Black Hole Sun : Annular Solar Eclipse June 21st visible Southern Taiwan - max 4:13pm

Can’t believe I’m only learning about this now.

https://chinapost.nownews.com/20200615-1385328?fbclid=IwAR3mkxPEgrIvyHIIoXwjAh87rViMJnyVl8IME-KKbaVCS_8AUZVWcDd3EFg

Important : don’t look at the sun without the appropriate solar viewers , or you can use other tools as mentioned to see a projection .

4 Likes

Just happens to be a certain bear’s birthday…

1 Like

MSP104110ddb79a0afbig28000030h1g9d807c757i4

6 Likes

Huh. Also surprised I didn’t hear earlier. But if I’m reading these articles right, it’s not a total eclipse, but rather “annular” because the moon will be far out in its orbit and won’t completely block the sun. (“Annular eclipse” is probably one of those vocabulary words I knew when I was ten years old, but have long since forgotten - like all those dinosaur names.)

I have no idea for how cool or uncool that makes it. In Chiayi, there will be “97.61% obscuration”, which is one of those numbers that seems high at first, but I suspect is still actually quite bright.

Looks we’ll get something in Taipei too? Not the ring of fire (I will never not chortle when seeing that phrase), but still a big chunk blocked.

And WTF China Post: “visible from many of the southern counties, including Taiwan”?!

2 Likes

Yeah I just looked up annular eclipse, it still looks pretty cool.

1 Like

Let’s score some mushies and trip out on Dark Side of the Moon.

1 Like
⚠️ People don't look into the sun without proper eye protection!

3 Likes

For those who remember the partial solar eclipse in Taipei of about 10 years ago (to be precise, July 22, 2009): in Taipei this upcoming one seems to be significantly more of an eclipse (even if not as impressive as in the south), but I again, I suspect it’ll still be plenty bright!

I remember taking a university summer class outside for the 2009 one. It was partially cloudy; if we hadn’t known it was happening, I don’t think we’d have noticed the difference.

1 Like

多喝水

4 Likes

This may be more suitable:

3 Likes

Ah yes. Bonnie the big brassy boozer.

2 Likes

Great excuse to post this video.

4 Likes

It is going to be quite cool.

From Twitter Spectral Codex

3 Likes

Probably still quite hot. I don’t think an eclipse causes a lowering of the temperature.

I was planning to go there to check it, but it looks like the we won’t be able to see anything…

i wouldn’t be relying on a 6 day forecast here. Check Sunday morning, and then head up/down if it looks slightly promising.

If not too overcast, the process of alignment can push away what cloud is there.

4 Likes

Wait, what?

1 Like

I once had a long talk with a ‘Mr Eclipse’, seemed a rather capable chap. He insisted that during alignment, as less of the sun’s radiation reached the earth’s atmosphere, there was a tendency for a reduction in cloud formation.

This was 4 days before a total eclipse, and every day had scattered morning cloud. Come the morning of the event, that cloud just ‘vamooshed’ …

Probably just a coincidence :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Basically a 3 to 5 hour process.

Maybe some breaks in any clouds, rain, air pollution during those few hours.

I heard there’s a Nazi base there