Born in Taiwan but raised in a different country

I would definitely consider applying for an English course at a university in a third country (not TW or PH) with your Taiwan passport.

If you apply in Taiwan as a Taiwanese you’ll likely need to pass the same exam locals do, in Chinese.

Distance learning, as others mentioned above is a good idea if you wish to stay in Taiwan. In my opinion, University of London would look better on your résumé than Open University.

1 Like

We haven’t been in touch for a while but I recall that one went to Australia and the other one took a degree in English (language of instruction, not major :sweat_smile:) back in Thailand.

I remember when the CLC posted the list of students with respective nationalities for the new semester I was like… what… why do I have two Taiwanese attending my same class :rofl: :rofl: They got used to being asked that question all the time.

but in anyways i am the one just supporting myself snd i dont have so much money to go different country and also taking their classes so thats why . TW i have oppurtunity since the goverment is there but yeah i am not good at chiense speaking

1 Like

It’s fairly easy to learn and English is widely used in Taiwan. And there are many schools, public and private, where you can study and meet people.

You can make money and language is not a big deal. The main problem is the entrance exam, find how you can circumvent it. Doesn’t matter if you speak Chinese or not if you have to take the exam you’re fucked. Do you have any degrees right now?

If Angelxiaolong is Taiwanese, and if she is not connected to Taiwan’s diplomatic corps through her family, it will be very hard to enter a decent university in Taiwan—full stop.

An alternative is to consider neighbouring countries (perhaps Korea, or Singapore) to see if entering an an international student at a decent university could work. Japan takes heaps of international students too, but that would mean taking time to actually learn Japanese.

Guy

Singapore is very expensive though and the good universities don’t even offer funding (I looked into it before because I had a contact at the psychology department at one of the Singapore universities)

1 Like

I forgot to mention, swedish universities also offer free options. So do Finnish ones. Not entirely sure about Norway and Denmark, but I think they may as well. I know there’s an issue with money to get to the country, but the whole free tuition part might actually make it cheaper to fly and study in Europe (the countries I mentioned). All of these countries have great English speaking ability (I think Germany has the weakest from what I observed, but even Germany has pretty good English with many young people being fluent)

Edit: ah I think Sweden is only free for eu citizens…

Edit 2: I double checked, it looks like Norway and Germany are your best bets.

Can I beg to differ on both? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

thankyou for all your advices i appreciate it :grin:

Need to be fluent in Norwegian for the University of Oslo at least.

Not sure about the lower tier schools or the German schools.

Lots of options here in Taiwan. I did a 1 minute google search and found this