Bigger Bike

Grrr…in other words “Wait a few months the market might change drastically”.

Usually when I decide to buy something…I want it as soon as possible. When I found out I actually couldn’t get a loan in my name (no way no how) I started pulling out my hair (all 20 of them) trying to think of ways to get one.

My girlfriend agreed to getting a small loan in her name…so I checked what was in my new price range and found the FZ6 2nd hand on Yahoo. There is one with only 3600km for 250k. The list price on this is 320k.

But today I phoned up my buddy at his Kwak shop and said if I could come up with a large down payment…would he put the loan in his own name (he trusts me)? He said “Yes.” .

So I now have confirmation that on my next payday I can get a brand new 2006 Ninja…and you’re telling me I should wait a few months!!! ARRRGHHHH!!!

The only other bike in the “budget sports” range that I’d consider is the FZ6 (Fazzer 600). Do you really think it will drop so much considering it only has a list price of 320k? And wouldn’t the dealers need to get rid of their old stock before they could lower their prices to accomidate this new situation? If so I’m guessing that could take almost a year.

Also I checked out the mighty R6 talked about in this thread: YAMAHA R6 . And it’s selling for only 460k…that’s 20k cheaper than my old CBR cost new. If you’re telling me that that price will drop to 400k in a couple of months…you really think so?

yes and no… :wink:

it will happen, Yamaha will enter the market soon and the net result will be a drop in Yamaha prices for sure, and perhaps a corresponding, but much smaller drop in other brands, to compensate for the increased competition… you are right though in your estimation that the results won’t be immediate… there could be quite some lag in how the running change effects actual showroom prices… so if you want something yesterday, it could be a loooong wait…

as for the models… you really don’t want the FZ-6… every word ever written about it has been “nice looking bike, RUBBISH engine…” IMO when regarding a motorcycle, the “motor” bit is a fairly important part of the equation… :wink:

on to the R6… mighty it may be, I agree… BUT every one of the glowing, red hot reviews that surfaced about the new R6 last year were based on the bike’s release at the Losail circuit in Qatar… there is no denying the R6 shines on a track, probably brighter than any other sports 600, but all that hype was based on a track test… so now for the inevitable “insert fly X into ointment Y” part… BIKE has recently done the full scale, road test, track test, dyno test, everyday use test of the new range of sports 600s from all major manufacturers and the end result of the R6’s evaluation was something along the lines of “it seems they’ve finally built a bike that is so good on the track, that it’s rubbish on the road…” they do go on to say that its not really fair to say its rubbish etc etc etc and most of the testers all say they’d choose the new R6 over the old model R6, but they admit that the choice would be motivated by the “trick” factor of all the new bells and whistles not the performance… the updated '06 Kawasaki ZX6-R wins the test BTW, beats out the R6 as the allround package…

so… I don’t know… if you can get a 2nd hand bike that you’ll be happy with and suits your budget, then why not… just BE SURE you can get rid of it easily and without too much $ loss, in case you run into finances for what you really want… be careful though, bikes are such emotional things if you secretly lust after something else, you’ll look at your current ride in a very different light, which could sour the relationship…

I think I’ll get the Ninja 650R…even though there is a new one with a broken frame reported in America :astonished: .

When Skylark bought his CBR what did he do? He put in a smaller front sprocket lowering the top speed but giving it more low end “grunt”. And if I bought a FZ6 I’d probably be doing the same thing. But with the Ninja 650R, it’s made for low end power right out of the box. And in a way the FZ6 is just a weaker version of the CBR’s engine (inline-4) put in a cheaper package. But the Ninja’s engine (inline-2) is something all together different…with a totally different feel.

Although I’ve read quite a few reviews on the FZ6 and I’ve never heard anything bad said about it other than it’s “buzzy”. The engine puts out the most power and has the highest top speed…in it’s class (budget sport). But it does still seem to lose out in some comparisons…not in this one though: snowmobilereviewnetwork.com/ … sp?code=68

Here is a paraphrase from a FZ6, 650R and Suzuki 650 comparison, "Long story short, the 650R was the favored machine. The 650S is a dated machine and should have been retired a few years ago. The FZ6 is a fine high power carver, but you have to work at it; better top speed, handling and brakes, but short of the brakes advantage, not as much fun or ease as the 650R. "

But that review almost makes me want the FZ6 more…better power, handling and brakes?!? And it still loses the comparison??? Because the Ninja is easy??? Is easy a good thing??? Should I start using one question mark instead of three??? With eleven years of riding experience under my belt, do I really want to buy the easiest bike to ride? So many questions…so few brain cells…

No, you will buy the wrong bike. You need a bike you work hard on and with to get the buzz. If I was a young bugger like you I’d want the same thing.

