

[quote=“tigerman”]Hakka,

I swear quite a bit. Its a “bad” habit of mine. I do not regard the word “Hell” as being particularly offensive… and in any event, I am under no obligation to treat Ke di er as if his vulnerability is egg-shell fragile. I’m not exactly throwing him to the lions, am I?

I was raised Roman Catholic and still maintain very close ties with many priests and brothers. Some of them swear like drunk cowboys. Hell, some of them drink like drunk cowboys… anyway… If Ke di er considers the word “Hell” offensive, then he’s in for a very rough life. Especially if he’s going to initiate discussions regarding how we might all “better” ourselves.

Talk about being “provocative”![/quote]

But you were so careful in the Pink Martini thread, you didn’t even use the “N-word.”

Actually, I’m not comfortable referring to people as “queers” and “fags” either, nor with “n…r.” I’m also not fond of using words like “hell” with Christians. I didn’t grow up with priests and ministers that swear like drunk cowboys. I did have a Christian roommate (evangelical) for one year. He wasn’t bothered by the use of the word hell in movies, but was bothered if I used it when talking to him. He saw it as disrespect, since I could have made the same point without using the word “hell,” but chose not to even though I knew the word bothered him). That was my basic point in the beginning, that there is a good chance that a Christian will be bothered by that word, so why even go there?

Very sensible. The nig*** word is surely only appropriate between colored people, just as queer or fag is more appropriate between us of the pink persuasion.

Call me a fag, and I’ll give you a bitch slap you breeder, you. :laughing: