Bike Repairs

I am beyond irritated. I just had to fix my bike for the second time this week because the tires broke and they changed the inside of the tires. I spent 200 NT on July 30 and 200 NT today. What is up with that?! Is this going to happen every week? My bike is my only transportation mechanism. For the places where I could walk if I walked for 30 minutes, I don’t feel like walking there because it’s too hot. My dog and I wanted to go to Taipei at the end of this month to have some fun but if I have to waste any more money on my bike, we are NOT going.

You have to change both tubes inner and outer.

There is a band going around the rim covering the spokes also. You should change that one, too.

Anyhow, there are a lot of low quality tires on the market, even for a high price like 1200NT$ and more.
They only last for about 3-5000 km.

Sometimes, there is a tiny piece of iron that came from an old car or truck tire ingrained into your outer layer.

Thanks. I didn’t change the outer tubes, I’m not a millionaire hehe.

Might get more responses and help if we moved this thread over to the cycling forum.

However, 1000-1200 tires are considered pretty cheap. When a set of tires can cost as much as 20,000NTD and more.

What kind of bike do you have? I assume it’s just a commuter bike to get you from point A to point B? 1000-1200NT tires seems like too much for a commuter bike.

Look for the problem, then for the solution.

How did you know your dog wanted to go to Taipei?

1 Like

I think we should all chip in so the dog can get to Taipei. I hate to think the price of an inner tube is stopping laifu from chowing down in Taipei’s most salubrious doggie restaurant.

1 Like

Which tires are you talking about dude?

You pay too much for inner tubes and stuff. A lot of those shops overcharge them.

I found a few Yahoo sellers selling inner tubes for about 80nt, tires about 150. If it’s a commuter bike these will do nicely.

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auctio … 6298833663

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auctio … 6298833663

(by the way I am assuming that you have 26" tires with 1.75" width… if it’s something else please adjust accordingly)

You should learn bike repair. It’s not hard and a lot of things can be done with simple tools. Bike shops charge a LOT for any services and parts.

my tires cost 80 USD each. I replace them once every two years. I ride at least 2000 km per year.

What’s your problem? your tubes cost 500-1000 NTD per month? That’s not even equivalent.

Actually, you’re perhaps doing something wrong. Are you pumping your tires up before you ride? are you not cleaning the pointy dirt off them afterwards?

if your tire is worn your inner tube will leak all the time. replace the tire too

I still want to know which tyres cost 20,000. :smiley:

wiggle.com/schwalbe-ultremo-ht-tubular-tire/

Hello everyone! I got an old bike from my boss and it’s super rusty. The handle bar is also not well aligned and I think the tires aren’t in good shape. How much would it cost me to have the bike overhauled?

NTD7,342 approximately

There’s this thing called a camera in your phone…

1 Like

Watch some YouTube videos. Buy some tools. Purchase replacement parts at your local bike store. 4 day long weekend coming up. Good luck out there. Bike wrenchers don’t want to mess with your rusty hand-me-down unless they are able to charge you up the wazoo for the experience.

Oh sorry about that. Attaching pictures slipped my mind.

Though if the repair is even close to the amount that you’ve quoted, I might as well buy a new electric bike. I think that would be more practical.

Thanks for the heads up. That’s why I’m a bit hesitant to just head straight to a bike shop. Aside from that, I’m afraid that they might laugh at me after seeing the condition of my bike hahaha is it still worth saving?

Actually that’s not too bad. But the chain and the gears are very rusty. You’ll need to find a very local bike shop, one that doesn’t sell pro bikes.

1 Like

This is your new old bike. Spend 11 minutes watching and decide if doing it yourself or having someone else do it would be worth the time/money. Like the_bear said, it aint bad bad, but it aint great either.