Black Hole Sun : Annular Solar Eclipse June 21st visible Southern Taiwan - max 4:13pm

I just bought my train ticket. Now my task is to find eclipse viewing glasses. Does anyone have any idea where to pick some up? I see links to Amazon in some of the eclipse articles but the glasses would never get here in time.

3 Likes

Try Shopee. My wife ordered from there.

3 Likes

I found this one:
https://shopee.tw/現貨-限台北市自取-臺灣日環食眼鏡.日偏食觀測眼鏡-日蝕眼鏡-日食眼鏡-3D眼鏡-凝日眼鏡-太陽濾鏡.-i.2879998.401287686

1 Like

Trying to register for Shopee is as frustrating as I expected. I provide my cell phone number to get a call with the code (Why isn’t it a text message? Who knows?). Then a screen comes up to enter the code. You have a 60 second time limit. I’ve tried 3 times now, and every time the call comes after the 60 second time limit. I’ve tried entering the code anyway, but it always says it’s not valid.

So typical

3 Likes

Thanks, but the shipping cost is $1,000?

EDIT: Found another seller with $60 shipping. I finally was able to register my account at Shopee using Line. The phone thing never did work.

Nerd factor : intense :grin:

Got my two solar viewers already, got the wife to pick them up off a seller in town.

Nerd bonus : it’s impossible to take a selfie with one of these on

Am now looking into train tickets for Chiayi, I could be a little late I guess. The maximum goes right through the center of Chiayi city at 4.13pm. Best place if the weather is good are probably some towns to the West of Chiayi city or the coast (see the maps above). There are free buses going to some of these towns.

Edit - Puyuma are sold out, other ziqiang are available to book . I will drive down anyway. Gaotie is also an option.

4 Likes

Could be very dangerous if fake

Mine probably aren’t fake since I’m practically blind with them on. Can test by looking at a bright light first.

You get scammed? You better make sure you can see at all with those things on. I’m sure they will protect your eyes from an eclipse though.

Here’s how to test:

3 Likes

I’ll be in Chiayi. Best spots will be elevated areas or high in building, not necessarily farther west to the coast, but still ok. And then catch sunset around 645pm.

We have reservations on a hotel rooftop in chiayi city. Beer wine snacks air conditioning toilets…

A really good spot would be on the mountains facing west near Guanzhiling. There are some temples and little rest areas and tourist spots along the roads.

4 Likes

Here’s a good article. They rightly point out that finding a break in the clouds, if there are some, is the best spot of all. BrianJones will be Mr Beaning around Chiayi or other counties if necessary and reporting the action on the spot.

2 Likes

Ha right.

Currently showing Chiayi at 40% chance of rain that day but really no way to know right now.

Trying to figure out a good way to photograph it or make an iPhone Timelapse of the eclipse.

I have a 24-70 lens but they say it’s better to have 500-1000 if you want to fill the image more. So possibly looking into a canon 400mm + 2X extender.

For the phone, I’ve seen some interesting lenses you can put on the iPhone, maybe it will help with the zoom, just enough for simple timelapse.

What’s the best camera store in Taipei?

2 Likes

I don’t know best camera store, but head to camera store street and start shopping.

Camera street taipei
https://goo.gl/maps/GUaHank8b6SQ3muh9

4 Likes

(Off topic, but while you’re camera shopping pop into nearby Heritage Bakery for delicious coffee and hard-to-find desserts like carrot cake)

5 Likes

Awesome, will check out that camera street and grab a carrot cake after. :ok_hand:

Alishan park is giving out free observation glasses and has several platforms for viewing.

3 Likes

This is the one we use at work. Explain the kind of pictures you take and they will suggest accordingly.

永勝照相器材有限公司
No. 20號, Bo’ai Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100
02 2314 0606
https://maps.app.goo.gl/89tNuxr9PrR5EttJ9

1 Like

I’m planning to go to north of Taidong to watch it. The only thing worries me is the hot weather… :hot_face:
I also plan to do a time lapse with my Samsung S9+.

Does anyone can give me some tips on how to better capture the event on a mobile phone?