Black Hole Sun : Annular Solar Eclipse June 21st visible Southern Taiwan - max 4:13pm

Alishan Park is like the worst place to view anything including sunrise or sunsets.

What are these “platforms”? Maybe someplace outside the park down the road, around the corners, with western views.

Nearly impossible to look west from Alishan park. They will see up, but not westerly.

Samsung 9+ has great camera. Wish I was more proficient with it. Maybe use Pro mode and adjust the settings.

1 Like

Where can i walk into and buy some glasses? :praying:

You can try to make one yourself:

Yeah, I really like it. Especially because it has several modes, including hyperlapse (time lapse mode).
But I’m not a good photographer, so I’m afraid I’ll be waisting its potential as I don’t know how to better adjust the settings…

Wife bought them on shopee and it was some guys house in Taipei city that had a queue of geeks going in to collect them :grin:I can ask her for the seller.

1 Like

I heard of one place near Huashan and going there later. Also heard that telescope stores might have special glasses.

Can call him . These aren’t iso or anything . So do your own quality check . To me they seemed fairly legit.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Found glasses nt$100 each.

Telescope shop near Huashan.

3 Likes

what about welding goggles? will those work?

According to the NASA total eclipse website, a shade 12 or higher welding lens are the only lens adequate for viewing the eclipse.

According to https://www.whitehouse.gov/people/donald-j-trump/, no eye protection needed.

3 Likes

Received my glasses from Shopee today. They’re the real deal. Thanks again to @slawa and @RickRoll . Now just need to pray for clear weather.

According to the American Astronomical Society (AAS), a real and safe pair of solar eclipse glasses should be labeled with ISO 12312-2 (sometimes written in more detail as ISO 12312-2:2015), which is an international safety standard that denotes the glasses reduce visible sunlight to safe levels and block UV and IR radiation.

specs

6 Likes

Not sure printing that says real means they’re actually real.

4 Likes

I performed the alternate tests and they passed. Gotta trust somewhere.

1 Like

Did anyone select their viewing spots in Chiayi?

The rooftop bar I was planning is fully booked. There is one other I’m checking. Also checking a couple restaurants on hilltops.

I’ll probably be on a hill somewhere away from city central. Maybe near the lakes or near Guanziling on the hillside facing west and will carry snacks and drinks for the long haul.

1 Like

Did anyone select their viewing spots in Chiayi?

6 Likes

2 Likes

I’ll be out geocaching both days (I arrive in Chiayi on Saturday morning) so I’ll be scootering around looking for a good spot.