Bike Shops in Taipei

[quote=“ranlee”]

Nangang Store
Address: Nangang Road Section 1 No 289-2 (台北市南港區南港路一段289-2號)

I visited this store last night after noticing it on my scooter ride to drop off my girlfriend last week. Here’s what I saw and learned.

I was immediately approached by an employee within 20secs when walking into the store. Tall, skinny, glasses, I thought he was just a part time high school/uni worker there to help out. I was wrong. He dropped knowledge like no one else I’ve met in the Giant stores. Almost didn’t understand 70% of what he was saying. My Mandarin comprehension is high, but the knowledge he was dropping was waaaay too technical for me. The store itself is not too small and also has a B1 level for fittings and the ride-right system.

One thing I noticed that this store had that not many other Giant stores had were non-Giant bikes. I didn’t get a too close of a look at them, but it could’ve been customer bikes that came in for a tune-up, so don’t get too excited.

One new piece of info I found out here was that every Giant store has their own way of discounting your bike and services! This store gives you a 15% discount and gifts you accessories (water bottle, water rack, bag, front/back lights) If it’s a new bike, they said they would do a cleaning of certain parts (if I can remember correctly I think they said something about the handle bar and spokes. Don’t hold it against me though!)

Another new thing I learned, no Giant warehouses in Taipei, everything is stored in TaiZhong, so if they do not have your bike/size, they have to ship it up. This store gets shipments every Wednesday and Saturday. Lesson learned, call in advance before buying! Make sure they have your bike/size.[/quote]

Thanks, ranlee, for this goldmine of info on Giant stores!

My last bike was a steel-framed LeMond Alpe d’Huez road bike I used in the States for training and triathlons.

Seeing what a great deal Giants are here (25-35% cheaper than in the US), I started looking for a ride. On my hotlist are:

Giant Defy 3 22,800 (Sora)
Giant Defy Advanced 2-E 49,800 (105)
Giant Trinity Composite 2 62,800

Earlier tonight, I dropped by the Nangang store and was greeted right away by that same tall, skinny bike-geek. In the basement, I saw a Defy 3, a 2016 Defy Advanced 2-E, and a very nice TCR Advanced 1 KOM (Ultegra), but he said they would have to order the Trinity. I’m not as crazy about that bike since the discount vs US prices is much skimpier, but it is configured for triathlons so I wouldn’t need to buy and fit aero-bars. I asked if they had the green 2015 Defy Advanced 2, and they did - he told me that it was basically the same bike as the 2016 but it had a smaller gears in the back for more power. I also asked him about fittings and he said they can do it (I’m expecting really basic stuff).

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your post - at least I know what discounts are possible at this branch. I will also certainly check out that Donghu branch to see if I can get a chance to sit on a Defy to make sure it fits my body shape. Will post later.

[quote=“kfmfe04”][quote=“ranlee”]

Nangang Store

I visited this store last night after noticing it on my scooter ride to drop off my girlfriend last week. Here’s what I saw and learned.

I was immediately approached by an employee within 20secs when walking into the store. Tall, skinny, glasses, I thought he was just a part time high school/uni worker there to help out. I was wrong. He dropped knowledge like no one else I’ve met in the Giant stores. Almost didn’t understand 70% of what he was saying. My Mandarin comprehension is high, but the knowledge he was dropping was waaaay too technical for me. The store itself is not too small and also has a B1 level for fittings and the ride-right system.

One thing I noticed that this store had that not many other Giant stores had were non-Giant bikes. I didn’t get a too close of a look at them, but it could’ve been customer bikes that came in for a tune-up, so don’t get too excited.

One new piece of info I found out here was that every Giant store has their own way of discounting your bike and services! This store gives you a 15% discount and gifts you accessories (water bottle, water rack, bag, front/back lights) If it’s a new bike, they said they would do a cleaning of certain parts (if I can remember correctly I think they said something about the handle bar and spokes. Don’t hold it against me though!)

Another new thing I learned, no Giant warehouses in Taipei, everything is stored in TaiZhong, so if they do not have your bike/size, they have to ship it up. This store gets shipments every Wednesday and Saturday. Lesson learned, call in advance before buying! Make sure they have your bike/size.[/quote]

My last bike was a steel-framed LeMond Alpe d’Huez road bike I used in the States for training and triathlons.