I need the FZ6 for the same reasons you don’t need it. I want a light weight easy ride with more upright body position and easy power down in the lower revs.

Funny about the brain cells btw.

[quote=“Mordeth”]I think I’ll get the Ninja 650R…even though there is a new one with a broken frame reported in America :astonished: .

When Skylark bought his CBR what did he do? He put in a smaller front sprocket lowering the top speed but giving it more low end “grunt”. And if I bought a FZ6 I’d probably be doing the same thing. But with the Ninja 650R, it’s made for low end power right out of the box. And in a way the FZ6 is just a weaker version of the CBR’s engine (inline-4) put in a cheaper package. But the Ninja’s engine (inline-2) is something all together different…with a totally different feel.

Although I’ve read quite a few reviews on the FZ6 and I’ve never heard anything bad said about it other than it’s “buzzy”. The engine puts out the most power and has the highest top speed…in it’s class (budget sport). But it does still seem to lose out in some comparisons…not in this one though: snowmobilereviewnetwork.com/ … sp?code=68

Here is a paraphrase from a FZ6, 650R and Suzuki 650 comparison, "Long story short, the 650R was the favored machine. The 650S is a dated machine and should have been retired a few years ago. The FZ6 is a fine high power carver, but you have to work at it; better top speed, handling and brakes, but short of the brakes advantage, not as much fun or ease as the 650R. "

But that review almost makes me want the FZ6 more…better power, handling and brakes?!? And it still loses the comparison??? Because the Ninja is easy??? Is easy a good thing??? Should I start using one question mark instead of three??? With eleven years of riding experience under my belt, do I really want to buy the easiest bike to ride? So many questions…so few brain cells…[/quote]

hahaha…use as many question marks as you want, but I’ll back up plasmatron on this one. My landlord has an FZ6n and he’s put close to 20,000kms on it in 2 years. He performed regular maintenance on it and rides it normally. Last weekend, he called me to tell me that he had ridden a friend’s Hornet 600 and that the Hornet’s engine was just amazingly useful and responsive compared to his FZ-6…Notice the key words “useful” and “responsive”…and that is what the FZ-6 is missing in the engine dept. It just has nothing down low and in the mid-range, it’s all up there at the very top, and there isn’t much of it. The interesting part is that the Hornet 600 uses the old variant of the 599cc engine from the CBR 600F3.

I am also not too impressed with the fit and finish of the FZ-6. The underseat exhaust cooks the passenger’s ass and on the “n” version, the instrument cluster is offset to the right, which the view is partly blocked by the brake’s master cylinder. Of course, I’ve ridden it before and found the same thing about the engine. It was always a heavy throttle until it got way up in the revs, then it sang for about 2,000rpms and just keeled over. If having to put the revs high for such a short kick was the order of the day, I would much rather go for a CB400 with VTEC where the thrills last longer compared to the FZ-6.

The best thing to do is to try an FZ-6. Then you can make an accurate judgment.

Cheers

au contraire…

Allow me to introduce the best argument to date for waiting for Yamaha’s entry into the market…

The 2006 Yamaha FZ1

Now that is one good looking machine… wow… it’s officially been released, like most bikes these days on the fantastic roads around Cape Town, South Africa… And the first reports seem to have it pegged as an absolute peach of an engine with frame and suspension to match, good looking, well spec’ed and boy is it versatile… the Yamaha optional add ons list includes bolt on full side fairing panels, high screen and colour matched hard luggage, making this thing a fantastic tourer with the change of a few body parts, and then back to a mad “corner catapault” for fun weekends on the twisties…

It’s got the 2005 R1 engine in it, tuned for midrange… 2005, not some dusty old relic of an engine they found lying around the factory, it’s the full on stonking 20 valve '05 R1 powerplant in that thing… Yamaha’s schmancy injection cast frame is light and stiff, and its got the same sexy alloy swingarm we saw on the R1… the same light 5 spoke wheels as the R1, and fully adjustable forks and rear monoshock… wow…

There is, as always a small fly in the ointment with first ride reports metioning snatchy fuel injection response coming off a closed throttle, but those will doubtlessly have been ironed out by now since it’s largely down to mapping and I suspect the cool looking, but engine choking muffler, which BTW isn’t all bad since it keeps the tree huggers and petty thieves at the Taiwan smog test happy…

All in all it seems this bike has massive potential to be not just a fantastic, versatile road bike, but a fantastic versatile road bike that makes sense in Taiwan… Plus it’s been available in the US as of Feb 2006, which means it’ll be availabe in Taiwan and minute now… The only really important question is red or silver… hmmmmmm… :uhhuh:

Red or silver…hmmm…I’ll go for the “n” version in yellow please!

With a few tasty mods, it would be a total looker!

