Born in Taiwan but raised in a different country

I also looked into the OU, how has that been? So far I would say the UOL has been ok. The course content varies in quality between modules, but the way that I look at it is they give you good pointers on the basics that you need to learn and pass, but if you want to do well you need to go out and do a decent amount of independent learning. For me personally, this has been fine, but some people struggle with this style of learning. The biggest issue with it is the shitty admin support, but with that sort of thing I guess YMMV.

In terms of what Taiwan recognises, I have heard some issues with online teaching degrees having visa issues with the MoE, but I have an APRC so that doesn’t bother me. Depending on the company, some might have issues with an online degree, but it doesn’t state that it’s online on the degree certificate, and I wanted a degree that would also be useful if I wanted to return to the UK in the future.

It’s all online, details in the link I posted.

thats 600k ntd a year i look it up

That’s the total price for the degree, not per year.

What kind of grammar in this is?

what do you mean?

She already said English isn’t her first language either, it’s Tagalog. So cut her some slack eh?

I remember I did a little research in this before but I can’t remember what I found. I’ll go through my notes and get back to you.

In the meantime, you can check out degrees in Germany. Any if the public German schools will have no tuition for foreigners and many will also offer degrees taught fully in English

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply. The OU degree is Computing and IT, so a bit different in nature to your Computer Science degree. The OU degree has some optional Computer Science modules, but it’s more varied. For example, it has optional modules in networking, UX design, and IT service management. I personally like the diversity of the modules, but if you’re looking for full on computer science then your degree would be better.

The faculty is actually really helpful and the tutorials have been great. The downside is that the first year, in being “open” to everyone, is really basic, so it doesn’t get that interesting until after a third of the way into the course. But I like it. I’m a bit concerned if it won’t be recognised in Taiwan though.

2 Likes

I did a little digging and found this

https://www.haw-hamburg.de/en/courseofferings/study-courses-in-detail/course/courses/show/information-engineering/Studieninteressierte/

You’ll have to wait until October to apply though and enter next summer

1 Like

Where did she say that?

Here she says it. Main language is Tagalog and since she’s from the Philippines, English would have been second

hey i would love to know that :grin::grin::grin:

When I was studying Mandarin, I had two classmates who were in a similar situation. Taiwanese nationals who were born and raised in Thailand with a decent but not fluent Mandarin. They were both planning to enrol in a degree program at a certain point, but eventually gave up because, as Taiwanese, they would have had to take the admission exam like any other Taiwanese and risked ending up in a crappy university because of a low score. For comparison, us foreigners (especially the HKers/Macanese who love to come here and avoid their own admission exam) are free to go wherever we want.

If money is your concern @angelxiaolong, Taiwan offers relatively cheap tuition and affordable daily expenses. The question is: is a Taiwanese degree worth going through the hassle of the admission? The two people that I mentioned before decided that it wasn’t.

2 Likes

hey yeah its worth it when its your dream degree right? and you dont wanna give up trying to other university because ur aiming for that degree worth it but still u need to try for alot of oppurtunity . and do you think where are they now do you still have contact with them ?

She literally wrote “main language is English”. Come on man. I mean you’re right of course, mother tongue Tagalog, intermediate English.

Wow like that’s not gonna confuse the crap out of people during introductions.

2 Likes

There are a surprising number of such people around. They are “3rd culture kids,” and getting back into the Taiwan system (including the university system) is really hard for them, as they are not considered “international” even though their training and outlook really are international.

Guy

2 Likes

yes indeed so hard for me i didnt even know what kind of taiwanese i am hahahaha

1 Like

Germany is good and as you mention can be free.

Berlin is good city to live and study, here is one Uni
Programs in English • Education • Freie Universität Berlin (fu-berlin.de)

I was in Lithuania, meet some Uni students. Also cheaper and good Uni (Better than the Uni you mentioned in TW)

Study Programmes (vu.lt)

Great looking student residence and lower prices

Baltics/Nordic EU Clean and safe, a street photo here

2 Likes

You’re a 3rd culture kid! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy