Breaking News. Explosions in Kaoshiung

Knowing the location and the method that would need to have been used, I don’t have to think hard at all to know that this hypothesis is utterly and astonishingly ridiculous.

I’m waiting for the finger pointing to begin. Underground pipelines, smell of petrochemicals, shoddy enforcement(see Dog Butcher) and you get this wonderful explosion with only 25 people dead so far. God must really love the Taiwanese.[/quote]

With the explosions being on the streets (not under buildings) in a relatively quiet part of town, at midnight, I don’t know how you can possibly think that “only” 25 dead is because of a fictional deity’s grace and benevolence.

If I believed in such nonsense, looking at the number of dead and wounded in that particular area and time, I would suggest that this fictional deity’s machinations were working in direct opposition to your assumption.

However, in Taiwan, ___ [you fill in the blank]

However, in Taiwan, ___ [you fill in the blank][/quote]

Pseudo-intelligence right here, folks.

However, in Taiwan, ___ [you fill in the blank][/quote]

Pseudo-intelligence right here, folks.[/quote]

How about instead of terrorism, I change the wording to “foul play?”

There is no good evidence to rule out that possibility yet. There was a derailment case in Taiwan 8, 10 years ago.

I’m very sure somebody is shredding something as we speak.

[quote=“Taipan1975”][quote=“Okami”]:popcorn:

I’m waiting for the finger pointing to begin. Underground pipelines, smell of petrochemicals, shoddy enforcement(see Dog Butcher) and you get this wonderful explosion with only 25 people dead so far. God must really love the Taiwanese.[/quote]

With the explosions being on the streets (not under buildings) in a relatively quiet part of town, at midnight, I don’t know how you can possibly think that “only” 25 dead is because of a fictional deity’s grace and benevolence.

If I believed in such nonsense, looking at the number of dead and wounded in that particular area and time, I would suggest that this fictional deity’s machinations were working in direct opposition to your assumption.[/quote]

I read it as sarcasm.

[quote=“sofun”]There is no good evidence to rule out that possibility yet. There was a derailment case in Taiwan 8, 10 years ago.

I’m very sure somebody is shredding something as we speak.[/quote]
There is no evidence to rule out Pink Unicorns either. Review your logic: one doesn’t go about proving negatives.

[quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“sofun”]There is no good evidence to rule out that possibility yet. There was a derailment case in Taiwan 8, 10 years ago.

There is no evidence to rule out Pink Unicorns either. Review your logic: one doesn’t go about proving negatives.[/quote]

DAs and criminal investigation of the police already began their work.

I can image that things just blow up by themselves in the world of Pink Unicorns.

[quote=“sofun”][quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“sofun”]There is no good evidence to rule out that possibility yet. There was a derailment case in Taiwan 8, 10 years ago.

There is no evidence to rule out Pink Unicorns either. Review your logic: one doesn’t go about proving negatives.[/quote]

DAs and criminal investigation of the police already began their work.[/quote]
Congrats for completely missing the point of what I said. Police started working… and? Are they going to gather evidence to disprove every possible theory, no matter how far fetched, about the explosion? Man, I would not want to be on the “meteor impact” team.

Maybe it was just a bunch of stray cats eating GMO cat foods…

funnyordie.com/videos/37ddef … ts-explode

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Maybe it was just a bunch of stray cats eating GMO cat foods…

funnyordie.com/videos/37ddef … ts-explode[/quote]
I am going with this. After all, there is no evidence this wasn’t the case.

Anyone knows where relief funds can be sent to? Many people I know in the west want to pitch in with me but we’re not sure on what options are available for sending funds. Will not do Red Cross or anything like that.

Please post if you know.

Thank you.

It’s always possible that somebody has something to gain from someone else’s loss, especially if there is a lot to gain, financially.

Vilfredo Pareto would be proud of you. Also, I thought the Championship for Most Obvious Statement would not start until October 3rd.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Anyone knows where relief funds can be sent to? Many people I know in the west want to pitch in with me but we’re not sure on what options are available for sending funds. Will not do Red Cross or anything like that.

Please post if you know.

Thank you.[/quote]

According to this:

nownews.com/n/2014/08/01/1351187

You can do it at Familymart at their Famiport terminal.

I think there’s also a bank account you can wire relief funds to but I can’t find it.

Every bit helps. TV news even showed foreigners volunteering at the shelters where affected residents are currently staying. :thumbsup:

Too early to place blame but every bit of “information” is more and more disconcerting. For instance, there is no data on the pipelines of that area on one of the companies involved. Last time they filed such data with corresponding officials was in Minguo 86…

So, it seems that during those golden 3 hours, between the first call of something smells like gas leak and the explosions, the people involved did not have all data as to where and whose pipelines were where.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Anyone knows where relief funds can be sent to? Many people I know in the west want to pitch in with me but we’re not sure on what options are available for sending funds. Will not do Red Cross or anything like that.