Woo Hoo!..I’m talkin’ Gangsta Lean and Lookin’ Mean… :sunglasses:

some cupholders, ash tray for a cigar…crusin’ the island…

Sorry, no N version available… you’ll have to wait…

Sorry, no N version available… you’ll have to wait…[/quote]

In that case, I’ll just myself up one of these bad boys…a Honda Fusion X!

talk about ugly! :noway:

Thanks for the review skylarkpuma, it was a good read. Motorcyclerider says about the same as you…and he’s ridden one before as well.

It’s ok though…now it seems I’m getting the Ninja 650R again. I introduced some other people to the owner of the shop…and it looks like they will be buying bikes from him. So I none too subtlely reminded him of the favour…then asked if he’d get a loan in his own name for me to buy a bike from him (odd sentence, eh?). He said he would as long as I can come up half or more for a down payment…and we’ll put the bike in his name until I pay it off (which shouldn’t take long). So this will be my first NEW “Big Bike” in about 11 years. Yay for me!

I want the Ninja because it will have a completely different feel to it than with the CBR. The FZ6 would probably just feel like a weaker…heavier…CBR, since they both have the same type of high rpm engines. But the Ninja has it’s power on the opposite end of the scale…should be interesting.

Plus, I’m looking forward to what a twin-cylinder sports bike sounds like with the loudest possible pipe I can buy. :smiling_imp: This one looks nice…not sure how it sounds: twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper? … _2006.html

Also I found this from a comparison test between the highly popular Suzuki SV against the Ninja:

ER6n 130.79 top speed, 12.54 @ 106.71, 40-110 roll-off 12.95.

SV650 130.98 top speed, 12.71 @ 108.32, 40-110 roll-off 15.30.

They called the ER6 a match for the SV, and the Kawa felt smoother.

[quote=“Ironman”]No, you will buy the wrong bike. You need a bike you work hard on and with to get the buzz. If I was a young bugger like you I’d want the same thing.

[color=blue]I need the FZ6 for the same reasons you don’t need it. [/color]I want a light weight easy ride with more upright body position and easy power down in the lower revs.

Funny about the brain cells btw.[/quote]

Talking about brain cells I buggered that post up. Meant that I need the Ninja650r.

I called in today and saw the grey 650r in the flesh. Hated it in the brochure. Really like it IRL and the 2 tone seat sets it off nicely.

I hope you’re making the right decision Mordeth. My buddy in Australia just went down the path of selling a Ducati because he was getting really sore from the race riding position after a 2 hour Sunday ride.

He purchased a BMW and called it his ‘Grandpa Bike’ and hated it so much he sold it a few weeks later and has now purchased a Ducati again. This time he got the one with the more upright riding position.

He is an ex road racer and needs the odd adrenaline rush when riding. I suspect you won’t be happy without the rush and may go down the same path. Time will tell.

I’m worried too. But I used to ride a Jap cruiser…and I had plenty of adrenaline rushes on that…for example…6 blocks at 140km/hr on the sidewalk, through a residential area, without checking at intersections. My friend who is still my roommate in Taiwan was on the back…and when I got home he was frozen with fear on the back of the bike…litteraly. It took him almost a full 10 minutes before he could unclench his hands from the bike and get off.

So don’t worry about me…if there’s a way to be an idiot on this bike (and I’m sure there is)…I’ll find it :wink: .

And like I commented on before, the torque for the Ninja and a 600 Supersports bike…is the same…so the “feel” of the bike should still be comparable (I’m hoping).

The “feel” won’t be the same if and when you’re looking for those extra horsepower at 12-14,000rpm and the twins all pegged out long before.

I’ve just read enough review to be totally confused now. One bit did catch my attention when the guy said riding one of the twins was a bit like being on his dirt bike because it felt light and he could flick it around. That is exactly the feeling I’m looking for.

The “feel” won’t be the same if and when you’re looking for those extra horsepower at 12-14,000rpm and the twins all pegged out long before.

I’ve just read enough review to be totally confused now. One bit did catch my attention when the guy said riding one of the twins was a bit like being on his dirt bike because it felt light and he could flick it around. That is exactly the feeling I’m looking for.[/quote]

I’m sure the bike will be quite “flickable”…heck, first thing I said to MJB when I saw it was it looks like a newwer RZR. In the sense that it’s not much bigger than a 150cc bike.

Found it. The guy was talking about the SV but it must be a similar feeling on the Ninja.

[quote]
Although I have plenty of experience on street bikes, I am still most comfortable in the dirt. The SV650 is one of the few street bikes (short of a dual sport) that I feel I can toss around like a dirt bike. The SV does exactly what I want it to do . . . no matter how aggressively I ride it.[/quote]

If the 650R is really ahead of the SV650 then I think you’ll love it. One of my all-time favorites. So many smiles per gallon. :smiley: