Big drug bust in Taipei

I haven’t flown for quite some time.
Never raped, though one would take pillaging as a matter or course.
This morning, for example, on my day off, I am going to pillage a case of Guinness, and then some Sleeman’s
With extra relish.

Even though getting high is no big deal to westerners like us, we need to keep in mind that to the Taiwanese (and to the Chinese) it is absolutely TABOO.

The reason why recreational drug use is such a taboo to the Chinese and Taiwanese is because of the historical national trauma associated with the Opium Wars. “Drug use” riles up the Taiwanese. “Drug use” and “foreigners” in the same sentence is absolutely incendiary to the locals because of the historical association.

It is still a sensitive topic, 150 years later.

I don’t use recreational drugs (and being a health care professional I advise against it), but my advice for those that do: If you must get high while here in Taiwan, be aware of the locals’ sensitivities on the issue, and use maximum discretion.

Chinians and Taiwanians. Your use of the diminutive suffix “ese” only compounds the sensitivities. :no-no:

You have hurt the feelings of the Taiwanese people. :frowning:

LOL, I don’t take offense if someone calls me an Americkese. :laughing:

Though I’ve been called worse when I whip out the syringe to do a Lidocaine injection. :roflmao:

what is this nonsense about the opium wars blah blah…drug use is ronny rampant here, especially down south. i’ve been to raves where everyone from 10 year olds to 50 years olds is high as a kite. they have factories churning out MDMA, meth, and various combinations in between. have done for years. spare me the socio-cultural analysis…

That breaks my heart when I hear about 50-year-olds doing drugs. :cry:

:lick:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“tomthorne”] Now, I’m not in any way comparing TAS to Eton, but hopefully you get my point.

.[/quote]

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe it’s TAS. The article says Xinbei.[/quote]
Perhaps it’s the “Experimental Overseas Chinese School” in Banchiou!
They were experimenting as required so seems very unfair to me!

:lick:[/quote]
Quite, but alas they are not what they used to be.
Still, the cream ale is mighty fine, as is the porter.
:sunglasses:

[quote=“tomthorne”]I didn’t get where I am today by getting the facts right.

Do you think I could land a job with the Apple Daily?[/quote]

It’s nowhere near that easy. Just to get an inkling of what else it’ll take, would you push your grandmother off a cliff?

Assuming you wouldn’t, you’re still screwed because it seems you (unlike the apple daily) did get your facts straight, as I’m hearing through the grapevine, TAS, TES and Dominican.

I stopped hanging out with druggies years ago.
I still like me my prescription pills, which while bad for me, won’t land me in the slammer.

How do the people who go to the big drugs parties do it without freaking out? How do you hang out in a room with a few drug dealers, who may or may not be followed by the cops, and STAY there?

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

How do the people who go to the big drugs parties do it without freaking out? How do you hang out in a room with a few drug dealers, who may or may not be followed by the cops, and STAY there?[/quote]
You obviously never went to PURPLE in it’s heyday. :discodance:

Damn, I’ve still got a lighter from that place. Better go wipe it down. :whistle:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

How do the people who go to the big drugs parties do it without freaking out? How do you hang out in a room with a few drug dealers, who may or may not be followed by the cops, and STAY there?[/quote]

Damn, I’ve still got a lighter from that place. Better go wipe it down. :whistle:[/quote]

I’ve heard stories about that place, but it was before my time here.

I think I went to the place Purple became though, once, it was called Deviate I think? I saw lots of Taiwanese dudes sleeping on tables presumably passed out on K.

But I mean, I remember a certain dealer who was just SLOPPY. Everybody knew who he was because he was so flashy. And yet, people hung out with him, invited him to their parties, etc. Did cops used to be more tolerant of the party scene here than they are now? What gives? I would be scared to be seen under the same roof with that guy. And I wouldn’t have his number in my phone or be his friend on Facebook, either.

My mom says that one of the kids arrested was the son of TES’s CEO and that he didn’t get into any trouble at school cuz they treat white kids better.

out of curiosity… how do the police " tap" cellphones ?? and with so many foreigners living in Taiwan from countries all the world… ( not just teachers here)
how can they manage to have the time to listen to the vast amounts of calls been made?? also there are many different companies to use for service??

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]

Damn, I’ve still got a lighter from that place. Better go wipe it down. :whistle:[/quote]

Purple, didn’t keep any lighters, but I still get a bad taste in my mouth when I hear/see it mentioned.

[quote=“kungwan2000”]CTi news report

[/quote]

I didn’t realize it was that serious until I saw that they all wear scooter helmets all the time. Nothing scarier than a full face scooter helmet wearing pot smoker.