Better options than the iPhone?

I heard good things about pixel phones…

1 Like

I was hard-core HTC until they stopped making flagship phones.

Tried Huawei…was good until Google quit them.

Now using Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.

Great phone. No problems.

2 Likes

I like my Samsung phones so much that I’m a bit scared to jump to another brand. They just work and do things fantastical.

1 Like

I think if a person wants to always buy the latest and greatest then of course the experience will be great. these companies design, manufacture and market to exactly this crowd and punish those of us who hope to spend good money on quality and use it for a long time. As @Taiwan_Luthiers is hinting at, new stuff is designed not to last or to be strong. For people like us, this is a problem. The throw away culture is concerning. Nevermind money and security issues. This is why i dont buy new phones anymore. First, i dont want to give china more of my money, second they are usually shitty builds now anyway so i might as well spend 2000 a year instead of 20,000 haha. Anything needing super performance gets done on a computer anyway.

1 Like

Well you could always use those old HTC smartphones, that ran on Windows CE and all that. I used to have something like this back when I was in the army. It was a HTC phone, ran on Windows CE 3.1 or something. It was basically a smartphone, had a crappy camera, internet browser, etc. but we’re talking GPRS/3G speeds here. That was long before iphones came out.

No idea what that means. but my wifes htc phones ranging back many years all work perfectly fine still! The only issue is internet connection as they are 2g or something tech nerds think is ancient. Even if the phone works, cant use it. ironically our landline is also 2g…so why it cant work on the phone seems something of a farce on the service providers.

The disposable culture is now global. the great failure.

1 Like

Samsung make some nice phones for sure. Especially the display tech is fantastic.

However no android phone will hold their value, also will not be supported as long as even the cheapest of iPhones. (SE/6s) 2016 still supported on the latest iOS version.

Not to mention even older iPhones such as the 5s which can be bought for like £40 still getting security updates.

2g is obsolete now. Same with 3G in most countries.

Just the same as most places aren’t still using dial up internet.

The old infrastructure has been replaced with the newer more efficient systems.

Imagine trying to watch a standard (1080p) video on YouTube on 2g, you’d be waiting 3 days for it to load!

Have you ever tried using a iphone 6s/SE now?

Thing runs HOT, battery life is terrible even with fresh batteries. This is because the newer OS force the hardware to run harder, therefore draining battery life faster. And the phone is SLOW, very slow. Don’t even think about doing anything more with it, even stuff like playing music will cause the battery to drain pretty fast.

Also from iphone X and over, Apple has essentially trampled over your right to repair. Attempts to replace any part of the phone, even from another iphone, will result in said part not working correctly, such as replacement batteries will not charge at all. Apple charges so much for battery replacement service that you might as well buy a new device.

I rather have an Android device that at least sticks with a version of the OS that the phone is designed to run. Apple allows older devices, particularly devices that struggles to run their newest OS for a reason. It’s to basically persuade you to change your phone to a newer one. By forcing the phone to run much harder than it’s designed to, you will never get good battery life, and if your battery health was good it won’t be for long, as the intense use will degrade them faster.

Now if Apple just gave one, maybe two updates to their phones and stuck with it, the phone would probably have lasted longer. As the phone would run OS that it’s designed for and so it will still run it reasonably well. But that won’t work with their business model which is basically planned obsolescence.

I know you can get third party keyboards for Android phones, but I have yet to find ones that have as good of an autocorrect as Apple.

Well of course it does it’s 6 years old

Completely wrong. An SE or even 6s is more than capable of running anything you can throw at it (except high demanding games)

Have you even replaced an iPhone battery? Even before I worked at Apple I could replace an iPhone battery by myself with a $20 Amazon battery in 30 mins. If you think Lego style connectors are difficult then that’s then that’s your issue.

Congrats. You understand how lithium-ion batteries work.

… multiple security issues, would lag behind competitors and be unable to utilise new updates which they ‘offer’ to you, not ‘force’ upon you.
Don’t you know that updating to newer iOS versions is your own choice? It’s not mandatory. There is literally a ‘disable updates’ toggle.

