Big Bike's license course and test

So… where can I take classes? My Chinese level is between “Ni hao” and “Uo jiao nega”.

Also… is it possible to find night classes?

Any input will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

PS: I´m selling a CPI too :stuck_out_tongue:

I did my evening course and test a few years ago in Beitou across from Guandu MRT station. Finished it in one week. Corner of Guandu and Dadu. Can see the facility on Google maps satellite view. I forget the name right now.

They are very cooperative :wink:

[quote=“tango42”]I did my evening course and test a few years ago in Beitou across from Guandu MRT station. Finished it in one week. Corner of Guandu and Dadu. Can see the facility on Google maps satellite view. I forget the name right now.

They are very cooperative :wink:[/quote]
Sounds awesome. A bit far from my office, but I guess what it’s worth trying.

Could you send me a location on google maps or somethig of the kind_ a phone number could work too :slight_smile:

The rule is you still have to be a resident for 1 year before being able to do a big bike license, correct?

Worth it Jesus! Get that card!

Alright: yesterday I underwent the medical check and it was pretty surrealistic. I mean, they could explain me what they expected me to say when looking through those machines/finders. It was fun, lot of laughs :smiley:

After the glance test, the an old folk made me sit down in front of him and asked me to make this and than with legs and arms, so he could see if I was strong enough or something. Pretty funny too. I was embarrassed, but couldn’t stop laughing xD

They gave me a card with my name, photo, stamp, and some text that most likely say that my glance, hearing and muscles are OK but most likely not my brain.

I finally found a couple of options for non chinese speakers:

A) a place near Changde lu: they have an instructor who speaks English. Classes start on Monday, 6 consecutive days, and then the test.
B) a place in south-west Banqiao: they don’t speak English, but are of the opinion that corporal language is more than enough. they start on Tuesday.

B seems to be very supportive or desperate for students, but A might be able to actually teach me something. I will decide today where to go.

1 Like

What’s the cost?

Does anyone know of a place in Taichung that offers something similar?

[quote=“SlowRain”]What’s the cost?

Does anyone know of a place in Taichung that offers something similar?[/quote]

150 in pictures, more or less
150 in the medical check
about 5,000 or 6,000 for the course
some extra fees and shit: less than 1,000, I think.

I will update prices as I know them.

Just in case anybody else needs it, here is the location of the driving school with A teacher who can speak English :smiley:

google.com/maps/place/112%E … 3?hl=zh-TW

I just came back from the training centre in Beitou. Now I understand a bit better why people here can drive or ride.

They don’t teach you how to ride. They dno’t focus on technical aspects nor safe. They want to make sure you pass the test and don’t fuck the bike. That’s all. Nobody will ever learn how to handle properly a motorcycle by taking these “classes”.

You have to do the whole test in first gear, except for a part where you have to ride “fast” for ending in an emergency brake. All the bikes are tweaked so that you don’t need to open gas (except in a small “bridge”), for the clutch has been tweaked. There are a few nonsensical things in the tests that I don’t know if are part of the test itself or just “advices” for you to pass the test, but they do encourage you to follow this “rules” (like not to shift gear, not to open gas).

Somebody has told me that after you pass the test (and get the license), sometimes the instructor tells you how to ride a real motorcycle as it should be ridden.

Anyway… my main problem is going to remember all the steps and rules. Indeed, I already did a couple of laps and I did it well… except for those things i forgot to do or so. They still have some marks from the previous circuit that they haven’t removed, which adds more noise and confusion.

That’s all for the moment :slight_smile:

It’s fine if they don’t speak English well. They will put you on the back of the bike and show you each step. If you’ve ridden, then you’ll get it. Kind of stupid for practical use, but kind of fun the first couple times.

One good thing. The bikes are idled to the exact speed needed to complete most of the obstacles/tests. Very comical. Get the bike going, then let it idle as you navigate the obstacle. Viola’.

I didn’t really spend much time practicing by the time the week ended and I took the test. Did the test quickly, test director signed it off, boom, out of there.

[quote=“tango42”]It’s fine if they don’t speak English well. They will put you on the back of the bike and show you each step. If you’ve ridden, then you’ll get it. Kind of stupid for practical use, but kind of fun the first couple times.

One good thing. The bikes are idled to the exact speed needed to complete most of the obstacles/tests. Very comical. Get the bike going, then let it idle as you navigate the obstacle. Viola’.

I didn’t really spend much time practicing by the time the week ended and I took the test. Did the test quickly, test director signed it off, boom, out of there.[/quote]
Yeah, I said that in the previous post :smiley: That’s why I think that nobody can learn to ride a bike with such a “training”.

[quote=“jesus80”]I just came back from the training centre in Beitou. Now I understand a bit better why people here can drive or ride.

They don’t teach you how to ride. They dno’t focus on technical aspects nor safe. They want to make sure you pass the test and don’t fuck the bike. That’s all. Nobody will ever learn how to handle properly a motorcycle by taking these “classes”.

You have to do the whole test in first gear, except for a part where you have to ride “fast” for ending in an emergency brake. All the bikes are tweaked so that you don’t need to open gas (except in a small “bridge”), for the clutch has been tweaked. There are a few nonsensical things in the tests that I don’t know if are part of the test itself or just “advices” for you to pass the test, but they do encourage you to follow this “rules” (like not to shift gear, not to open gas).

Somebody has told me that after you pass the test (and get the license), sometimes the instructor tells you how to ride a real motorcycle as it should be ridden.

Anyway… my main problem is going to remember all the steps and rules. Indeed, I already did a couple of laps and I did it well… except for those things I forgot to do or so. They still have some marks from the previous circuit that they haven’t removed, which adds more noise and confusion.

That’s all for the moment :slight_smile:[/quote]

It’s as with all exams in Taiwan, they just show you how to pass it without teaching you anything.

Jesus, are you buying a bike or renting in Taiwan? There are a few shops that rent around Taipei.

I don’t ride enough to buy, plus Taipei weather and traffic sucks, so I just rent whenever I want to ride which is a few times a month in good weather months.

[quote=“tango42”]Jesus, are you buying a bike or renting in Taiwan? There are a few shops that rent around Taipei.

I don’t ride enough to buy, plus Taipei weather and traffic sucks, so I just rent whenever I want to ride which is a few times a month in good weather months.[/quote]

I bought. May be it doesn’t make much sense, but I wanted to buy / own a red plate.

What did you buy and why did you choose it? New or used? What anti-theft method(s) are you using?

BMW F650GS Dakar, because I wanted something for touring with a touch of off-road. Second hand, of course. It sleeps in the building’s parking.

Today I had my first “class”, despite a bad backache I have. Totally ridiculous. The only challenge I see is to deal with the bike’s personality, that’s all. Each one of the bikes they have is fucked up, sorry, tuned up, in a slightly different way.

Sorry hijacking the thread.

But I have a UK big bike license already, as well as a Taiwan car driving license. I don’t have a scooter license… someone mentioned I would first need to get my scooter license, wait XX length of time and then apply for big bike license… argh? true? it has got to be easier than that… anyone with first hand experience?

I took the test today. Number 47… so i had to wait under the sun for almost an hour… the good news is that I passed the test and I will pick up the licence this Friday :smiley:

:discodance: :bravo: :pray: