Bob the builder a great Theologist

I’m going to continue the blasphemy discussion here (even though this thread was supposed to be about a guy called Bob, or something).

My advice:

1. As a general rule, don’t click on clickbait. Life is too short for that.

2. As a general rule, people who write articles using CAPITAL LETTERS for emphasis are not very intelligent and/or are targeting a not very intelligent audience. Even when they tell you the truth, they’re still bad sources.

3. If you want to prove cause and effect, you can’t just point out a correlation, cross your arms, and smugly proclaim victory.

You have two things here. First, you have an example of an effort to change civilization (stop Islamophobia). Then, you have an example of civilization being changed (an Islamophobe gets arrested). Ergo, it seems, one has led to the other, and we all urgently need to vote for anti-Islam politicians because they are the only ones who can save us from this madness.

Is there any substance to this? :ponder:

The first part – some people wanting to stop Islamophobia and being willing to restrict freedom of speech in order to achieve that goal – is not in dispute. How extreme the mainstream versions of it are (or how mainstream the extreme versions of it are) is another question.

As for the second part…

I won’t spend a lot of time pointing out flaw after flaw in the article (that would be easy and boring). The main point is the criminal case, which you can easily find out more about, if you want to look.

Robot translation:

“Using marks [symbols] of unconstitutional organizations” refers to what’s commonly known as the Nazi symbol ban, which is actually a ban on the symbols and propaganda of various organizations, ranging from the original Nazi Party to various Communist parties to ISIL. That law is serious business in Germany. Even crossed-out swastikas were banned until 2007. Your destroy-civilization-through-anti-Islamophobia conspiracy didn’t write that law, and it has no special anti-Islamophobia provisions.

As for the other charge, “cursing denominations, religious communities and belief groups” refers to § 166 of the Criminal Code, the German version of the Austrian blasphemy law we discussed earlier. In both countries, these are simply the modern versions of the ancient/medieval European (Christian) blasphemy laws. Once upon a time these laws only protected Christianity, but now they’re universal, though without any special anti-Islamophobia provisions. As the ancient proverb says, good for the goose, good for the gander. :yin_yang:

Also found in the Wiki article:

• A 2011 study showed an average of 15 blasphemy convictions per year in Germany.

• Over the last few decades, the “center-right” parties have repeatedly been the ones insisting on keeping or even strengthening the blasphemy law (even in the wake of Charlie Hebdo), while the leftish parties have been the ones trying to relax or abolish it.

• There was no equivalent law in East Germany. (Where’s that time machine when we need it? I’ve found a great place for you to vacation while you recover from the horrors of Malaysia! :rainbow:)

• The Netherlands – probably one of your favorite countries to avoid – stopped prosecuting blasphemy in 1968 and abolished it in 2012.

Incidentally, Canada repealed its blasphemy law this past December. Yes, Justin’s Canada! :astonished: I’ll give you a minute to catch your breath. :dizzy:

So, to return to your bullshit clickbait article that’s supposed to prove that leftist parties in western countries are part of the conspiracy to destroy civilization under the cover of anti-Islamophobia…

No, Germany just proved that German law trumps German law, and it was written long ago.

But here’s the real kicker. Note that the article is dated August 22, 2017, 10:50 am. There is no update.

To return to Wikiland…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

sprach … frei = freisprechen 3rd person singular past simple indicative active with direct object between the two halves of the verb = acquitted

:doh: :wall: :roll: :idunno: :whistle:

Okay, I am not a professional German ==> English translator, and neither is the robot, but whatever that actually means, I’m not trembling in fear of this grand conspiracy of yours.

To return briefly to your complaint:

Your point being what, that non-existent laws are destroying civilization? Lots of laws don’t get passed. Lots of old laws don’t get enforced. There are non-binding resolutions (and even theoretical laws with no actual capability of enforcement) that get passed all the time, about all kinds of things. This is what keeps you up at night? :strawberry:

Go ahead, shock us. But please, please, make meaningful contributions to the discussion, not more of that sloppy copy pasta bullcrap.

Thank you and have a pleasant day! :bowing:

1 Like