Seeing what a great deal Giants are here (25-35% cheaper than in the US), I started looking for a ride. On my hotlist are:

Earlier tonight, I dropped by the Nangang store and was greeted right away by that same tall, skinny bike-geek. In the basement, I saw a Defy 3, a 2016 Defy Advanced 2-E, and a very nice TCR Advanced 1 KOM (Ultegra), but he said they would have to order the Trinity. I’m not as crazy about that bike since the discount vs US prices is much skimpier, but it is configured for triathlons so I wouldn’t need to buy and fit aero-bars. I asked if they had the green 2015 Defy Advanced 2, and they did - he told me that it was basically the same bike as the 2016 but it had a smaller gears in the back for more power. I also asked him about fittings and he said they can do it (I’m expecting really basic stuff).

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your post - at least I know what discounts are possible at this branch. I will also certainly check out that Donghu branch to see if I can get a chance to sit on a Defy to make sure it fits my body shape. Will post later.[/quote]

The Donghu Branch owner is out of town (today) and maybe even tomorrow. He participated in the company race up to Wuling today. Probably expect him back by Thursday. If you need someone to translate, feel free to drop me a PM, I’ll be more than happy to help out.

I will tell you now, any new 2016 TCR model from the 105 group set and up will have a waiting list. I hear anything from 3 weeks to 3 months. If you see it in your size in the store, I would reserve it immediately.

On ranlee’s suggestion, I checked out 7 park for TT bikes. The first time I visited them, I was looking at Ceepo’s and got a warm, friendly treatment from the owners.

Today, I visited their shop for the 2nd time, to check out their discounted Argon-18 E-80 http://www.7park.com.tw/showroom/view.php?C=30122418. I inspected the bike closely and noticed that the front tire (treads were bald from braking and somewhat dirty) and the seat looked worn. When I looked even closer at the front rim, I saw many nicks and scratches - enough that there is no way someone would take that bike for new. I asked them several times and they wouldn’t give me a straight response - they told me that customers sometimes run them on trainers inside - well, that wouldn’t cause front tire wear or nicks in the rim, would it? When I started asking them about swapping out parts and paying the difference, the owner came by and tells me, “you don’t really want that bike anyways - take a look at the new E-112 models for this year.” What a run-around!

This is totally speculative, but I suspect that someone invoked the consumer protection law and returned that bike before the 7-day period was up. The store owner probably declined saying that the bike has been used and he could not sell it. Somehow, they reached a compromise for the shop to take it back for something less than NT39,800. Now, that E-80 is heavily discounted from NT59,800 down to NT39,800, probably a bit higher than what the shop took it back for.

They tell me the reason is, it was last year’s model. My guess could be wrong, but had they honestly told me the history of that bike, I might actually buy that E-80, or accept their honesty and buy some other bike from the shop. Instead, I’m not sure I trust this bike shop any more - I may just play it safe and buy a Giant instead.

Anyhow, I’m just throwing this story out there so people carefully inspect their purchases before putting down cash. Like with everything, buyer beware.

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I’m asking this in the right spot but…

I recently moved to Taipei and would like to get into cycling here. I joined a mountain biking group in Colombia and really loved it, but looking around it seems that road cycling is more popular here…and I’m not sure if there are a lot of mountain trails to bike around here.

Can anyone direct me to the right thread, or give me advice on this? I’m wondering if I should just invest in a road bike/is it easy to find a group to ride with? (I am new to road biking) And, if so, which shop would be the best one to go to…and probably would be patient with a newbie like me.

Thanks a lot - I appreciate any type of advice!

