Bourbon whiskey and its renaissance

I want to try the two before deciding to buy volume, maybe one, maybe both? Hmmm, maybe I should ask if they can import 1.75s for us. That would be sweet!

They both sound pretty good. Nothing wrong with 1.75s

Update #2:

After a few more emails, I was informed of the following:

HEAVEN HILL BOURBON WHISKEY will be arriving at the end of April

and these below will be arriving at the end of May or early June

ELIJAH CRAIG 12Y.O. BOURBON WHISKEY0.75L
Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
Evan Williams Cinnamon Reserve Liqueur 0.75L (if you like bourbon whisky liqueur)

Great news!

I’m following up on a couple of other leads atm, when I have some more news I’ll keep ya posted. Sundy is a pretty good place, thanks for the tip (whoever left it)- good prices on Buffalo Trace, Teachers and Blantons. Hengjo also has a good selection, good price on JD Single Barrel and also has 3L (!) Bottle of JD!

Picked up another case of WT, this time from 1997 in 375 bottles. The corks are shot, but once they have been removed the juice is pretty good!

At the moment the best deals in TW bourbon is:

1.75 of Beam White at RT Mart.
750 of Early Times at various places (pretty much half the price of JD just not as smokey, I think it is JD that has not gone through the maple filtering process).
750 of Kentucky Gentleman at various places.
1 Liters of WT 101 for 850 at BaTiaoJiuKu.
700 of 4 Roses at BaTiaoJiuKu.
750 of Makers at BaTiaoJiuKu.

And soon there will be cheap 750 of Heaven Hill 4 Year old at Drinks.com shops.

Dutyfree also has ok prices on JB White and JB Black.

City Super and Breeze are way overpriced IMO.

You can also vatt the above to make novel booze as well.

I really have to get over to BaTiaoJiuKu.

I’ve been subsisting on the Kirkland 7yo Bourbon from Costco (knob Creek apparently). 1L for 600. I’d add that to your list

Oh yeah, that one should be added. I haven’t been to Costco in awhile. Is it in stock right now? I bought it at some point last year, it’s pretty good. It got massacred at a Ktv being mixed with tainted Taiwan draft beer, lol. Tainted Taiwan draft is a real hangover inducer- only get it in bottles!

Kirkland Bourbon is 7 Year old beam product I believe. Much better than the JB White and JB Black available here, and 600 for a liter is a very good price. That would be 450 for a 750ml which puts is squarely in the lower priced bourbon in Taiwan, while having about twice the age.

Cheers!

Was last month when I was there. I should be back in next day or two.

Actually if you consider the bottle size and the proof it is about ~360 a 750ml when compared to the cheaper 80 proofers on the market (its 103 proof). That would make this the cheapest bourbon available outside of the handles of Beam White at RT mart, but again at almost twice the age.

The Kirkland was not available on my visit to Costco two nights ago :frowning: .

The good news is that I found 2 bottles of Elijah Craig at Jasons. They were 620 and the clerk gave me a free Glencain glass! The corks were both wet so I was concerned that the juice was tainted, but at least the first one is fine, real fine in fact. Drinks is importing more in in June, so you can get some if ya like then.

If anyone is hard up to get some right now, you are welcome to my second bottle.

I like the EJ a lot. Was happy when Drinks had it. Was just in a Jason’s today but didn’t see any.

Any of you guys develop a taste for Kavalan yet? I do like the Soloist ex sherry. I think that one is my fav. Anyone coming over here, please bring me a bottle. I will pay you back :slight_smile:

I quite like the regular one. But too pricey.

Way way way too pricey for 3 year old hooch. Even though the factory is EU spec, the juice should not be above EU priced. The cask strength is pretty great, much better than the 80 proof (which is ok, the green being very fruity).

I’d like to try some older Kavalan whisky, they should have some now that is approaching ten years old or more.

King Car is a cash machine, I am one degree of separation for the owners and let me tell ya, they are a money making bunch!

Yes they intend for their whisky operation to be successful. To get back their 50 mil investment many times over. And they are charging the moon for their stuff. But so long as it sells, right?

Tried this last night

whiskeydetectives.blogspot.tw/20 … urbon.html

His verdict was exactly what I was thinking. I didn’t get too much smoke, but the alcohol was really pronounced. Different barrel probably.

I like Bourbon a lot, but seeing this made me sad…

On the other hand…I did get a bottle of this the last time I was in the US, as well as a bottle of the rum…yum!

newenglanddistilling.com/spi … e-whiskey/

why does it make you sad?

Look at the consolidation of the distillers and brands.

There are also plenty of little guy micro distilleries out there. I have a bit left of a nice “little guy” Rye that I picked up last time I was stateside.

In other news- Heaven Hill, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, Evan Williams 1783, and Elijah Craig are on the shelves at Drinks. I picked up a bottle of EV BIB just now, I hope to put it through its paces this evening.

Unfortunately, the EJ is about 200 nt more expensive than it was before (but still a great deal when compared to Scotch).

Cheers