Please post if you know.

Thank you.[/quote]

According to this:

nownews.com/n/2014/08/01/1351187

You can do it at Familymart at their Famiport terminal.

I think there’s also a bank account you can wire relief funds to but I can’t find it.[/quote]

Thank you. That bank account number would be great because the folks I need to inform are in the US.

I’m looking for something like that now.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”]Anyone knows where relief funds can be sent to? Many people I know in the west want to pitch in with me but we’re not sure on what options are available for sending funds. Will not do Red Cross or anything like that.

Please post if you know.

Thank you.[/quote]

updated Aug 12, emailed to me by officials from Kaohsiung City Hall. The instruction is for how to make donation from overseas to Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Sofun您好:
您於103年8月2日詢問海外捐款方式,經交本局處理,茲將處理結果敬復如下:
一、海外捐款資訊:
Beneficiary Bank: Bank of Kaohsiung , Municipal Treasury Dept.
(受款銀行名稱) SWIFT Code:BKAOTWTK

Beneficiary Name: Social Affairs Bureau of Kaohsiung City
(受款人姓名) Government Social Assistance Accounts
Beneficiary A/C No.: 102103031319 (ATM is not available)
(受款人帳號)
Remittance Information: 81 gas explosion
(備註)
Correspondent Bank: Check The Information Table as follows
(本行存匯銀行) (請見下表)
The Information Table
Please ask your banks to remit the funds to Bank of Kaohsiung account through one of the following banks:

USD / Citibank NA, New York / CITIUS33
EUR / Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt / DEUTDEFF
JPY / Wells Fargo Bank NA, Tokyo / PNBPJPJX
HKD / Shanghai Commercial Bank , Hong Kong / SCBKHKHH
AUD / WESTPAC BAKING CORP. Sydney / WPACAU2S
NZD / Westpac Banking Corporation, Wellington / WPACNZ2W
SGD / First Commercial Bank, Singapore / FCBKSGSG
GBP / Barclays Bank Plc, London / BARCGB22
CHF / UBS AG, Zurich / UBSWCHZH80A
SEK / Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken , Stockholm / ESSESESS
CAD / Royal Bank of Canada, Toronto / ROYCCAT2
ZAR / The Standard Bank of South Africa Ltd, Johannesburg / SBZAZAJJ
CNY / Bank Of China Limited,Taipei / BKCHTWTP888
二、另外目前衛生福利部亦開立國外捐款專戶,帳號為:007-09-11868-0(兆豐國際商業銀行國外部),戶名:衛生福利部賑災專戶(只受理新台幣),請註明「高雄氣爆救助專款」。
三、帳戶資料英譯如下:
(1)BANK NAME : MEGA INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL BANK CO., LTD.(BANK ADDRESS : NO.100, CHI-LIN Rd. TAIPEI CITY, TAIWAN)
(2)ACCOUNT NUMBER : 007-09-11868-0, SWIFT CODE:ICBCTWTP007
(3)BENEFICIARY’S NAME:MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND WELFARE DONATION A/C
(4)PHONE NUMBER (IF AVAILABLE): +886-2-85906666
(5)Only Accept:TWD
(6)To make donations areas out of Taiwan, the wire transfer information is as below
四、倘您匯款至衛生福利部開立之國外捐款專戶,收據部分將由衛福部開立並寄送至海外。倘您匯款至本局社會救助金專戶,匯款單影本請註明收據抬頭、寄送地址及聯絡電話等資料(書寫請以正體,避免無法辨認),傳真至07-3315872、07-3356213或以掃描、拍照等方式將圖檔寄送至 kcgsw3373373@gmail.com 信箱,本局將於收到匯款傳票影本或圖檔後,掣據函寄捐款人收執。
五、感謝您熱心公益,倘您對本案尚有疑義,請洽本局社福專線:07-3344885,本局同仁將竭誠為您服務。若對衛生福利部之海外帳戶有疑義,請洽衛生福利部:+886-2-85906623。

===========
original post by me.

Preliminary information:

The Social Affairs Bureau of Kaohsiung City has set up an account to accept donation. (FYI tml=http://socbu.kcg.gov.tw/?html=news_show.php&news_id=1723&start= )

The account number is 高雄銀行公庫部(i.e. Bank of Kaohsiung Treasury) 102103031319
The account name is 高雄市政府社會局社會救助金專戶 (my own translation:i.e., Kaohsiung City Social Affairs Social Welfare Funds Special Account)
Please write the reference/memo : 81氣爆 (i.e.,81 Gas Blast)
Please fax or email the City the following: the Mailing address for the City to mail you a receipt, Your name, and contact phone number/fax number.
(maybe email them directly at socbu.kcg.gov.tw/en/?html=chief_mail.php )

The swift code for Bank of Kaohsiung is
BKAOTWTK
(I looked it up myself)
swift-code.com/taiwan/