Better Christians?

Yes, I agree. The only Mormons I’ve been able to maintain friendships with are those who understand and accept that I’m actually happy without the church. Some of them warned me in the beginning that I’d never find happiness outside the church, that I’d slip into “wickedness” and lose my “goodness.” Nowadays, they see what I’ve done with my life and understand my approach to it. Most of them tell me that I’ve helped them realize that there are many possible paths one can follow in life, and still be a good person.

At least some Christians get it. There are those who still believe the “all or nothing,” or the “if you aren’t with us, you’re against us” theories. Those sort of Christians seem to live with a lot of conflict in their hearts.

[quote=“Ke di er”]Oh yeah, before I forget.

The reason that no one attacks Tomas is because he is an ex-mormon…[/quote]

I am just as open about my feelings about Mormonism and Christianity with Mormon and Christian friends, and nobody gets upset. It’s all in how you deal with people.

Thanks for that. I don’t hold any grudges or bitterness against Mormonism or Christianity. I hope that comes through.

This thread has brought to mind a homily I heard in an Anglican church in Hong Kong a few weeks ago. For those of you who aren

Thanks for the kind words Bassman, almost typed your real name there.

I should have kept my mouth shut though, I am not ready for defending a faith that I myself am just starting to live again. I guess it’s put up or shut up time and I’ll have to start living the life now.

It’s all too quiet here in Wu ri and I have way too much free time on my hands. I should go back to Hartford I guess, but I don’t like the weather.

OK, I want to be a better person too. Sorry about the insults Ke. Good luck on your new journey.

I like your posts, Ke di er. I find them thoughtful and mature.

Ke, while you’re living the life, please keep us updated on how it’s going.

It’s going better.

Where can I get a Chinese / English Bible? No, I don’t want to get out to convert the locals. I want to combine my study of Chinese and the Bible, that way I may just do something about both.

:blush:

[quote=“Ke di er”]It’s going better.

Where can I get a Chinese / English Bible? No, I don’t want to get out to convert the locals. I want to combine my study of Chinese and the Bible, that way I may just do something about both.

:blush:[/quote]

You might do well to ask the folks at TLI. They of course will want to sell it to you with a mark up. TLI originally served missionaries. Quite a lot of their students are still missionaries. When I studied there, I met someone who had just the sort of bible you’re probably looking for: C/E on opposing pages, and I think it even had Zhuyinfuhao with the Chinese, although I could be confusing two different bibles.

my cousin’s grandma is part of the ‘underground’ christian church in a city in china (where the only churches i saw were those for foreigners).

She had some copies of a bilingual new testament given to her by outsiders. all very illegal or heavily frowned upon by authorities to say the least.

i think the group prints/operates out of taiwan or hk and sneaks them in. it was a very interesting read, though difficult language. plus, all the names really threw me off. i mean those names are alien enough as it is in ‘english’, but translated into chinese just looked weird.

i have a very good one at work, given to me by my grandmother several years ago. i will look and see if there is any taiwan publisher on it, it is in traditional characters. after years in the box and regular admonitions by said grandma to read it, it has been seeing some regular use lately as my wife has done some backsliding of her own and been baptized :slight_smile: these days i am often put in the curious position of an atheist explaining christian tenets to a new believer :slight_smile:

us publisher but here it is anyway

Hymnody & Bible House
po box 503 berkely ca 94701

415 527 2966

Thank you so much, everyone here… almost everyone, is so helpful and considerate. What a great place.

I have given up on that other thread though, no, not given up, just not interested anymore.

I am interested in conversation with Christians though.

Churches in Taichung???
I know there is one for expats but I just can’t find it.

[quote=“Ke di er”]
I am interested in conversation with Christians though.

Churches in Taichung (Taizhong)???
I know there is one for expats but I just can’t find it.[/quote]

Perhaps there should be a members only thread for Christians. It is obvious that we have a sub-community of Christian believers here.

I’d of course like to join the Hedonists group, if we form one of those :slight_smile: .

Ke, ask the Mormon missionaries where the expat church is. When I was a Mormon missionary, and someone from abroad asked me about other churches, I’d of course try to sell them on my own church. Failing that, I’d do the Christian thing and tell them where they could go to worship the faith of their choice. Most Mormon missionaries know where the other Christian churches are, and are interesting in being good guys by helping you find one that you like.

They used to give away copies of the New Testament plus Psalms. The edition was from the Gideons (no idea what their Chinese name is).

My friend has a bilingual Chinese / English Bible, which I bet you can find in somebody’s bookstore. (If you want that instead of the free one.)

oh yeah, there’s a pretty big Christian bookstore on chungxiao sec 4, between yenchi and tunhua, south side, basement, if i remember right it’s next to the sanshang department store outlet on the corner of that big alley before yenchi. worth a look

it’s nice to see a place where Christians can converse back and forth without getting dissed every other post by atheists or agnostics or other who dislike religion. For every person, there is a season, a reason under heaven and earth, and I am glad the Christians among us can use this forum to talk about their concerns. it is a good lesson for all of us.

formosa, doomed to hell but otherwise happy