Bliss on Xinyi Road (closed)

If you come to HK, all drinks are on me. By the way, what about Wednesday’s game against Argentina at 3am. Are you open ?

HA!!! Would love to come to HKG and get all beers free… The Bridge Bar, right? forgot the street but remember you are open 24/7…do you show the games…? Besides the TV, we’ve got 2 big screens downstairs and 1 upstairs… there’s no escape…

Of course I’m open for HOL-ARG…watch practically every game myself…got satellite…show all games.

When U back TPE?

2 big screens & a TV downstairs, a big screen upstairs
Satellite & Cable to show both games at the same time

Open for all games…

BLISS 148 HsinYi Rd (sec4) 27021855
(from DunHua intersection, 100 meters towards TPE101 on the right of HsinYi)

A great place to watch the games!

Although I did everything BUT watch the games… :s

Might try Bliss to watch some of the World Cup.

Few questions…

Any entrance fee? minimum charge? seating arrangement?

Thanks

[quote=“Nonsequitur”]A great place to watch the games!

Although I did everything BUT watch the games… :s[/quote]

Oh My… was that you…?

Just kidding…what did you do besides watching the games…? Did I miss s’thing again…?!

[quote=“frokky”]Might try Bliss to watch some of the World Cup.

Few questions…

Any entrance fee? minimum charge? seating arrangement?

Thanks[/quote]

Be welcome to come watch in BLISS…!!!

No entrance fee… we’re not a museum; we’re a bar…you pay for your drinks and food…that’s it…

Minimum charge…? YES!!! We have to pay rent and light and crew and stuff… with some respect there is a minimum order of 1 drink… :bravo:

Seating? Well… here we go:

Upstairs has 1 big screen and it normally has 3 rows of sofa’s (24 pax) and tables/chairs for another 16 pax or so and standing area for another say 40 pax… that would be the max…
When Brasil plays the 2nd floor is entirely for the BRA party (man, do they party…)

Downstairs we have the ‘lounge’ area in the back which hold 20 pax comfortably for 1 big screen… then the bar and darts area which has a tv to the right and a big screen to the left… bar seats 10+…sofa and stools for max 10 pax) … rest is standing around…

Hope you get the picture… (it’s late and it has been quite a night…)

Think we (HOL) did well tonight …

[quote]Oh My… was that you…?

Just kidding…what did you do besides watching the games…? Did I miss s’thing again…?![/quote]

I left an unfinished bottle of Tequila in your care…

[quote=“Nonsequitur”]
I left an unfinished bottle of Tequila in your care…[/quote]

Gotcha…! It’s got the name PARADISE on it and it’s half full…!!!

Last time you came you didn’t touch it… and you were indeed pre-occupied…
:notworthy:

I’ll be in sometime over the weekend to finish off that bottle… I believe that was my second bottle of Tequila. :wink:

Oh, and… VIVA BRASIL!! A COPA E’ NOSSA!!

[quote=“Nonsequitur”]I’ll be in sometime over the weekend to finish off that bottle… I believe that was my second bottle of Tequila. :wink:

Oh, and… VIVA BRASIL!! A COPA E’ NOSSA!![/quote]

Don’t be too sure… (however I’m sure you can kill that bottle…)

I went to bliss tonight to see Argentina - Germany.

The seating arrangement is, on every couch or group of tables there is one guy who tells you its all reserved. There’s also another table downstairs that the management helpfully also says is reserved.

But wait, it gets better. After standing around the front TV for an hour watching TV, at 11PM they switch the TV to a blue screen. The owner is like, who cares, too bad, we have 3 other TVs. Thanks for telling us an hour ago. Now that not only are all the seats reserved on the other TVs and all the standing room is also now that everyone has packed in.

I poured my beer on the floor and left. I won’t be back there again except maybe to drink a glass of water and piss it on their floor.

What kind of guy leaves a TV not working for the biggest game of the world cup quarterfinals? And not even bother to tell people? Really, this is beyond stupid.

I went to bliss tonight to see Argentina - Germany.

The seating arrangement is, on every couch or group of tables there is one guy who tells you its all reserved. There’s also another table downstairs that the management helpfully also says is reserved.

But wait, it gets better. After standing around the front TV for an hour watching TV, at 11PM they switch the TV to a blue screen. The owner is like, who cares, too bad, we have 3 other TVs. Thanks for telling us an hour ago. Now that not only are all the seats reserved on the other TVs and all the standing room is also now that everyone has packed in.

I poured my beer on the floor and left. I won’t be back there again except maybe to drink a glass of water and piss it on their floor.

What kind of guy leaves a TV not working for the biggest game of the world cup quarterfinals? And not even bother to tell people? Really, this is beyond stupid.[/quote]

Well, Well, this certainly needs some attention… …yes we did fuck up indeed… we took reservations till we were booked (unintended mistake… not my policy…crew are corrected…) …you must be one of the persons that came with Andrew and Stefan (whom I consider to be friends so I don’t think they wrote this)… you sat down upstairs on the front right sofa…
I respect and greatly appreciate that you guys chose BLISS to come and watch the game… I also know that we normally do a fantastic job at what we do and many people (including your friends) had a great time watching the games here… in all aspects…
I realize that you must have been very frustrated when I came upstairs first to tell you that those seats were really reserved and second that we probably couldn’t show the match upstairs coz my friendly satellite guy’s back up service couldn’t provide us with the right codes to feed the satellite and we had to switch to local cable tv which we couldn’t show every where… … in the end - well before 2nd half - we had local tv on on all 3 screens and the 1 tv … but of course the damage was already done… we were quite a bit in stress with a full house and no prospect of showing the game the right way…
We’re ok again now with the sat working again … sorry, it was a cock up beyond control … hey, football is one of my passions and the whole screen and satellite thing is new to me… we’re back to live bands and rock 'n roll soon…
Lemmie buy you a beer and an Absinthe shot for what it’s worth if you can promise not to piss it out on the floor…

You sound like a real high class establishment.