It seems as though you know next to nothing about mobile tech but thanks for the ‘info’

Yes I am familiar with how iphone batteries are replaced.

What I mean is, starting with iphone X Apple has started signing every components, meaning each device knows the component it currently has, and assigned a value to it. If you replace that component with another component, even from another iphone of the same model or make, they will NOT work. It will sorta work, but not have full functionality. I had a iphone XR that refused to charge because the battery had been replaced (it shows charging but it in fact does not charge).

This video explains it better than I can.

If you have a iphone 6S or whatever, yea go and replace parts to your heart’s content, the device does not sign each individual parts. But starting with their latest phones, Apple has started doing this. It’s NOT about lego components, it’s that each part has a chip that the device knows the ID to, and if that does not match up, the OS will not allow the part to work correctly.

1 Like

Yeah and do you think that’s a bad thing?

You’re gonna drop £800 on a phone from some shop in Taipei. you’d hope it would have an official Apple battery rather than some £10 Chinese knockoff no?

The right to repair also means a right to get scammed

Imagine your phone screen broke so you went to Taipei an got it fixed in some 3rd party shop. They were on shopee and found a $200NT replacement and stuck it on for you.

Would you be happy with that?

If so then feel free to get an Android I guess.

If your phone was under warranty, you’d go to Apple and they’d take care of you. If you are out of warranty, or the circumstance of the damage was not covered under the warranty, then you should have the right to get it replaced by some guy who can do it. It is up to your judgment to see if the part is genuine or whatever. If it came off of another iphone, chances are it will work.

I’m fine if they did this while the phone is under warranty but for it to do this forever is excessive. Or Apple could do this secretly, as in it does not break your phone in any way but if you tried to take it to Apple for warranty it would be used as a basis to deny warranty claims.

1 Like

Do you know the average customer? Lol they couldn’t tell a legit battery from a swollen one.

Idk man I just disagree. Apple sell quality hardware, that is their sales point, not selling your data like android.

For Apple to allow people to buy some cheap shit taobao £6 battery and stick it inside their phone would completely undermine that.

The queues of people at the Genius Bar, pissed off cos their gammy screen, or blown up battery is not something Apple want.

If you’re really into customisation and ‘right to repair’ then continue buying android. I think many people love that option and competition is great.

Everyone who buys Apple product knows to take it to Apple while the device is within warranty. Apple has every right to deny right to repair within warranty period, but after that, they have no right to do so.

Meaning they should still do the part signing but not break the phone in any way. But Apple will be able to find out remotely that the phone is using non-original parts and therefore will not receive any support from Apple should anything go wrong.

Given the amount of money people spend on the devices, they will likely heed those advise.

1 Like

Anybody using a Google Pixel phone? I’m considering picking up one of the cheaper models. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

Guy

Currently using a 5, my wife a 4a 5G…will pick up the 6 when it’s available.

1 Like

Thanks for linking the other thread. I eventually found it!

Any thoughts on the 4a 5G? That’s the one I am considering.

Guy

She’s been happy with it, she just wishes it was a bit smaller. I tried to get her to get a 5, but she didn’t want to spend the extra money. Other than the size it’s been great for her.

2 Likes

One suggestion I give to my friends… if you don’t want your battery to crap out early don’t fast charge it for one and don’t use fast charging wireless charging pads for two.

The faster your charger is, the more heat is generated in the battery which kills it faster. I bought a 5V 1Amp wall charger which is slower than molasses but use it at night when I don’t need the phone. A year later and battery health is still 98%. I use fast charging only when I am going out right away and need power fast.

Another smart idea is to keep the battery no higher than 80%charge and no lower than 30%.
I follow the no lower than 30% suggestion but I still fully charge my phone because I need all day power and don’t have time to granny sit the phone while charging.

I’m sad LG is out of the game now as I have had all their phones. G4, G5, G6, and now the G8X.
When my current G8X and G6 die I’ll have to find a new manufacture as LG gave up. Probably will grab a cheap Xiaomi or Realme Chinese phone

3 Likes