Hi SufrirEnTaiwan,

there are lots of people riding… road here :slight_smile:

Search for a thread titled “unofficial forumosa cycling club” or something of the kind. Some forumosans ride together on a weekly basis (I don’t for I don’t want to wake up so early :frowning: ).

mtb here is not very doable. I used to ride it back home but here… meh :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi viajarataiwan,

Just wait for Ranlee to reply. He’ll help you out :wink:

But just to get you started:

• I think MTB is possible, but the tracks here are hard to find, mostly downhill and - as I understand - quite difficult.
  • If you’re starting on a roadbike it’s probably easiest to stay with the larger brands… Ranlee is going to give you a huge list of Giant shops to check out (also see higher up in this thread). If you’re looking for reference material, the Merida Flagship store in Neihu is also pretty good for a beginner (and has a huge selection of bikes). They have helped me get started and I was satisfied. For a large part because they were the only shop in Taipei that managed to find a bike in my size :smiley:
  • As Jesus already mentioned, plenty of groups riding around here in Taipei. The most accessible option, being new to Taipei, is probably the Line group that Jesus is also mentioning. Details through Ranlee or [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/unofficial-forumosa-cycling-club-2015-taipei-new-taipei/85642/1 :wink: But there are many more if you look hard enough :slight_smile:

[quote=“Jurriaan”]Hi viajarataiwan,

Just wait for Ranlee to reply. He’ll help you out :wink:

But just to get you started:

• I think MTB is possible, but the tracks here are hard to find, mostly downhill and - as I understand - quite difficult.
  • If you’re starting on a roadbike it’s probably easiest to stay with the larger brands… Ranlee is going to give you a huge list of Giant shops to check out (also see higher up in this thread). If you’re looking for reference material, the Merida Flagship store in Neihu is also pretty good for a beginner (and has a huge selection of bikes). They have helped me get started and I was satisfied. For a large part because they were the only shop in Taipei that managed to find a bike in my size :smiley:
  • As Jesus already mentioned, plenty of groups riding around here in Taipei. The most accessible option, being new to Taipei, is probably the Line group that Jesus is also mentioning. Details through Ranlee :wink: But there are many more if you look hard enough :slight_smile:[/quote]

I ear was twitching, I think I heard my name.

Anyone go mountain biking with the group at Alan’s Mountain Bike Shop? How tough are their rides?
I’m thinking about renting a fatbike or 27.5 hardtail with them and try once or twice.

If it’s a lot of fun, maybe buy a cheapo mtb or fatbike early next year…

[quote=“kfmfe04”]Anyone go mountain biking with the group at Alan’s Mountain Bike Shop? How tough are their rides?
I’m thinking about renting a fatbike or 27.5 hardtail with them and try once or twice.

If it’s a lot of fun, maybe buy a cheapo mtb or fatbike early next year…[/quote]

Ask the LINE group. Rex will tell you everything you need to know.

What’s the name of the LINE group?

What’s the name of the LINE group?[/quote]

I had no idea I hadn’t invited you yet. Check your LINE.

[quote=“kfmfe04”][quote=“ranlee”]

Nangang Store

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your post - at least I know what discounts are possible at this branch. I will also certainly check out that Donghu branch to see if I can get a chance to sit on a Defy to make sure it fits my body shape. Will post later.[/quote]

So what did you eventually buy, and at what price?

Hey all, new here :slight_smile:

This interests me as well actually, since I’m looking at buying a road bike for endurance riding. Stuck between Velocite, the Giant defy, or something completely different, even used!

I’ve been wandering around Taichung looking at road bikes, but haven’t found anything I’m too interested in yet.

[quote=“Rejor11”]Hey all, new here :slight_smile:

This interests me as well actually, since I’m looking at buying a road bike for endurance riding. Stuck between Velocite, the Giant defy, or something completely different, even used!

I’ve been wandering around Taichung looking at road bikes, but haven’t found anything I’m too interested in yet.[/quote]

Hi Rejor11, what’s your budget? May I suggest you a brand for “something completely different”.

Yeah, I’m thinking around 40,000 at the most, but a couple things back in the States that I own will sell soon, so I might bump that up to 50,000NTD

Weird… I think I’ve been to that shop… years ago. A two floors one. In a major street like Nanjing or some shit like that.

You sure it was on this planet? At least on this planet, New York doesn’t have a street named Nanjing :laughing:

You’re describing the Taipei store, which is the namesake of this thread, opened late 2017 and is on Yanji Street close to Renai.

Ok… isn’t there a two story shop that probably has like a coffee shop in the first floor (not 100% sure), has clothes and other merchandising , and maybe some old fashionable bicycles? In one of the “horizontal” roads like Nanjing or Minquan or Minzhu?

MAYBE this is the one, but still google mapping it…