Breaking News. Explosions in Kaoshiung

Pollution is one thing but I seriously don’t think the government is going to let a disaster of this magnitude slide. I hope the company is held liable for this.

Actually, this wouldn’t be the first time that gas leaks from industrial pipelines caused deadly explosions in Kaohsiung’s Cianjhen district. CPC’s pipeline has also caused massive explosions back on Set. 13th 1997. The fire caused by that explosion burned from day to night and caused 14 deaths. The real reason behind that incident was also negligence.

Out of curiosity, why is there so little reporting of this on the Taipei Times and China Post? I mean there’s more coverage on the BBC!

Then all the local news channels have it rolling non stop, with what look like random chemistry teachers burning a selection of gasses!

Seriously, I feel like that somebody, probably many people, should die. And I don’t mean pedestrians, I mean rich motherfuckers who never give a shit about anything except money.

Too many people still missing. Too many in pain, homeless. Too much work to be done. If you pray, please do, if not, send good vibes.

[quote]As of 9:30 a.m. Friday, 24 people had been killed (including four police officers and volunteer firefighters), 259 injured (including 22 police and firefighters and five members of the Environmental Protection Administration’s toxic disaster emergency response teams), and three were missing. The fire departments are presently putting out one remaining fire in the area.

Officials have not yet been able to determine the cause of the gas leaks. The Hsin Kao Gas Co., which operates in the affected area, confirmed that none of its natural gas pipes had exploded and has closed off all nearby pipes. Currently, 23,600 households without gas, 7,536 without electricity (down from 12,256 earlier), 8,000 without water, and three CPC Corp. gas stations have been closed. The Ministry of Justice has instructed the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors Office to dispatch over 100 local prosecutors to inspect the blasts, with more to be sent as needed.

A total of 1,649 emergency workers and 324 vehicles are currently at the scenes performing rescue work, including 118 firefighters and 44 vehicles from the Kaohsiung City Fire Bureau. Also dispatched by the CEOC were 15 personnel and six vehicles from the Kaohsiung Harbor Fire Brigade, 12 personnel and four vehicles from the National Fire Agency’s special search and rescue team, 1,439 soldiers and 125 vehicles from the ROC Army, and 11 members of the Environmental Protection Administration’s toxic disaster emergency response teams. Fourty-five firefighters and 22 fire trucks have been sent from the Tainan City Fire Bureau, and nine firefighters and four fire trucks from the Pingtung County Fire Bureau. [/quote]
Official note from Executive Yuan

Hurt increased to 267 people, 25 dead.

BBC reporting possibly PROPENE from CPC pipelines blew up?

There are 3 companies with known pipelines running through the area. So far CPC and LCY have issued statement denying they are responsible. Didn’t see any news about CPDC yet.

There are 3 companies with known pipelines running through the area. So far CPC and LCY have issued statement denying they are responsible. Didn’t see any news about CPDC yet.[/quote]
Wait… I thought you said that the pipes belonged to LCY…

I can’t help thinking (and I hope I’m wrong) that this is going to be a case of 60 years of chabuduoism coming home to roost. From what I understand these are industrial-use gas lines piggy-backed on to the sewage system. Most likely corners have been cut, safety measures ignored, officials bribed to look the other way, the usual suspects. But then again gas explosions occur around the world quite frequently so who knows…

I think it’s all of the above. The thing is that in rural Texas where those explosions occur the population density is very low. Bring that sort of carnage to a CITY CENTER like Gaoxiong, then a more innocent lives are lost. It is quite sad if chabuduoism is indeed the shadowy culprit here.

There are 3 companies with known pipelines running through the area. So far CPC and LCY have issued statement denying they are responsible. Didn’t see any news about CPDC yet.[/quote]
Wait… I thought you said that the pipes belonged to LCY…[/quote]

The news that I read said officials have inspected CPC and CPDC pipelines and they were fine, so it’s most likely the fault of LCY. According to the officials, they received conversations of LCY personnels reporting a propane transfer from cgtdc to LCY never got to LCY, the officials said that transfer leaked and caused the explosion.

The latest news goes a bit further in pointing out that LCY propane pipelines were leaking at 4 ton/hour.

newtalk.tw/news/2014/08/01/49877.html

but I am sure every single company will issue a statement saying it’s not their pipeline.

pipelines around the affected area.

The orange-ish pipelines belongs HKgas to and the pink pipelines belongs to CPC.

The papers probably went to press before the incident happened.

The papers probably went to press before the incident happened.[/quote]

Sorry, I was meaning online.

Maybe they don’t have “real” reporters and just wait to read what others wrote?

Do not rule out the possibility of a terrorist attack. Think hard.

That’s not sofun.

usually a terrorist attack would be followed by a claim of responsibility to achieve the goal of the said terrorist act.

:popcorn:

I’m waiting for the finger pointing to begin. Underground pipelines, smell of petrochemicals, shoddy enforcement(see Dog Butcher) and you get this wonderful explosion with only 25 people dead so far. God must really love the Taiwanese.

I would want all underground gas pipes to be taken out of operation. Other then those supplying gas for home cooking. And perhaps resorting back to propane tanks is better then having gas lines underground?