Biden about to be cut loose?

One hates to leap forward because of rumors alone, but the Net is flooded with stories that Obama is about to jettison Delaware Joe and take Hilary Clinton in his stead. I’m no political historian, but I can’t imagine this has ever been done before, short of an untimely illness or death of the veep running mate. (PoliSci/History majors, commence with the facts…)

This is not an attempt to gloat about what may happen to Obama’s ticket should these rumors indeed be true. In all seriousness, what would be the ramifications of this move by Obama? Certainly Biden’s career will be finished. Would adding Hilary so late make that much of a difference? (One thing that leads me to believe the rumors are bogus is that there’s a date already in place for the axing of Biden – Oct. 5. Why wait so long? If Biden is crippling the ticket, what good would it do to leave him hanging on for another 10 days?)

If this happens, will the same questions be asked about Obama’s judgment that were asked about McCain’s when he selected Palin? If Biden was such a sound choice, then why replace him? Will Hilary’s selection be considered a pandering move toward the female vote? I think the media won’t dare go there, even though that was their first analysis of the Palin pick.

Again… it seems silly to speculate on all this, but in this, the craziest American political season in history, would this scenario really seem all that far-fetched?

(Or have I fallen for one of the oldest Internet tricks in the book – mass, false hysteria?)

Sounds implausible. Obama’s ahead by 1.8 points or so in the RCP average, he’s not out of money AFAIK, and the economic and financial woes might help him. The debates are full of opportunity. You’d have to be significantly behind to pull such a desperate stunt. I think it’s just a silly internet rumor. :idunno:

He’s going to wait until the day after he gets elected and then replace Biden with Osama bin Laden. You watch.

I sure hope Biden stays on the sinking ship. He’s funny to watch scooting his deck chair closer and closer to the rail.

His gaffes are great!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I sure hope Biden stays on the sinking ship. He’s funny to watch scooting his deck chair closer and closer to the rail.

His gaffes are great![/quote]

“Stand up, Chuck! Let everybody see ya! Oops! What am I talking about? That’s okay, we’ll all stand up for ya, Chuck! Stand up for Chuck, everybody!”

As funny as that Palin skit was on SNL, how does this Biden classic not get parodied? That was one of the funniest moments ever provided by a politician.

Most recently Thomas Eagleton, McGovern’s running mate was dumped 18 days of receiving the nomination back in 1972. I seriously seriously doubt that Obama would do this.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I sure hope Biden stays on the sinking ship. He’s funny to watch scooting his deck chair closer and closer to the rail.

Assuming they are gaffes that is

taiwandc.org/twcom/99-no5.htm

[quote]Then, in an incredible lapse of understanding of US policy and of basic facts, Mr. Biden said he told Taiwan (during his August trip) that the Taiwan Relations Act meant:

“… that we support a one- China policy, but it rests upon a cross-strait dialogue where the countries, where the parties, mutually arrive at how unification (emphasis added – Ed.) will take place peacefully; that if the mainland attempts to do this by force and not dialogue, then the United States will provide the military means in terms of materiel to prevent that from happening….”

Later he added that he also told Taiwan:

"You are no longer an independent country. You are no longer an independent nation-state. We’ve agreed that you are going to be part of China and that you will work it out under what conditions. So don’t go declaring independence …[/quote]
Maybe Obama/Biden is planning a major change on Taiwan policy, like Carter did.

Incidentally, I don’t believe anyone would drop a VP candidate based on what happened to McGovern, like what merge says.

And I should have remembered Eagleton, since I just finished a re-read of Hunter Thompson’s The Great Shark Hunt, with all the reporting on the '72 campaign.

I could fill a book with the shit I forget…

Well, looking back, that didn’t do McGovern much good. If this indeed goes down as rumored, Biden will be forever known as the guy who got undone by Sarah Palin, whether that’s an unfair assessment or not. Imagine the veep debate between Clinton and Palin that could spring forth from this, and the new SNL skit that would undoubtedly top the previous classic.

People have speculated that Biden might not want to rough up Palin in a debate, but Hillary would come out with all guns blazing. It would be the highest-rated TV show of all time, I’d bet on that.

Sinking ship? Talk about gaffes. That’s a good one, TC. :roflmao:

[quote] [color=#FF0000][b]Poll: Economic Discontent Boosts Barack Obama Over John McCain

Democrat Takes 52-43 Lead Among Likely Voters[/b][/color]

Barack Obama has seized the reins of economic discontent, vaulting over John McCain’s convention gains by persuading voters he both better understands their economic troubles and can better address them. . .

More economic worry, plus an Obama lead among those who express it, spells a lead for the Democrat: In a head-to-head-match-up he’s now supported by 52 percent of likely voters vs. McCain’s 43 percent[/quote]
abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Polit … 046&page=1

[quote=“the_average_white_man”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I sure hope Biden stays on the sinking ship. He’s funny to watch scooting his deck chair closer and closer to the rail.

“Stand up, Chuck! Let everybody see ya! Oops! What am I talking about? That’s okay, we’ll all stand up for ya, Chuck! Stand up for Chuck, everybody!”

As funny as that Palin skit was on SNL, how does this Biden classic not get parodied? That was one of the funniest moments ever provided by a politician.[/quote]
Or FDR giving a speech on television to the American public about the 1929 stock market crash.

The guys a gem…a gem I tells ya!

BTW, I thought the SNL Palin/Hillary skit was hilarious!

Gerald Ford fell down the stairs of Air Force One. So nyah! :rainbow:

If you want to equate an old man slipping down some stairs with a guy – who likes to tout his own IQ and has the “I’m smarter than all of you” schtick down pat, I might add – asking a crippled man to stand up in front of a few hundred people, good luck.

