Bourbon whiskey and its renaissance

Woodford Reserve seen again at Xindian RT Mart today - 888NT. Get in quick.

Damn probably won’t have chance. Highly annoying :slight_smile:

As I suspected, 9 pages of supposed bourbon appreciators and not a single mention of Bookers…Sigh.

whiskeyreviewer.com/2011/05/book … ey-review/

It’s a little pricey at around 1800NT per bottle, but worth every sip.

Cask strength though, so get a taxi even for one glass. 135proof.

Enjoy!

[quote=“MJB”]As I suspected, 9 pages of supposed bourbon appreciators and not a single mention of Bookers…Sigh.

whiskeyreviewer.com/2011/05/book … ey-review/

It’s a little pricey at around 1800NT per bottle, but worth every sip.

Cask strength though, so get a taxi even for one glass. 135proof.

Enjoy![/quote]
Maybe not in this topic, but I am positive I’ve written here about Beam’s top of the line whiskey, Booker’s. It comes in a cheesy balsa-wood coffin, replete with cheap plastic cover, but damn boy. Never ever doubt that Beam knows Kentucky whiskey.

Take an ounce and a half, add x drops of good water, and produce x starkly different whiskey flavors. Great, great stuff. :thumbsup:

Surely. Their small batch ones are all good. Nothing wrong with Jim Beam either.

Surely. Their small batch ones are all good. Nothing wrong with Jim Beam either.[/quote]

I agree. Jim Beam’s not something I’d buy, but in a bar a Manhattan made with it tastes perfectly good.

I haven’t tried the Booker’s, as it is a bit pricey, but I know it has a good rep. Their rye is supposed to be really good too - if only they had it in Taiwan.

Surely. Their small batch ones are all good. Nothing wrong with Jim Beam either.[/quote]

I agree. Jim Beam’s not something I’d buy, but in a bar a Manhattan made with it tastes perfectly good.

I haven’t tried the Booker’s, as it is a bit pricey, but I know it has a good rep. Their rye is supposed to be really good too - if only they had it in Taiwan.[/quote]

PS: MJB, where do you get the Booker’s for 1800NT? At both Hengjiu and Batiao, it’s 2400NT.

Costco (Neihu) now has Kirkland Signature Small-Batch Bourbon (7yr/51.5% ABV) in stock (batch b-5183). Reviews are mixed, but at $599 a liter, it’s certainly tempting to try. A few people are suggesting it’s rebranded Knob Creek two years younger, and one commenter wrote of this batch [quote]
… a well crafted bourbon. One of the best buys on the market (while it lasts). Strong rye component gives it a character above and beyond sweetness.[/quote]

That is tempting. This isn’t encouraging, though a lot of the comments are positive:

matthew-rowley.blogspot.tw/2011/ … ature.html

I’ll give it a shot!

Finally connected with the Kirkland Bourbon. I like it. It is something from the Jim Beam range. It seems to me to have a lot more character than the bottle of JB Black I got at the airport recently.

Hi all,
Sorry to ask you this as I know you are all bourbon lovers but can somebody tell me if you can find J&B whisky in this city? I didn’t seem to find them in few supermarkets I went to. Am kinda desperate…LOL Thanks!

I can’t say I recall seeing it–but I haven’t been paying attention.

Try the monopoly bureau ? Or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

[quote=“maffedv”]Hi all,
Sorry to ask you this as I know you are all bourbon lovers but can somebody tell me if you can find J&B whisky in this city? I didn’t seem to find them in few supermarkets I went to. Am kinda desperate…LOL Thanks![/quote]

I forgot to say. Try Sundy - a supplier in Neihu. They have it. Spend 3000NT (or maybe it’s 5000NT) and they’ll deliver in the Taipei/Xinbei area.

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … nt_count=1

theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/10 … zehunting/

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … full#gid=0

I need some bourbon for the winter. Got to hit that store by Linsen maybe

This is probably the right thread to mention that Family Mart has JD’s and lemonade and JD’s and coke in a can up until Christmas Eve. I tried the lemonade mix and didn’t care for it much but I’m not a big whiskey drinker anyway.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote=“maffedv”]Hi all,
Sorry to ask you this as I know you are all bourbon lovers but can somebody tell me if you can find J&B whisky in this city? I didn’t seem to find them in few supermarkets I went to. Am kinda desperate…LOL Thanks![/quote]

I forgot to say. Try Sundy - a supplier in Neihu. They have it. Spend 3000NT (or maybe it’s 5000NT) and they’ll deliver in the Taipei/Xinbei area.

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … full#gid=0[/quote]

Thanks a lot, will check it out the soonest! I hope they still have them. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote=“maffedv”]Hi all,

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … full#gid=0[/quote]

Thanks a lot, will check it out the soonest! I hope they still have them. :slight_smile:

Good news! After a long dry spell of good value Heaven Hill Bourbons in Taiwan, my contact at Drinks.com.tw has confirmed that they will be importing two new Bourbons at the end of May. The two are:

1. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
  2. Evan Williams Small Batch 1783

I had inquired if they could import some cases of various items for me on a special basis, but after the news that these two are coming in I informed them that they should be sufficient. They were both on my inquiry list, so the saved me some time as special orders would take even longer.

So we can add the two above to Export Early Times KSBW and Export Kentucky Gentleman KSBW as soon to be available affordable quality alternatives to Jim and Jack. Drinks.com.tw may be getting some more brands, it was not clear- but those two will keep me happy.

Anyone interested in splitting cases? A booze bunker is always a good thing here in TW, you never know when products will disappear.

[quote=“papercut”]

Anyone interested in splitting cases? A booze bunker is always a good thing here in TW, you never know when products will disappear.[/quote]

absolutely