Brexit

We love Big Brussels. Who were the idiots who ever thought we could run our own affairs?

Wrexit keeps happening.

Like an evil ex-spouse showing their true colors after a bad marriage:

She blames the Portuguese immigration and borders service, SEF.

“SEF is wilfully, deliberately and systemically not adhering to the withdrawal agreement, resulting in the physical, emotional and financial suffering of thousands of UK nationals living in Portugal,” she said.

1 Like

So all of Europe is evil, not just Brussels now?

Come, come- you should realise by now that whatever goes wrong is always the fault of those perfidious malign foreigners, and never the fault of the hapless put-upon British.

Did you read the article? Whether you supported brexit or not, both sides agreed to not fuck over the foreign residents already there.

2 Likes

Eumao are everywhere in Europe but all roads lead back to Brussels and its pique that Britons chose not to part of One Europe while they still had a chance.

1 Like

Ireland’s GDP per capita is now more than double that of the UK. I never thought I’d see that happen.

I’m in England at the moment and it doesn’t feel poor, but that might be down to the people I mix with.

GNI per capita gives a better idea of what is going on.

Even then the UK is a bit low though.

It also has Australia pretty low on the list but I think most Australians should be doing quite well.

Norway , Denmark, Switzerland, these kind of countries feel rich.

No pleasing some people.

2 Likes

Inflation in the eurozone is continuing to soar to record highs, hitting 8.9 per cent in July.

Don’t forget Jolly Old:

UK inflation hits new 40-year high of 9.4% as cost-of-living crisis deepens. The consumer price index rose 9.3% annually, in line with a consensus forecast among economists polled by Reuters and up slightly from 9.1% in May.

1 Like

Does talk of the U.K. as if it’s still in Europe.

Way it is: Friend from my home town has sold his 3 bed terrace house, south east England, retiring to Northern Ireland, 4 bed modernised, extended farmhouse, with huge barn and 5 acres of paddock. Half the price he sold English house for. OK for some!
I’ve said I will never live the U.K. permanent ever again, not because of Brexit because I hate living there and did long before. retire to NI? When a Unified Ireland, before the house prices rise.
My older brother moved to Spain 3 years ago has now taken Spanish nationality with no intention of ever coming back to U.K.
The times they are a changing.

1 Like

Northern Ireland is beautiful and property is still cheap compared to ROI and England for sure.
Some areas need to he avoided and ppl can be dour and divided, but cant win em all…seems like a great choice.

Anyway…Brexit.

The glorious promised economic uplands of Brexit have not come to pass, notwithstanding the difficulties all of Europe faces , Brexit is definitely not going well. There are many articles on this but as the FT says…a deafening silence on the contribution of Brexit to it all.

To be clear I dont think the rest of Europe is fsr behind the UK in recessionary indicators, just that the UK is leading the pack somewhat.

Obviously the relative paucity of North sea oil and gas now compared to decades past is also worsening inflation there. USD strength means GBP and Euro getting hammered, GBP is coming off earlier brexit devaluation so even worse in that regard.

Yep challenges all around the world but Brexit so far seems to have been a big fail compared to its promises.

Just like how the germans ignored energy dependence, Trade barriers are also something you can just wish away.
Thwy are real, they often cause economic hardship.

For isntance many Irish people used to buy from amazon UK, it was quick and painless. Nie customs and import duties makes it a lottery akin to Taiwan importing from overseas. I used Amazon and they added taxes from the UK. I used a Dutch mobile site, no taxes. Guess which I will use in future?

Now Amazon is setting up a standalone operation in Ireland.

The brewery now has just one EU customer, a Berlin pub operator who travels to England by van to pick up the beer. The value of the Kent brewery’s annual beer exports have fallen from £600,000 to £2,000.

Virginia Hodge, export manager at the brewery, based at Tenterden, said: “Some transport companies won’t take alcohol now because of all the transit documents you need. I used to be able to make up a case of beer and send it by courier [to the EU] and now I have to send it through the full customs declaration. Our customers in Europe say they want to take British beer, but it’s just not cost effective. They’

1 Like

Personally I believe the BIGGEST problem from BREXIT relate to Service Agreements.They were never covered under the Hard Brexit agreement and we are starting to see big impacts on investment and trade. Boris biggest own goal was this. He is gone, but his legacy remains.

Services are the biggest part of the economy by far not manufacturing.

For instance data for European customers must be stored in the EU as far as I understand. Hence the big IT conglomerates putting data centers and Eurooean operations in EU countries in Ireland Holland etc, not the UK.

Broadly financial transactions must also be processed in EU for European union customers. Similar situation as above.

Its a free market but only within the club.

Theres a danger that GBP and the City will implode. Proabably not, but its there.

The UK ,and not only UK to be fair ,is stuck in a bind.
Raise interest rates or face massive inflation, but raising them means the govt ginances are in peril and businesses start going bankrupt also.

Says it all really.

These are astonishingly bad forecasts and the Tories and Brexiteers still in power!

• UK GDP growth forecast for 2022 is 3.3%, 0.2% in 2023 and 1% in 2024
  • Following a contraction of growth in Q2 2022 by 0.1%, quarter-on-quarter GDP growth is forecast to continue to decline in Q3 by 0.1% and Q4 by 0.3%, before a slight increase in growth of 0.2% in Q1 2023.
  • Household consumption forecast is for growth of 3.8% in 2022, growth of 0.3% for 2023 and 1.1% in 2024.
2 Likes

Back to blaming Brexit. No surprise. You seem obsessed with it. Strange, especially as you are not from the UK.
What happened to blaming Putin? His turn again next week?
The blame of anything is the clown CEOs currently running the governments and EU, backed and influenced by corporates.
The EU is not about self-sufficiency. That will never satisfy the corporates.
Mass centralization, is the desire of those that pull the strings from the EU to the WHO to the WEF.
You see it in the west from the desire to control thought (woke agenda), politics (outsiders are called fascists - also applies to thought), health (digital passports, WHO wants to control all ‘pandemics’ (at first)), Finance (end of cash - CDDCs), and so on.
A sterile mass of drones and their devices thinking the same while unelected elites decide what is best for them. Utopia.

4 Likes

Even the Daily Telegraph is now realising that Brexit is shooting yourself in the foot. UK standing is at an all-time low and government incompetence is eclipsing Italian standards.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be EU standards?

The incompetence would have happened if in the EU or not. Truss even admitted she was a part of the ‘managed decline’.
But don’t worry. I would say what with the recent meeting with clown Truss and the European Political Community (EPC) (Macron said about 2 months ago countries not in the EU could be invited) that the plan is for the EU to collapse and from its ashes the corporate technocracy will offer a new ‘better’ system.
The elites that always make their killings whatever system is in place, will be able to sell it to the UK populace as it would not be the EU. What with the managed decline and promises, it could be easy.
The fourth industrial revolution will roll on.
To ‘Build Back Better’ they have to destroy.
It won’t just be the UK.

1 Like