This race is the most interesting thing in US politics in years.

I am staggered Palin only got her passport last year.

Biden’s gaffe is probably further proof that politicians run their lips on auto-pilot. He tries to honor Chuck Graham with a phrase used a thousand times to allow people in a crowd to single out a person being recognized, screws up, and then turns it around nearly instantly by getting the whole room on their feet to honor Graham.

I find it a lot better, funnier and (given how fast he got the room on its feet to honor Graham) nicer than anything Sarah Palin has said. If, as has been alleged and still not contradicted, Palin is a foul-mouthed racist who referred to Obama as “Sambo”, then I’ll take Biden over Palin any day.

Actually, considering that Palin’s a frickin’ pork-barrell princess who’s been lying about her support for the Bridge to Nowhere project, I’d take Biden over her anytime, anywhere.

[quote=“Truant”]This race is the most interesting thing in US politics in years.

I am staggered Palin only got her passport last year.[/quote]

Very interesting, yes! :laughing:

On the passport, though, remember that you don’t need one to travel in North America, and there’s enough there to keep one occupied for decades of tourism. So it’s not surprising that a small-town hockey mom wouldn’t have one. What’s staggering is that anyone in their right mind would imagine such a person to be qualified to run the United States of America.

Maybe she said Soetoro and people misheard her?

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72656

[quote]A 2007 Associated Press photograph taken by Tatan Syuflana, an Indonesian AP reporter and photographer, surfaced last week on the Daylife.com photographic website showing an image of Obama’s registration card at Indonesia’s Fransiskus Assisi school, a Catholic institution.

In the picture, Obama is registered under the name Barry Soetoro by his stepfather, Lolo Soetoro. The school card lists Barry Soetoro as a Indonesian citizen born Aug. 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His religion is listed as Muslim.

Jack Stokes, manager of media relations for the AP, confirmed to WND the picture is indeed an AP photo.

After attending the Assisi Primary School, Obama later was enrolled at SDN Menteng 1, an Indonesian public school.

Obama’s campaign did not return repeated WND phone calls and e-mail queries the past week asking for a clarification regarding the school documentation listing the presidential candidate’s citizenship as Indonesian.

Obama spokesmen have stated the candidate is a natural-born citizen amid rumors he may have been born in his father’s home country of Kenya, but the campaign has not addressed whether Obama became a citizen of Indonesia at any point.[/quote]
Before you complain that this is all total horseshit, remember the phrase ‘alleged but not contradicted’ would apply to this too. I know I’ll accuse Obama of being the Antichrist. Then if he doesn’t contract my claims they’ll be alleged but not contradicted as well :laughing:

I’ve not seen any evidence that she is either foul-mouthed or racist. There’s plenty else to criticize her on, so I don’t see any value in dwelling on unsubstantiated smears like this.

Maybe she said Soetoro and people misheard her?

wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=72656

[quote]A 2007 Associated Press photograph taken by Tatan Syuflana, an Indonesian AP reporter and photographer, surfaced last week on the Daylife.com photographic website showing an image of Obama’s registration card at Indonesia’s Fransiskus Assisi school, a Catholic institution.

In the picture, Obama is registered under the name Barry Soetoro by his stepfather, Lolo Soetoro. The school card lists Barry Soetoro as a Indonesian citizen born Aug. 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. His religion is listed as Muslim.

Jack Stokes, manager of media relations for the AP, confirmed to WND the picture is indeed an AP photo.

After attending the Assisi Primary School, Obama later was enrolled at SDN Menteng 1, an Indonesian public school.

Obama’s campaign did not return repeated WND phone calls and e-mail queries the past week asking for a clarification regarding the school documentation listing the presidential candidate’s citizenship as Indonesian.

Obama spokesmen have stated the candidate is a natural-born citizen amid rumors he may have been born in his father’s home country of Kenya, but the campaign has not addressed whether Obama became a citizen of Indonesia at any point.[/quote]
Before you complain that this is all total horseshit, remember the phrase ‘alleged but not contradicted’ would apply to this too. I know I’ll accuse Obama of being the Antichrist. Then if he doesn’t contract my claims they’ll be alleged but not contradicted as well :laughing:[/quote]
Obama’s childhood friends deny he was a Muslim
And he was six years old.

Six

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Obama’s childhood friends deny he was a Muslim

Six[/quote]
I think you’re missing my point about whether things that are ‘alleged but not contradicted’ are actually worth much. Incidentally, if only the American media showed the healthy skepticism of those Indonesian kids. It’s also pretty funny that everyone goes on about him being a natural leader but the impression you get from that story is anything but

And what about this
freshnews.in/obama’s-muslim-coordinator-resigns-46572

Guess he shouldn’t have got Bill Ayers to advise him on who to hire as outreach coordinator.

[quote=“KingZog”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Obama’s childhood friends deny he was a Muslim

Six[/quote]
I think you’re missing my point about whether things that are ‘alleged but not contradicted’ are actually worth much. Incidentally, if only the American media showed the healthy skepticism of those Indonesian kids. It’s also pretty funny that everyone goes on about him being a natural leader but the impression you get from that story is anything but

And what about this
freshnews.in/obama’s-muslim-coordinator-resigns-46572

Guess he shouldn’t have got Bill Ayers to advise him on who to hire as outreach coordinator.[/quote]
I’m not missing the point at all. One is a link to allegation that you don’t believe, another is a link to an outright lie. The National Enquirer’s website is down right now, but they have a story on Palin’s affair with her husbands business partner. They were right about Edwards, maybe they’ll get lucky here.

Or is the term ‘get lucky’ too sexist?