Is this meant to be sarcastic?

Actually, Bliss is one of the better places to go in Taipei. I’ve been there a couple of times and had a good time.

As far as the incident above goes, I’ve had way more depressing incidents with satellite feeds than that in Taipei and at least the guy has apologised and explained the situation.

:smiley:

www.blisstaipei.com has an update on live music and events (finally after a long long time…)

Every other Wed - Live Ska/Reggae or Rock 'n Roll (really)

Last Thu - Comedy - win 1000nt!
Other Thu’s - Ray Anthony on guitar “Just Us”
(Wed&Thu - Absinthe shots 100nt)

Fri 1, 15 & 29 – CrossRoads – Rock, Pop, Blues, Rock ‘n Roll covers from the 60’s to not now… The best cover band on the Island…

Fri 22 – Hypnosis Show ‘Walking Dreams’ featuring Brian David Phillips briandavidphillips.com

Every Sat – 6-9pm – Jazz Jam with Lenny & Friends
Every Saturday… play along or sit in and enjoy… what better to do with your early Sat evening than to relax with some great Jazz tunes and Jazz lovers and Jazz musicians in a no worry atmosphere…
Remember most of all drinks are 90nt only until 8pm…

Sat 9 - TBA
Sat 16 – BoPoMoFo – Original Chicago Blues
Sat 23 – Milk – Great party band all the way
Sat 30 – Pan Africana Drums – many different African drums played in colorful costumes – feel the beat of deep dark Africa

Live Music:

Wed 22 - CrossRoads (rehearsel session) - 22:00 hrs - no cover

Fri 24 – Black Sheep - 22:00 hrs – cover 100nt

Sat 25 - Secondary Citizen & SkyBurial - 22:00hrs - cover 200nt

Wed 29 - CrossRoads (rehearsel session) - 22:00 hrs - no cover
Fri 01 - T.B.A. - 22:00 hrs - cover 100nt

Sat 02 - BoPoMoFo - 22:00hrs - cover 200nt

Sun 03 - Reggae for a Cause - 19:00-21:00 hrs - cover 100nt
Join DJ Dust to listen to his selection of original Jamaican Reggae by artists like Bob, Peter, Bunny, Burning Spear, Buju…you know the names… (the 2nd floor will be strictly non-smoking)
All the proceeds will be donated to the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund.

Wed 06 - CrossRoads (rehearsel session) - 22:00 hrs - no cover

Fri 08 - Tourists - 22:00 hrs - cover 100nt

Sat 09 - Minstral & SkyBurial - 22:00hrs - cover 200nt

Wed 13 – CrossRoads (rehearsal session) – 22:00 hrs - no cover

Fri 15 - Propaganda - 22:00hrs - cover 200nt
Propaganda have a sound and energy that is distinctly their own. They’re a hard-hitting crew that brings energy and contagious songs that make you want to move.

Propaganda’s members come from various parts of the USA. MCs Rodney and Marcus hail from Los Angeles, while vocalist Ellen and MC Seth represent NYC and the East coast. They skillfully mix conscientious hip-hop with infectious hooks to create dance worthy rhythms. Their goal is to not just bring the music, but to BE the music.
They have been featured in many of Taipei’s underground music venues such as Champagne 3 (July, August 2006), Genesis at The Riverside, The Barrio and The Livingroom. In addition to being a tight unit that rocks the mic, the individual members have performed or been featured in venues such as: The Hyatt Jazz Club, The Red Theater, Triumph Sloggi Party at Plush, Taipei Eye, Barrio, Trench Town Thursdays in Jhongli, Sappho, LUXY and others.
Propaganda prove that underground hip-hop is not only conscientious, but worthy of club play. Their upbeat jams and sick lyricism offer rhythms that will have you nodding your head and waving your hands.

Bands generally play their sets between 22:00-24:00 hrs.

All cover charge goes to the bands…

Every 3rd Wed of the month is Barry’s Berenburg - 20:00 until ?..
Join the Dutch speaking society in Taipei for a drink and a chat
( 1 free Berenburg or Jenever is served to all that like it )

All Fridays are Female Fridays
Free Sangria for ladies only

Every Friday until 23:00 hrs

The entity that is BLISS LIVEHOUSE will close it’s doors on October 30. Barry Smit and wife Sonya will head down to Taidong to soak up the rays and avoid the polluted airways of Taipei. Bliss was the first venue to gaurantee a 100% ticket sales fee for bands which gave it a good name among local bands discontent with little return if any for their labors as a working band in Taiwan. Come on down for a last little while if you can …

Should we as FORUMOSA take over, just like the US government is doing with Wall Street ?
It takes 100 people each paying 10,000 NT…, and get 20,000 NT credit at the bar.
We ask The Tavern (nearby) to run the place against a fair fee (40% of revenue). If not profitable after 1 year, it is closed (again). If it is profitable, money goes to charity.

Thats a bugger to hear… I always loved Barry’s company and i certainly count him as a friend. Wishing you both well with whatever you do in the future.
I have a few memories/stories to tell about LATE nights down at C& L, then Bliss after finishing at that Irish pub. Looking like this at the end of the party>> :astonished:
Evil stuff that Absinthe.
All the best , you crazy diamond!