Bike Shops in Taipei

That’s right, I picked up my TCR today!

Where are big shops for random accessory shopping for different kinds of bikes?

It’s a small shop, but packs a lot of what you need into the given space the have.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but anyway, can you recommend any bike shop for buying a fixie? Preferably within the Zhongshan area in Taipei.

The guys over at Taipei Bike Works can help you put something together.

https://www.facebook.com/TaipeiBikeWorks

There’s a shop that specializes in fixies, it’s a bit further in Yong He.

https://www.facebook.com/FAITHGEAR/

2 Likes

New bike shop alert!

Le Vélo Club 1896
台北市信義區忠孝東路四段553巷46弄2號
No. 2, Alley 46, Lane 553, Section 4, Zhongxiao E Rd, Xinyi District, Taipei City, 110

Mostly a place to grab a coffee after a ride, but the owner is also a mechanic and will be doing bike maintenance. Has some experience as a semi-pro some years back and shifted to a mechanic. His English level is intermediate.

Soft opening tomorrow, so still not too much info. Will update as soon as I can!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m looking for a bike shop somewhere within Taipei itself, though if it’s really good could go to New TP too. What I’m after is a down-to-earth independent shop that just sells reasonably priced bikes and does solid maintenance. So, not interested in the expensive “lifestyle” oriented ones for the yupster crowd. I realize these kind of places are increasingly hard to find all over the world, and probably especially in TP, so it’s a long shot but you never know.

Worth giving @ttwan a visit

Otherwise, it’s just worth taking a look for yourself because everyone’s criteria can be a bit different. Expensive shops can also have some pretty cool and down to earth employees too!

1 Like

Thanks. I did send @ttwan an email earlier today via his webshop page.

I’m sure there are nice people working in those upmarket places but the prices and selection is something I’m not interested in. I will try a few shops later today (Giant - Merida - Velo - Spring Bike Tima) which are sort of in ubike distance from my place, but would still appreciate if anybody could mention some shops selling second hand bikes or refurb/custom ones with reasonable prices.

Spring Bike is good. I went there to regear my bike on account of Taipei Bike Works is too far from me.

1 Like

I went on a little tour of these aforementioned shops but, predictably, it was a waste of time. They’re all either boutique and/or upmarket places, or dealerships which sell only new bikes.

So, the search for “people’s bike shop” continues.

Try Alan’s bike shop in Gongguan. He used to be a Giant dealer but is now an independent shop. Last time I went there were half a dozen secondhand bikes for sale in front of his shop. A down-to-earth guy who’s also a good bike mechanic. It’s right on Roosevelt about 100 meters south of the traffic circle.

2 Likes

The last tip from Incubus sounded like a really good shout, but I’ve failed to find this particular shop (or at least think I did, as I did look at a few in this neighborhood). Thought about asking about more directions, but eventually gave up and bought a brand new Giant Escape 3 from an official dealer (8800 NTD).

It’s the same bike I had previously in TW, nice little runabout, the gear on it is a bit plasticky but that’s ok for this price. I’d still prefer to do this the secondhand way, and I’m pretty sure it is possible, but with my very limited Chinese rather difficult. One could try the ads online and/or the local hole in the wall type bike shops, but beter communication skills than mine are required for this kind of operation.

I should’ve warned you that Alan’s shop is tucked in the back of a storefront. Well, it’s just as well you got the Escape. It’s a nice all around bike. I hope the dealer is near where you live so you can get the bike serviced whenever you need it.

1 Like

Popular bike. I just saw now white one at Giant Dealer $8500. I guess prices are not locked in stone. Or maybe different year or something.

I suppose they do have some leeway on price, though official dealers perhaps less so. Maybe the colour matters too.
The boutique shops were offering me a similar Merida model for 10800, with insta discount to 9800. I got the same spiel in 2 completely different shops, which was kinda funny.