Breaking News. Explosions in Kaoshiung

Multiple underground explosions occurred in Kaohsiung City early this morning, causing severe damages, casualties and loss of life. I repeat, the damages are severe.
A map is provided below indicating the locations of the explosions.

Do what you gotta do.

Added,

This is the official evacuation zone. please evacuate to the green dots, which are schools.

bbc.com/news/world-asia-28594693

Yes what is going on ?

This looks awful. We are flying into Kaohsiung tonight for a short holiday, I cannot figure out where the explosions are from that map because I don’t read chinese and we wouldn’t want to fly into the middle of it - I’m sure the emergency services have enough to deal with without hotel-less tourists. Is there any emergency information in English where we would make sure we are out of the evacuation zone?

It looks like the affected area is west of the Cultural Center in central Kaohsiung. It’s not near the airport. If you post the address of your hotel we can tell you if you are close to it.

This is some crazy shit and that is a massive trench in the middle of the street.

The Kindness Hotel - apparently right next to the main railway station.

I eventually managed to figure out the map by comparing it to google maps in English - looks close but not too close - just the red-line metro which we planned to take from the airport to the hotel seems to have a red dot right next to it. I googled the metro company to see if they had any emergency information on the website (as HK MTR would if a station was affected) but cannot see anything. Either not affected or just too soon to know.

Article with photo…
news.ltn.com.tw/news/society/bre … ws/1069638

Wow, that’s impressive!

WHAT

THE

HELL

We have our fair share of shoddy pipework in Italy and we had explosion wrecking buildings, but I have never seen such mayhem before! O_o

Oh no! The pictures are scary. Hope all K-town flobbers are safe and well. :frowning:

It sounds like the gas (edit - a rumor of a petrochemical leak) leaked into sewer pipe and the entire sewer blew up. And I think there are at least two major streets affected. It will be very interested to know what actually happened, why it could happen and if it could happen somewhere else in Taiwan.

I would love to know which streets were cratered like the photo. I have heard Ersheng and Sanduo mentioned but I am not sure if it’s in that area or if those are the affected streets. (edit - 1km of Sanduo is definitely one of the cratered streets) (edit - Kaisyuan is another destroyed street).

Videos of the tragedy: cna.com.tw/news/firstnews/20 … 002-1.aspx

Map in English:
mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? … CosnL20JN0

(can someone copy paste the image , please?)

There:

This is insane. I haven’t seen so much random death and destruction in the span of ten days in Taiwan since… ever! Include our MRT stabbing earlier in the year, and it’s been a real bloody one so far.

Never seen anything like that in Taiwan. Horrifying.
:noway:

Massive gas explosion in Kaohsiung, over 20 people confirmed dead, and probably going to be more found in the rubble. Horrible.

bbc.com/news/world-asia-28594693

Dash cam recording some of the initial explosions. Scary!

Several hotels are opening their rooms for displaced residents in affected areas.

According to the latest news, the explosions were caused by leaking ethylene and propene pipelines and not methane as previously reported. Ethylene and propene do more serious damage. The pipes seems to belong to LCY Chemical Corp.

LCY Chemical Corp has in the 1980s poisoned a huge area of Hsinchu’s prime real estate by dumping formalin, DMF and benzene directly into the drainage for a decade. That area was deemed not safe to live for at least 50 years due to the soil containing high levels of cancer causing poison. That is why the area around Hsinchu’s fe-amart were not developed. However, the city has came up with clever ways to allow developers in and build housing complex for those unaware…

emergency information page on facebook. (Mandarin only) facebook.com/groups/333719706803625/

Information includes:

shelters and supplies,
reporting,
volunteer and donation,
search and rescue,
maps,
announcement,
name lists, (please call 1999 or 07-751-3105 for casualty list )
lost and found,

hackfolder info:
hackfoldr.org/Kaohsiung-explode-20140801/

[quote=“hansioux”]According to the latest news, the explosions were caused by leaking ethylene and propene pipelines and not methane as previously reported. Ethylene and propene do more serious damage. The pipes seems to belong to LCY Chemical Corp.

LCY Chemical Corp has in the 1980s poisoned a huge area of Hsinchu’s prime real estate by dumping formalin, DMF and benzene directly into the drainage for a decade. That area was deemed not safe to live for at least 50 years due to the soil containing high levels of cancer causing poison. That is why the area around Hsinchu’s fe-amart were not developed. However, the city has came up with clever ways to allow developers in and build housing complex for those unaware…[/quote]
Hijos de la gran puta.

[quote=“jesus80”]
Hijos de la gran puta.[/quote]

indeed.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“jesus80”]
Hijos de la gran puta.[/quote]

indeed.[/quote]

Nope, much lower.

But the company claims propylene is odorless, which is not consistent with the reports of strong gas smell before the explosions.